House Stark: What Could Have Been

Reek Da Villain

If Rhaegar never ran off with Lyanna---and Brandon never went to King's Landing---House Stark could have been the most powerful house in the Seven Kingdoms. Lyanna would have married Robert Baratheon, Lord of Storm's End---Brandon would have married Catelyn, eventually becoming Lord of Winterfell and gaining the support of Riverrun---and Eddard could have married his love interest, Ashara Dayne.

In this world marriage alliances are extremely important. Especially as a war strategy. Perhaps Lord Rickard's "southern ambitions" included marrying his children into great houses, thus bolstering his house and expanding his influence. Lord Rickard could have been grandfather to the Lords of Storm's End and Starfall. House Dayne is a historical house and I'd wager they have the support of House Martell and subsequently Dorne. Lord Rickard could have also arranged a marriage for Benjen.

Who could have opposed that?

This is all possible, but I think that Hoster Tully could have done better, and he might have been aiming to.

Catelyn would have married Brandon, connecting the Tully's and Starks.

Lysa could have married Jaime if he didn't join the KG, joining the Tullys and Lannisters.

Edmure could have had several marriage options.

Add that with the Riverlands being wealthy and in the South, and the Tullys could have easily become one of the most well connected and strongest houses. The Starks wouldn't be bad off, but I think the Tullys had the potential to be more powerful.

Archived