Those glass candles in the Citadel-possible spoilers

Estheros

Who lit the green, I can't remember. Marwyn has the black one lit, but is it one of those 4 or his own?Does he communicate with Quaite or?

Both of them are burning in Marwyn's study, t'is all I know.

Marwyn (black, black, black, green)

Quaithe (?)

Urrathon(?)

Edit: Urrathon's candles are said to have lit up after Dany killed the wizards. Are they lighting up like check points? Perhaps when certain prophecies come true, one by one, they start lighting up.

Both of them are burning in Marwyn's study, t'is all I know.

Marwyn (black, black, black, green)

Quaithe (?)

Urrathon(?)

Edit: Urrathon's candles are said to have lit up after Dany killed the wizards. Are they lighting up like check points? Perhaps when certain prophecies come true, one by one, they start lighting up.

i like that theory

Hehe, achievement unlocked and another class candles starts burning. An interesting idea, and does appear plausible. Gotta light them all!!!

• Jon Pauletto pointed to the Palantirs of LOTR which I believe is an important thing to note but I don't think GRRM would copy something straight from LOTR. Instead he probably chose the literature version of mimickry to raise expectations among genre readers just to build in a new twist.
  • I am fairly certain that he wanted to give some characters the ability to communicate fast accross a large distance. Sam (and maybe Alleras), being in the citadel with a lot of candles would be one obvious candidate but whom is he going to speak to? Marwyn and Dany? Or will Jon (if he's still alive in the next book) or Melisandre discover a candle in Castle Black? Or maybe can you communicate with greenseers/weirwoods through the candles? There is something big lurking in the shadows...
  • What's with the candle that novices have to light during the vigil before swearing their oaths? (By the way, I don't think that Marwyn had all four candles. The vigil candle would probably remain in the vault.) I'm pretty sure there is a forgotten part of the ritual, one only for novices with magical abilities. (And personally I don't believe that it's sole purpose is to identify maesters with special skills that - based on theories about the maesters opposing everything arcane - would have to be killed in order to end the arcane "threat".

Hehe, achievement unlocked and another class candles starts burning. An interesting idea, and does appear plausible. Gotta light them all!!!

Good comparison!

Once all are lit, I wonder if they can then be used to communicate with or view all things (people, events, places) that are crucial to an epic ending, or influence the outcome in some way.

Sam's arrival was seen by one of the candles, why? He must be important in the grand scheme of things for a candle to fix on him.

Absolutely, SanderOfTheFaith made a very valid point about the possibility of the colours or any other aspect of the candles being in-story causally related to the Targaryen family - it's extremely unlikely given the lack of importance of the Targ family in the relevant time frame 1400 years ago, the approximate age of the candles.

Of course, there's nothing to preclude a literary relation - the Targs are important in the course of the books, and GRRM might have hidden some nifty symbolism in the property of the candles. However, "might" is the crucial word here, cause as far as I can see we haven't actually found a good candidate for such a connection.

:agree:

I tend to think that this "magical network" created by the candles is for some magical purpose, like some device. As mentioned before - to comunicate, to see or to be able to do some certain type of spells. Like a wi-fe for the internet magic.This all is of course based on nothing :D But i won't be ashamed to realize that i thought completely wrong, this is GRRM fantasy after all : )

:agree:

I tend to think that this "magical network" created by the candles is for some magical purpose, like some device. As mentioned before - to comunicate, to see or to be able to do some certain type of spells. Like a wi-fe for the internet magic.This all is of course based on nothing :D But i won't be ashamed to realize that i thought completely wrong, this is GRRM fantasy after all : )

Hmmm and Sam is referred to as a "Wizard" and has always fantasized about such things. Now a magic candle is setting its gaze on him.

Archived