Genealogy

Aldora92

It would be awesome if there was family trees going as far back as possible for all of the major houses, and a few of the smaller ones, and if it will be put in, some really fancy and old artwork would make it look awesome ;P

Good point. I heard somewhere in this subforum that there's def gonna be a Targ familly tree, but I'd also like to see one for all the major houses... Stark, Baratheon, Lannister, Martell, Tyrell, Tully, & Greyjoy, and also family trees for (some of) their bannermen. I once read somewhere that the Starks and Karstarks are related through a common ancestor. I'd like to know who and how far back, and if any of the other major houses are also related to their bannermen.

Good point. I heard somewhere in this subforum that there's def gonna be a Targ familly tree, but I'd also like to see one for all the major houses... Stark, Baratheon, Lannister, Martell, Tyrell, Tully, & Greyjoy, and also family trees for (some of) their bannermen. I once read somewhere that the Starks and Karstarks are related through a common ancestor. I'd like to know who and how far back, and if any of the other major houses are also related to their bannermen.

I think that all of the first men will have common ancestors, and a lot of the Andals will too, and somewhere between will be a few cross overs of the main houses... It would be nice to see entire Family Trees that interlink all of the houses... it would make it easier to see who would inherit certain titles should entire families die as this seems to get discussed a lot :P

And also which of the houses have Valyrian Steel weapons or weapons that have been passed down from father to son even if they are not Valyrian Steel, with very intricate artwork depicting them.

Also intricately designed banners and words.

I think the whole interconnected family tree would be awesome to see, but at the same time, complicated for someone to make and prob even more complicated for someone to look at the whole think and try to figure out how a Stark is related to a Targ, how far back the tree goes before they find a common ancestor, though like I said it would be AMAZING!

I think the whole interconnected family tree would be awesome to see, but at the same time, complicated for someone to make and prob even more complicated for someone to look at the whole think and try to figure out how a Stark is related to a Targ, how far back the tree goes before they find a common ancestor, though like I said it would be AMAZING!

I would buy several copies of the book if they managed it ;) And I assume they would only go back as far as the Conqueror and the king that knelt but perhaps with a house like stark they could go back to the age of heroes...

If they do it though, I would not like it to be like the family trees in the backs of the books, but really nicely designed pieces of artwork... even if they charged more money, for this alone I would be willing to pay for it :P

I used to wonder why GRRM didn't include any comprehensive family trees. Even the Starks- as central a family as the series has- are recorded back only two generations with any certainty. You can pick up an ancestor or two from three generations back hidden in bits of dialog, but compared to, say Tolkien's genealogy which makes up several appendices, we are left with little enough on the subject. My theory on this is that Martin intends the past, even the recent past, to be shadowy. If he creates a table in the back of the book then he has locked the past in and I believe that many of the questions of heritage are still open. Perhaps when all the books are complete and no more is to be written of Westeros he will give us such genealogy tables, but I doubt we will ever get anything going back to the age of heroes. That would be hundred of generations deep!

It would be wonderful, and not only the family tree but a little description of the important members. Something like the Targaryen one we already have that is almost complete and has some good descriptions in various characters.

I'm also really interested in House Velaryon since they also have the blood of the dragon, so I'm curious about their origins.

I've seen the Targaryen genealogy on the wiki and lemme tell you, they got pedigree collapse that'd make the Habsburgs look healthy. If GRRM hadn't specified that Westeros genetics don't function like Earth genetics, I would have found their relatively normal looks and behavior unbelievable.

• 1 month later...

First time back on the boards in along while...

Anyway, I was thinking on how awesome this would be, after the series is complete...

I really want a genealogy of the houses great and small that is large enough to take up an entire wall in my bedroom... sort of like the Black family tree in Harry Potter...

Archived