Stannis's Court

Stannis has often said how he wants to scour the court clean like robert should of done after the trident but it comes to question, who does or will make up his court? He has no kingsguard, he offered the master of laws to renly but he was shot down, his hand is davos but what about masters of coin, ships, wispers and the grand maester? will he keep any of the old court members (i doubt it), will he respect such positions as grand maester and either let pycell remain or let the citadel ellect a new one, will he try to claim his brothers old kingsguard or start from scratch? any thoughts?

I imagine he has quite a few capable soldiers easily able to make a fine addition to his Kingsguard. Ser Richard Horpe was actually denied by Cersei if I'm not mistaken for the Kingsguard because he was too much of a slayer. That's exactly what I look for in a guard personally. As for the rest of the positions, with those titles comes power, so there will always be people clamoring for them.

One would think Melisandre would make a good Master of Whispers, what with being able to see the future and being underhand in general. With the Grand Maester, Pycelle would probably die soonish anyway so the Citadel would send a new Grand Maester. He seems to respect the LC of the Night's Watch is elected by the brothers as the grand maester is by the other maesters, so he'd swallow who ever he got sent, I suppose. Master of coin, might keep Littlefinger anyway? He seems exceptionally skilled as one, surely that outweighs wanted to overhaul the small council even considering Stannis is iron. I mean he has debts to pay to the Iron Bank, he'll need skilled people. He'd execute Jaime as Commander of the Kingsguard, if he's still alive, for kingslaying and I get the feeling he'd send the rest of the Kingsguard to the Wall since they haven't broken any laws as such but they are obligated to serve for life. As to master of ships and laws, I'm not sure. If Stannis sits in small council meetings, surely the King's Hand is a superfluous role and Davos could be MoL?

I imagine he has a list of people he might trust, or at least would prefer to approach first. We probably don't know many of them.

I suppose he would find Grand Maester Pycelle generally useless, and ask the Citadel for a new one, which they would likely oblige. He would not trust anyone from Dorne or the Reach, certainly not the Westerlands, and would be hard put to contain their representatives on the Small Council - if they are required to have voices there. A lot of schemers would be told to get packing. Littlefinger, I believe, was opposed to Stannis because he knew Stannis would want his head. Varys likewise.

Archived