i find it hard to picture neds and robert's friendship

ramajama

Robert wasn't a complete jerk, he was capable of great generosity and seemed like a very warm and friendly kind of guy, even if you're not a tavern wench or farmer's daughter. He's the kind of cheerful, fun loving guy that makes friends easily, a bit like Renly i guess. Ned has also probably also a little less uptight and serious before his father and brother were executed and his sister died. They were both kids a long way from home, and i guess opposites attract. I picture Ned as being a shy and slightly serious kid, and Robert being a boisterous one who saw it as his mission to bring Ned out of his shell. As a former shy kid, i've had friends like that.

totally agree.

in addition

Robert was reckless and Ned was thoughtful.

Where the one spent money, the other saved , where the one charged for an attack the other watched his back.

Each one's strengths was the other's weaknesses, so they made a GREAT team. And no doubt they shared good times as well. Their team spirit continuted into the Rebellion, which probably strengthened it. Sadly, once the war was won, one had the throne and abused it and the other had seen his family destroyed and for what? Nonetheless, even when people go separate ways, if there's not a great falling out they remain attached. A great pity Robert was so undisciplined and inept that he lured Ned south to both of their undoings.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be an unusual match in retrospect, since at least later years they still eyed at each other's peculiarities, even having slight conflicts over their different views on things.

But they do have a long history with one another, growing up together as youth, going to war together, losing loved ones together. That could create a bond with anyone, even between contrasting people. And it is not like they were able to meet a huge population of potential buddies, they didn't have facebook or cars, but living in a smaller isolated areas usually, with limited folks.

Archived