Joffrey's first day of court

Okay, so on my second reading and listening through ACoK, I totally picked up on this. On Joffrey's first day of court as king, he only dealt out a few punishments (five I believe). Now I don't have the exact wording (but I could I find it) one of the people who came into court was described as a woman who came in begging for the traitor's head because she loved him. Joffrey sends the woman off to the dungeons.

"Who's the traitor?" you might ask. Well, very shortly beforehand Joffrey told Sansa he was merciful for only taking off her father's head because for all other traitors he would flay them and have them ripped apart or whatever deranged thing deranged Joffrey says. I kept thinking it sounded so obvious that: 1) Eddard was beheaded, 2) Joff states he was merciful by taking off his head (all other traitors would get a worse punishment), 3) and then a woman who claims to have loved the traitor and wants his head.

Who was the woman? I immediately thought Jon's mother. The secret woman Eddard wouldn't even talk about. Now I've read a few other theories on here about who Jon's mother Wylla might be, so with those theories, some help and some don't. Or maybe it was just some crazy woman.

Did anyone pick up on this part or am I being odd?

A Game of Thrones Chapter 67

A thief was brought before him and he had Ser Ilyn chop his hand off, right there in court. Two knights came to him with a dispute about some land, and he decreed that they should duel for it on the morrow. “To the death,” he added. A woman fell to her knees to plead for the head of a man executed as a traitor. She had loved him, she said, and she wanted to see him decently buried. “If you loved a traitor, you must be a traitor too,” Joffrey said. Two gold cloaks dragged her off to the dungeons.

Okay, so on my second reading and listening through ACoK, I totally picked up on this. On Joffrey's first day of court as king, he only dealt out a few punishments (five I believe). Now I don't have the exact wording (but I could I find it) one of the people who came into court was described as a woman who came in begging for the traitor's head because she loved him. Joffrey sends the woman off to the dungeons.

"Who's the traitor?" you might ask. Well, very shortly beforehand Joffrey told Sansa he was merciful for only taking off her father's head because for all other traitors he would flay them and have them ripped apart or whatever deranged thing deranged Joffrey says. I kept thinking it sounded so obvious that: 1) Eddard was beheaded, 2) Joff states he was merciful by taking off his head (all other traitors would get a worse punishment), 3) and then a woman who claims to have loved the traitor and wants his head.

Who was the woman? I immediately thought Jon's mother. The secret woman Eddard wouldn't even talk about. Now I've read a few other theories on here about who Jon's mother Wylla might be, so with those theories, some help and some don't. Or maybe it was just some crazy woman.

Did anyone pick up on this part or am I being odd?

That's a neat theory, it's possible. Either GRRM wrote it that way so us readers speculate that it may be Jon's mother (I doubt it's Jon's mother, maybe a relative, friend or lover), or he didn't mean to and he meant for her to be just a random peasant woman really wanting her companions head.

If its a Sansa chapter then she would definitely know if the mystery woman was talking about Ned. The indication to me is that he's some other peasant with a common, forgettable name, Sansa hardly notices the event.

GRRM has mentioned that Sansa isn't the most reliable narrator. This could quite possibly be Ashara Dayne in disguise, jailed for loving a traitor, taken by Varys (Seeing as he is Rugen the gaoler and probably knows who she is) across to Pentos and becomes Septa Lemore.

...or maybe its not Ashara, but still a possibility for being Jon's mother seeing as Sansa is absolutely distraught over Neds death and also such a terrible narrator that we aren't allowed more information and specifics through her POV about this woman, so it definitely could be something important to come and Varys is able to reveal it to us later.

Good find MightyWargingCommanderTime!

Archived