A detail from the House Tyrell animated history and how it relates to Renly on the show

siberia82

I'm sure a lot of you by now have watched this bonus feature from GoT's second season, and Margaery at one point says, "If Lord Tywin Lannister had not vanquished the Mad King so suddenly, our siege would've destroyed Robert's home and his brothers..." While I have read the first three ASoIaF novels, it's easy for me to forget that a very young Renly was present at Storm's End when Mace Tyrell had laid siege to the castle. On the show, Stannis mentions that he was almost certain that his wife was going to die because she had reached the point where she couldn't speak, and since Renly was only a small child at the time, he also would've been in a similarly frail state.

TV!Renly is different from book!Renly, and I actually have a hard time picturing Gethin Anthony's interpretation of the character harbouring absolutely no ill feeling against Mace and his bannermen for wanting to starve him, his brother and the people who serve House Baratheon to death. His speech to Robert during their hunting trip certainly shows that he loathes it when powerful individuals cause great suffering to the innocent. Yes, he did fall in love with Loras (who was only a toddler during Robert's Rebellion, so of course Renly knows that his squire is completely blameless), but at least in my opinion, I don't think this romantic relationship---as precious as it was to him---would've been enough to wholly eliminate Renly's resentment towards Mace and the other lords of the Reach for bringing him near death's door.

Obviously whatever negative sentiment Renly may have quietly carried, his ambition to become king was much stronger, and we know how the rest of the story goes. I know my observation is an insignificant detail, but I was curious if there were any TV!Renly or House Tyrell fans who may have thought the same thing when they watched the featurette.

Archived