Time-jumping at the beginning of TWOW.

Doing a re-read of ADWD, I was thinking about the time gaps that have elapsed between some characters' final chapters in the book and what that will mean at the start of TWOW.

Examples in point- Theon/Stannis etc. We know that the Theon gift chapter is taking place prior to the events of Jon's final ADWD chapter.

Davos. Davos disappears around c. chapter 30 in ADWD, and as I assume we're going to see Skagos, a time-jump will be necessary too.

Arianne- Areo's chapter is the first one after the Feast I believe, so it seems unlikely that Doran/Sand Snakes/Arianne etc. have simply been twiddling their thumbs since then (with perhaps the exception of Doran).

As I type this now, I realise this is more an observation than a theory, but I guess then I'm just wondering what others think about how these (assumed) jumps in time will affect the way the book reads when it's released.

Personally I think it will be quite interesting to be jumping back and forth for a stage, trying to piece different events together

I think with Arianne it doesnt need one, as apparently her chapter is her travelling to Griffons Roost and then being told that the army has already marched on storms end. The Theon one is definite, and with Davos, i guess we may see him earlier than the end of aDwD at skaagos, or he could just turn up at some point in the north with rickon and we hear it all as a memory like with sam and the Fist of the first men

Doing a re-read of ADWD, I was thinking about the time gaps that have elapsed between some characters' final chapters in the book and what that will mean at the start of TWOW.

Examples in point- Theon/Stannis etc. We know that the Theon gift chapter is taking place prior to the events of Jon's final ADWD chapter.

Davos. Davos disappears around c. chapter 30 in ADWD, and as I assume we're going to see Skagos, a time-jump will be necessary too.

Arianne- Areo's chapter is the first one after the Feast I believe, so it seems unlikely that Doran/Sand Snakes/Arianne etc. have simply been twiddling their thumbs since then (with perhaps the exception of Doran).

As I type this now, I realise this is more an observation than a theory, but I guess then I'm just wondering what others think about how these (assumed) jumps in time will affect the way the book reads when it's released.

Personally I think it will be quite interesting to be jumping back and forth for a stage, trying to piece different events together

Yes, I was thinking too, that peharps we don't get to see Bran in this new book, or that we see him only a few years older....or that peharps we get to see a Rickon POV, and he getting enveloped in something etc... I think a lapse of years would be ok for the development, os character such as Arya, Rickon...if not on this book, then the next.

Yes, I was thinking too, that peharps we don't get to see Bran in this new book, or that we see him only a few years older....or that peharps we get to see a Rickon POV, and he getting enveloped in something etc... I think a lapse of years would be ok for the development, os character such as Arya, Rickon...if not on this book, then the next.

I don't really mean that (but thanks for replying).

What I'm getting it is that in terms of distance, this is the first book of the series that may very well visit both every region of Westeros in addition to at the very least Braavos and Meereen in Essos. The geographic scope of this book dwarfs every other book so far.

As such, I think that it will almost be impossible that the narrative will be constant, so I think that we'll have even more examples of second-half accounts etc. to worry/trick us as readers.

Archived