The Original Northern Crown

WinterKing

By chance, did you happen to see the actual argument for it?

lol. There's a certain irony here in that you find this a less horrible fan theory.

Anyway, here's the post on it:

If there is anything about R=L at all, I think it's Torrhen's crown. One of Cat's chapters leaves the fate of this crown very open-ended: "The ancient crown of the Kings of Winter had been lost three centuries ago, yielded up to Aegon the Conqueror when Torrhen Stark knelt in submission. What Aegon had done with it no man could say."

Given all of the crown symbolism surrounding Lyanna, I think this really makes the most literary sense as an object, and would serve as a token at once proving Rhaegar's love (returning an item taken by his forebears), as well as a nod to Jon's royalty given their likely marriage. This bronze and iron crown in particular is more meaningful for Jon than a Targ relic, I think, because, while it hints about his parentage, that hint is about returning and restoring a Northern identity, something I don't believe Jon would give up even after learning about R+L. It would also add an interesting wrinkle to his vow to wear no crowns, given that a strong KitN/ King of Winter could be extremely useful as a power symbol behind which to rally.

I completely agree with and love this theory butterbumps! I'm sure I've agreed elsewhere, but I'm glad you showed up here to elaborate. The most resonant part, IMO, is the crown symbolism that is so strong with Lyanna. The idea of Rhaegar symbolically returning the royal relic of the North as a symbol of his commitment to Lyanna and their child is also quite compelling.

Jon swearing to "wear no crown" continues the vein of Mithraic parallels in Jon's arc which began with the death of the White Bull and continues with the constant presence of crows in Jon's storyline.

Jon could symbolically possess the crown bestowed by his father, the heir to the House it was surrendered to, in trust to House of his mother and its true heir, and thus "wear no crown" while being its de facto leader.

By chance, did you happen to see the actual argument for it?

lol. There's a certain irony here in that you find this a less horrible fan theory.

Anyway, here's the post on it:

If there is anything about R=L at all, I think it's Torrhen's crown. One of Cat's chapters leaves the fate of this crown very open-ended: "The ancient crown of the Kings of Winter had been lost three centuries ago, yielded up to Aegon the Conqueror when Torrhen Stark knelt in submission. What Aegon had done with it no man could say."

Given all of the crown symbolism surrounding Lyanna, I think this really makes the most literary sense as an object, and would serve as a token at once proving Rhaegar's love (returning an item taken by his forebears), as well as a nod to Jon's royalty given their likely marriage. This bronze and iron crown in particular is more meaningful for Jon than a Targ relic, I think, because, while it hints about his parentage, that hint is about returning and restoring a Northern identity, something I don't believe Jon would give up even after learning about R+L. It would also add an interesting wrinkle to his vow to wear no crowns, given that a strong KitN/ King of Winter could be extremely useful as a power symbol behind which to rally.

I love ya Butterbumps, I really like this theory. It would be a huge symbol of affection and respect.

Archived