Is there an actual "lie" to slay here?

Jon of the Dead

Ok, I need some feedback from all you smart people because I don't get this.

So, the 3 lies Dany is destined to "slay" are:

1) "Glowing like sunset, a red sword was raised in the hand of a blue-eyed king who cast no shadow." This one's pretty clear, is Stannis as the false AA.

2) "A cloth dragon swayed on poles amid a cheering crowd" Clearly refers to (f)Aegon.

3) "From a stone tower, a great stone beast took wing, breathing shadow fire" Many people agree that this Melisandre sacrificing someone with king's blood (likely Shireen) to supposedly wake dragons from stone, whatever that is.

Now, the problem is that I can see how Dany is supposed to "slay" the 1st and 2nd lies because they deal with specific individuals and specific claims (Mel claiming Stannis is AA and (f)Aegon claiming to be a real Targ).

But I don't see how the 3rd lie can be "slay" (I'm guessing this means "proven to be false", unless it means actually "slay", as in Dany will kill both Stannis and Aegon, which is interested and can be discussed here as well too) because it's nothing concrete, unless Mel actually achieves something by burning Shireen, but something "false", like using her glamour in some way to make people believe the sacrfice worked. Any guesses on what that could be?

Another interpretation of the stone beast is Jon Connington, a griffin with greyscale.

Oh, yes, this makes sense! That's why the prophecy doesn't specifically say "dragon", and it even explains the "breathing shadow fire" part, because from Varys' riddle, we know "shadow" means "lies", and the stone beast breathing shadow fire would be JonCon spreading the word about Aegon.

Now I wonder if Dany is going to kill Stannis, Aegon and JonCon :frown5:

Perhaps one of the lies, the last one is herself in some way or how. Or the "lies" that she thinks are told against her father and family but are actually truths. Her learning the painful truth / slaying the "lies" she has been clinging on to since she was young.

One possibility is that someone, not necessarily not Melisandre, but possibly Euron, will awaken a stone dragon and present this as a real dragon. Euron has coerced the help of warlocks who might inspire him to head to Dragon Stone and sacrifice someone with king's blood like Melisandre wanted to do in ASoS. According to Melisandre, at least one of the stone dragon statues allegedly can be made to awaken if this deed is performed.

The lie would be that the stone dragon is not a true dragon (one of the "false dragons" that Moqorro mentions). Dany comes with three real dragons and clarifies that difference between the true dragons and the counterfeit one, thus slaying the lie.

One possibility is that someone (not necessarily not Melisandre, but possibly Euron, will awaken a stone dragon and present this as a real dragon. Euron has recruited the help of warlocks who might be able to inspire the idea of making a human sacrifice at Dragon Stone like Melisandre wanted to do in ASoS. The lie would be that the stone dragon is not a true dragon (one of the "false dragons" that Moqorro mentions). Dany comes with three real dragons and clarifies that difference between the true dragons and the counterfeit one, thus slaying the lie.

Yes, that's a possibility, maybe the warlocks can use a glamor similar to Melisandre's. The tv show definetely hinted at the warlocks abilities to shapeshift, but who knows if that's reliable.

Other possibility I was considering, and maybe this is a little too far fetched, is that maybe someone, maybe the Tyrells, come up with lots of obsidian from dragonstone to kill the Others and everyone believes them, but maybe Stannis was wrong and that obsidian doesn't work, maybe the one Jon found in the Fist was special, blessed by the CotF or something.

Maybe the stone dragon part means that it comes from Dragonstone and the shadow fire is a way of saying that the obsidian from there doesn't work as real dragonfire to kill Others.

Yes, that's a possibility, maybe the warlocks can use a glamor similar to Melisandre's. The tv show definetely hinted at the warlocks abilities to shapeshift, but who knows if that's reliable.

Perhaps it would be something more powerful than glamor and the enchantment would make the stone beast follow the commands of whoever made the human sacrifice and thus it could be employed in combat. I have been wondering whether a battle will take place between the real dragons and the "stone beast" that breathes shadow fire. If Victorian ends up a dragon rider via the Valryian horn, then Euron and Victarion could then have a show down in the skies.

Perhaps it would be something more powerful than glamor and the enchantment would make the stone beast follow the commands of whoever made the human sacrifice and thus it could be employed in combat. I have been wondering whether a battle will take place between the real dragons and the "stone beast" that breathes shadow fire. If Victorian ends up a dragon rider via the Valryian horn, then Euron and Victarion could then have a show down in the skies.

That sounds like a Golem. Interesting, GRRM might borrow from judeochristian myths, who knows

Archived