Common tongue Dothraki.

EunuchVarys

In the series Game of Thrones, Khaleesi Daenerys Targaryen speaks the common tongue a lot, and not just to Ser Jorah Mormont. I've seen her talk English to Dothraki, slaves and other people from Essos. Where have these people learned to speak the Common tongue? Or do they speak the Dothraki language and they translated it to the English because that makes it a lot easier for the series?

• 4 weeks later...

The Dothraki would need people who are able to communicate with people outside of the Khalasar, because they sometimes negotiate with others instead of straight out attacking them. Common then seems like the logical choice. Her handmaidens may have learned Common from her as she learned Dothraki from them.

Qarth is the 'center of the world' and a busy business hub, and she speaks to the traders, who have a good education and could really use Common to broker trade agreements and whatnot.

Most of the time she spoke Dothraki to the Dothraki. Especially Drogo who didn't know common. Irri of course knows common since her task was to teach Dothraki to Dany. Rakharo was obviously learning common which is evident from his talk with Jorah in episode 3.

The only place in season 1 where she speaks common in a strange place is when she adresses the remaining Dothraki at the funeral pyre. That would have made much more sense to do in Dothraki but my guess is that they kept it in english for the sake of the viewers. A similar thing happens when Jorah at the end is the one who bows down and says blood of my blood. That would have been much more appropriate for the Dothraki to say in Dothraki. Jorah saying it makes no sense.

The only place in season 1 where she speaks common in a strange place is when she adresses the remaining Dothraki at the funeral pyre. That would have made much more sense to do in Dothraki but my guess is that they kept it in english for the sake of the viewers. A similar thing happens when Jorah at the end is the one who bows down and says blood of my blood. That would have been much more appropriate for the Dothraki to say in Dothraki. Jorah saying it makes no sense.

I absolutely agree with this. That scene was great, but Dany speaking English/Common to the big group of Dothraki made no sense at all. It sort of ruined the immersion a bit for me.

Archived