Rickon Is A Terrifying Child

On my re-read nearing the end of AGoT and just finished the chapter where Bran, Osha, and Maester Luwin go to the crypts. Rickon is horror-movie terrifying in that scene! I really hope GRRM uses him a bit more in future books.

Also, on a somewhat unrelated note, a few chapters back is the scene where Mizi is supposedly using blood magic to revive Khal Drogo. While outside of the tents, shadows of a "great wolf" and a man "limned in flame" (or something similar) are projected on the silks of the tent. Has anyone figured out the symbolism for that? It just struck a cord as in the crypts the direwolves went a little crazy and the torch was dropped and burned Brandon Stark's statue.

I think the symbolism of the shadow wolf and man in flames may relate to the Starks and Stannis, or something to do with the Red God anyway. Since she says that death will be in the tent the wolf could be a foreshadowing of Robb's death but what that means for Stannis I don't know...

Rickon Stark, Lord of Winterfell.

I too eagerly await future scenes with this odd little child. He's the one Stark kid who never had the chance to learn leadership and honour from his father. It'll be interesting to see how he turns out... although we'll probably never get the chance to know him past the age of 6 or so.

Archived