Question about time and route

Nathan the Calm

Hi,

I am new here to the forums and I started reading ASoIaF just one month ago.

I just read the first Dany POV in the second book. Now I ask myself about the time difference between the chapters. I know that the content of Danys chapters has to happen while the contents of the other chapters but are there any big differences?

Especially that part where Dany follows the comet. They must walked for a very long time to get that deep into the Red Waste where nothing big happened. In comparison in the Arya POV chapters I really have a feeling about the time they are travelling from King's Landing north and not even passed Harrenhal. I know it is not much known about the size of the Red Waste but to me it seems that they have travelled for at least a month.

What are your thoughts about that?

Dany has no map of the Red Waste in Essos. And also most of her party travels by foot. If I recall correctly, Arya and the group she was with was staying off of the King's Road to avoid any conflict on her way to the Wall. They aren't travelling at the speed of a horse's gallop, they each respectively have parties with them on foot and/or cart. The speed at which they travel is very slow.

It's faster to walk in a dry steppe guided by stars than it is to hack through forests while trying to avoid people under hard rain.

But then again, truly, Dany does not go that faster than Arya.

I don't think it's a good comparison. I read somewhere (I believe GRRM said it) that Dany's story was kinda out of sync, in comparison with the others.

Archived