Opinions on Pycelle

Knight Of Winter

He was a Cersei's puppet there, but he was a Tywin's creature, he did all for House Lannister, I think Pycelle's origins is from the Westerlands, he is really devoted to House Lannister, of course he liked his comforts, he had a good life so he sucked who was in the power, but he was Tywin's, the whole time.

He was a corrupted person, he was taking women to bed and we know maesters have a chastity vow, he was there to serve the realm, but he was serving House Lannister

My opinion remains the same, he was a rat

Why do you think so?

Probably. How do you picture a Citadel puppet? Not as a regular Maester, I assume?

Very interesting. Seeing as though many on the forum have proposed that the citadel has anti-Targ leanings, Pycelle's seemingly pro-Lannister actions could have just been steps taken to ensure the downfall of the Targ dynasty. I like Pycelle even more now.

All his actions were against enemies of the Citadel, who were conveniently also enemies of the Lannisters. House Lannister was the most powerful, non-magical faction, so the Citadel decided to bet on it:

- Pycelle told Aerys to open the gates to Tywin: bye bye Targs

- Pycelle let Jon Arryn die, keeping the secret of the incest, but also taking a crutial witness from Stannis, who was at this point allied with a red priestress and proclaiming a new faith, which I don't think the Citadel likes

- Pycelle let Robert die for the same reason, to weaken Stannis' claim

- I think Pycelle and the Citadel started to switch sides in aFfC when Cersei began to destroy the alliance with her paranoia. The Tyrells then became the safest, most powerful non-magical group for the Citadel to latch itself to. This could explain Pycelle's new-found loyalty to Margaery, when he gave her the moon tea

All his actions were against enemies of the Citadel, who were conveniently also enemies of the Lannisters. House Lannister was the most powerful, non-magical faction, so the Citadel decided to bet on it:

- Pycelle told Aerys to open the gates to Tywin: bye bye Targs

- Pycelle let Jon Arryn die, keeping the secret of the incest, but also taking a crutial witness from Stannis, who was at this point allied with a red priestress and proclaiming a new faith, which I don't think the Citadel likes

- Pycelle let Robert die for the same reason, to weaken Stannis' claim

- I think Pycelle and the Citadel started to switch sides in aFfC when Cersei began to destroy the alliance with her paranoia. The Tyrells then became the safest, most powerful non-magical group for the Citadel to latch itself to. This could explain Pycelle's new-found loyalty to Margaery, when he gave her the moon tea

You know what? Forget the Others, forget the Targ contenders for the throne. Given how many people they killed, it seems like Citadel is the Big Bad of the series :P

Tywin didn't have a small council all invested in working against him, due to everyone but the hand knowing a huge, realm shattering secret.

Lf worked against Ned.

Pycelle worked against Ned.

Varys worked against Ned.

Same thing for Jon Arryn.

Tywin wasn't fed the handship shit sandwich that Ned was expected to eat.

He had a promising king, with trueborn children.

Ned had a king who wanted no responsibility, who had three royal bastards disguised as his, a realm in severe debt, and three people with moves long in play who were dead set to see him fail.

Ned never had a chance.

Archived