Who is this squire enthralled with tales of the Ninepenny Kings? Jaime?

jethrie

Hello,

I just read Feast chapter 38 from Jaime POV (http://awoiaf.wester...rows-Chapter_38), and one sentence surprised me:

[talking about Brynden Tully] but Jaime could still see the great knight who had once enthralled a squire with tales of the Ninepenny Kings

OK let's take it for granted that Brynden was a hero of this war (I don't remember reading it but after nearly four thousand pages of non-native reading I can't claim I remember everything from the books).

What surprises me is that this sentence suggests the squire in question was Jaime himself.

- Has Jaime squired for Brynden Tully in his youth? I don't remember it, and this doesn't seem to be the case as per the Wiki (though I only quickly glanced on the relevant pages, for fear I stumble on some spoiler).

- Has Jaime been impressed by tales of Tully's heroism while he was a squire for some other knight? I don't remember reading it either, and Dad Tywin didn't seem like the kind of guy to praise the Tullys (but maybe they were more friendly in the pastn before Cat wed a Stark).

Thanks for your insights (that is, reminding me what I've missed or forgotten; please don't spoil knowledge of future events).

Thanks and best regards,

J.

In an earlier Jamie chapter, he recalls how he once listened to the Blackfish talk about the War of the Ninepenny Kings.

"but at that age, no girl interested Jaime half so much as Hoster’s famous brother, who had won renown fighting the Ninepenny Kings upon the Stepstones. At table he had ignored poor Lysa, whilst pressing Brynden Tully for tales of Maelys the Monstrous and the Ebon Prince."

In the chapter you are referring to, Jamie just thinks back to that event and remembers himself as the squire that he was at the time.

Edit. If only i knew how to quote properly :dunno:

Wasn't he squiring for Barristan at that time?

At the age of eleven, Jaime was sent to Crakehall to squire for old Lord Sumner Crakehall alongside Merrett Frey. Two years later, while still a squire, he won his first tourney melee. At the age of fifteen, Jaime was knighted on the battlefield by Ser Arthur Dayne during the campaign against the Kingswood Brotherhood, during which he saved Lord Crakehall from Big Belly Ben and crossed swords with the psychotic Smiling Knight.

Hope that's clears up Jaime's squiring history :drunk:

Archived