Great Other Champion (crackpot)

Tommens Cat

I'm not exactly sure of the timeline of this and SoS is being lent to my girlfriends grandma, but I recall that Mel mentions the others champion in SoS. That's also the book arya joins HoBaW. The Many Faced God has no name and the Great Other has no name. What if TMFG is the Great Other and arya is the champion?

Well I think if she were then Mel would have killed her on the show and I don't think show would change such a great thing.But Great Other and Others were sleeping all this time so I don't think FM is one of their organization.I mean Arya as champion seems a little stupid I mean she is not a great fighter or a magician so that is a no.

I have definitely considered the idea that, if the Great Other were to actually be represented more-or-less literally as an existing deity worshiped by another of the religions found in the series, the Many-Faced God is probably the best candidate. Melisandre has repeatedly associated R'hllor with life and the Great Other with death, to the extent that it would seem quite obvious that is a matter of doctrine to all R'hllor-ians. By contrast, the god of the Faceless Men is quite explicitly death, to the point that it has absorbed the death-figures of many, if not all, other religions and cultures. If this theory is true, than Arya might be a good bet for any possible "champion" - this might even represent the full significance of the Hag of High Heart's fear of her.

However, there are other possibilities that could fit the description. Mel herself thinks the Old Gods/Bloodraven are her enemies, which would make either Brynden himself or young Bran the champion. The Drowned God certainly represents a glorification of death; perhaps Aeron or, at a stretch (but a potentially intriguing one) Patchface would stand for the Great Wet One. That example is weakened by the fact that there is no direct evidence of any magical goings-on related to the Ironborn, but there is another death-focused (or at least death-defying) group we've met during the series: the Warlocks of Qarth. It is unclear whether the creepy blue-floating-heart collective would be the Great Other, or the champion.

Personally, I think it is unlikely that R'hllorian dogma is so spot-on as to have correctly determined that their God has an equal and opposing God making war on them; in fact, I doubt that R'hllor, himself, exists. I think, rather, that Mel's preoccupation with the Great Other may turn out to be a self-fulfilling prophecy, one in which her Manichean belief in her own goodness and attendant willingness to use questionable and dangerous means could lead her to inadvertently create a supernatural threat tantamount to the Great Other, if not literally being the figure of her beliefs. Dondarrion and Stoneheart (and especially the progression from the former as a living man to the latter as more-or-less a walking corpse), as well as Mel's magic's adverse affect on Stannis, and the disturbing nature of her magic in general, have informed this theory.

I have definitely considered the idea that, if the Great Other were to actually be represented more-or-less literally as an existing deity worshiped by another of the religions found in the series, the Many-Faced God is probably the best candidate. Melisandre has repeatedly associated R'hllor with life and the Great Other with death, to the extent that it would seem quite obvious that is a matter of doctrine to all R'hllor-ians. By contrast, the god of the Faceless Men is quite explicitly death, to the point that it has absorbed the death-figures of many, if not all, other religions and cultures. If this theory is true, than Arya might be a good bet for any possible "champion" - this might even represent the full significance of the Hag of High Heart's fear of her.

However, there are other possibilities that could fit the description. Mel herself thinks the Old Gods/Bloodraven are her enemies, which would make either Brynden himself or young Bran the champion. The Drowned God certainly represents a glorification of death; perhaps Aeron or, at a stretch (but a potentially intriguing one) Patchface would stand for the Great Wet One. That example is weakened by the fact that there is no direct evidence of any magical goings-on related to the Ironborn, but there is another death-focused (or at least death-defying) group we've met during the series: the Warlocks of Qarth. It is unclear whether the creepy blue-floating-heart collective would be the Great Other, or the champion.

Personally, I think it is unlikely that R'hllorian dogma is so spot-on as to have correctly determined that their God has an equal and opposing God making war on them; in fact, I doubt that R'hllor, himself, exists. I think, rather, that Mel's preoccupation with the Great Other may turn out to be a self-fulfilling prophecy, one in which her Manichean belief in her own goodness and attendant willingness to use questionable and dangerous means could lead her to inadvertently create a supernatural threat tantamount to the Great Other, if not literally being the figure of her beliefs. Dondarrion and Stoneheart (and especially the progression from the former as a living man to the latter as more-or-less a walking corpse), as well as Mel's magic's adverse affect on Stannis, and the disturbing nature of her magic in general, have informed this theory.

Good work!

Good work indeed.

Archived