Why Do Southerners underrate the wall?

Abyssalix

Now that I think about it, why have tales of the Others turned into silly children's folk tales, but it is well and I mean well documented and accepted that dragons existed. their skulls are in king's landing and most know the story of the Targaryen Conquest.

Dragons. A-okay to believe in. The Others? You're a silly child, they don't exist!

It's because dragons are well documented and there are factual proofs of their past existence (the skulls), unlike the Others (the Andals brought writing to Westeros, the First Men had only oral stories and runes no one knows how to read anymore, if they ever were an alphabet in the first place). Fast forward 8000 years (when the documents will be probably lost, and only R'hllor knows what could happen to the skulls) and dragons will be fairy tales material too. And I don't remember exactly where, but in the books it is mentioned some peasants have already started questioning the existence of dragons...

Same way I don't understand how one could believe in an abrahamic god but dismiss the greek/norse/egyptian gods as ancient myths.

I ask myself the same question everyday. How can people believe in an abrahamic god ?

Now that I think about it, why have tales of the Others turned into silly children's folk tales, but it is well and I mean well documented and accepted that dragons existed. their skulls are in king's landing and most know the story of the Targaryen Conquest.

Dragons. A-okay to believe in. The Others? You're a silly child, they don't exist!

Same way I don't understand how one could believe in an abrahamic god but dismiss the greek/norse/egyptian gods as ancient myths.

Simply passage of time I suppose.

The Others haven't been seen in several millennia, whereas dragons were around less than two hundred years ago.

There's probably some elderly people in Westeros who still tell stories about how there parents or grandparents saw living dragons. White Walkers, not so much.

I read this the other day--I wish I could remember where--the quote was: "A girl drowning in a lake is a tragedy. A thousand people dying in an earthquake is news."

That's just the way the human mind processes distant things, faraway threats, enormities that may be incredibly important but don't register in an immediate, intimate way.

Its just the time period TBH. The last dragons were seen a few hundred years ago and there is proof that dragons existed (the bones in the Red Keep) and also any historians have records of said dragons. However, as for the White Walkers, they haven't been seen for millions of years and even then, people doubt that they have ever existed because no one has ever seen them and lived. Even if they have, they are dismissed as being crazy, e.g, the Night Watch Deserter that Ned executed in Game of Thrones.

Archived