Cyvasse, A complete compilation(Asking for Help)

Delmas

So I have recently got a really strong interest in game design and thoery, especially games like chinese and japanese chess. I was wondering if anyone could compile all mentions of cyvasse as well as cyvasse games in the books.

I am simply a commoner and I am sure there are people here with much vaster knowledge of the books and could do this faster then me re-reading all books.

Thanks in Advance!

PS I did a search and found lots of "rules" and stuff people have made up about the game, I am not interest in their interpetations at this point, just the exact quotes from the books.

If I missed a thread of this a link would be greatly appreciated.

Wait, so you don't want rules to how to play cyvasse, you just want all the times it is mentioned in the books?

Why?

I would like to form my own understanding and interpeptation and then compare to what others have come up with.

• 3 months later...

Hey Freerider - this is the list of quotes I've been working from (the page numbers may vary depending on which edition of the books you have):

Book Quotes

‍Feast of Crows

• Introduction
    • "There were ten different pieces, each with its own attributes and powers, and the board would change from game to game, depending on how the players arrayed their home squares." pg 226

[*]Myrcella vs. Prince

• "He always sets his squares up the same way, with all the mountains in the front and his elephants in the passes...So I send my dragon through to eat his elephants." pg 373

[*]Arianne and Prince Doran

• "She touched one of the cyvasse pieces, the heavy horse." pg 719

[*]Chapter 40

‍Dance with Dragons

• Tyrion vs. Haldon
    • "as they arranged their tiles on either side of a carved wooden screen...Tyrion almost grabbed his dragon but thought better of it. Last game he had brought her out too soon and lost her to a trebuchet...He moved his light horse toward Haldon's mountains...The Halfmaester moved his spears." pg 105

[*]Tyrion vs. Griff

• "Young Griff arrayed his army for attack, with dragon, elephants, and heavy horse up front...Tyrion moved his elephants." pg 151
    • "He picked up his heavy horse...Tyrion moved his crossbows...The dwarf pushed his black dragon across a range of mountains..." pg 152
    • "Smiling he seized his dragon, flew it across the board...Your king is trapped. Death in four." pg 153

[*]Qavo Nogarys vs. Big Man

• "onyx elephant...alabaster army...He moved his heavy horse." pg 155

[*]Qavo Nogarys vs. Tyrion

• Tyrion advanced his spearmen. Qavo replied with his light horse. Tyrion moved his crossbowmen up a square...toying with his rabble...plucking up his dragon. 'The most powerful piece in the game," he announced, as he removed one of Qavo's elephants...He moved his catapult again, closed his hand around Tyrion's alabaster dragon, removed it from the board." pg 156
    • "Near the end of that final contest, with his fortress in ruins, his dragon dead, elephants before him and heavy horse circling around his rear..." pg 325

We also have a quote from someone who was at a GRRM reading of a Tyrion WOW chapter about him placing his crossbows "on a hill" which is the only mention we have of any terrain elements other than Mountains (which I call a piece in my version) and Fortress.

Good luck.

Archived