LF told Stannis about the bastards: What set the story in motion?

Jon of the Dead

For a while now I'm a firm believer of the fact that Littlefinger told Stannis about Robert's bastards (indirectly, of course). Of all possible suspects, Littlefinger has the most to win: By having Stannis and Jon Arryn know about the bastards, he gives Cersei or the Lannisters in general a motive for possibly killing Jon. Ned and most readers believed for a long time that Cersei killed him because he learned about the twincest, so it is a perfect framing.

Other suspects have nothing to gain from telling Stannis:

1) Varys: He wanted to delay the war not accelerate it.

2) Pycelle: He wanted to keep the Lannisters in power, so no.

3) Stannis figured it by himself: Could be, but this leads me to the second part of my post:

Every story has a catalyst, an event that sets the narrative in motion. Stannis and Jon knowing about the twincest sets a lot of plots in motion. If we say that Stannis woke up one day and thought "hum, I think Cersei might be cheating on Robert, i'm gonna find out", it's kind of a weak catalyst.

My theory is that LF tipped him off, but why do it now? LF must've known about the twincest for ages, with the amount of spies he has. So why tell Stannis at exactly this point in history? What is especial about this particular point in history to start a war?

So this leads me to think that certain seeds planted by LF were starting to grow. Maybe years of teasing Lysa had started to pay off, maybe he had finished his scheme as Master of Coin and the 7K were sufficiently in debt by then, maybe he had already made useful contacts (like Lyn Corbray or the Hardyings of the Vale).

What do you think LF was waiting for before he made his move?

PS: I know many people think Stannis figured it out by himself, but Varys in aCoK pretty much tells Tyrion someone whispered it to him. I know, not exactly reliable, but it makes more sense from a narrative point of view.

IIRC, Stannis told Jon because he thought that if he told Robert it would look self-serving.

Stannis brought his suspicions to Jon, and Jon worked to find proof of it.

I think there are multiple reasons Stannis didn't tell Bob, that one was probably one of them.

You forgot Melisandra. If she sees a certain brother or sister in her fires, and tips off to Stannis, this could have been the act that made him a firm believer that her power was real, whether or not her god was.

Still, I can't of dislike the story if nearly every event can be traced to a small handful of "players." It is so incredibly unrealistic. Do you think Obama knows how he became president? He did the same schtick pretty much all politicians do, and somehow it struck a cord with enough people, and BOOM, president. Why couldn't Stannis figure it out himself?

Or, maybe it was Davos, who saw those kids and said, "I can't believe they are Robert's."

Its worth noting that the discovery of the lineage of the royal children sets in motion the vents that lead to the war of five kings, however, every other part of the story would be happening regardless.

Danys dragons would still be born and she would still have set off on her own journey. Its very unlikely much else wouldve changed for her.

The Others would still be waking and causing havoc north of the wall and it stands to reason the Nights Watch story wouldnt have changed much either.

Given this, its even entirely possible that there is some sort of magical/supernatural inciting incident for the war of five kings as well. Maybe not but doesnt seem too far fetched. Im not sure what exactly but it certainly would seem to favour the Others. Fighting a broken and bleeding realm is a lot easier than fighting against a realm united. Could they (or their leader) have had a hand in the goings on in Westeros?

Littlefinger hates Stannis. He would never tip him off that he is heir to Westeros. That would dramatically increase the chances of Stannis taking the throne.

Interesting that Stannis did find it out though, doesn't seem like something he would figure out. But then again, he was running things with Jon and was probably scowling at everything that seemed perverse to him in King's Landing.

Littlefinger hates Stannis. He would never tip him off that he is heir to Westeros. That would dramatically increase the chances of Stannis taking the throne.

Interesting that Stannis did find it out though, doesn't seem like something he would figure out. But then again, he was running things with Jon and was probably scowling at everything that seemed perverse to him in King's Landing.

LF would tip off in order to start a war, not out of love for him

While Littlefinger is very much a Magnificent Bastard (worth capitalisation), it doesn't necessarily follow that he's responsible for EVERY bad thing that happens in Westeros. Other people have brains too, you know. ;)

Archived