Iain Banks - what are your opinions?

Aeternum

Almost done with Wasp Factory, just one chapter left.

I'm a bit unsure about this one. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't breathtakingly awesome either. Banks is brilliant at getting into the mind of a mentally diseased person, though - I don't think I've ever read a book with a more convincingly insane narrator (with his own internal logic and motivations) than this one. The animal torture was a bit too much, Banks could've toned down some of that. The actual plot was rather "meh", although the twist in the penultimate chapter was a morbid surprise and made sense. IMO, it's probably a book that needs re-reading, even if it's pretty straight-forward. I was going to write a short review of the book, but since it's really hard to review and this would just spoil the plot for everyone else, I'll leave it at this.

It famously (and to some satisfaction by the writer I believe) got this quote in the review by the Irish Times:

It is a sick, sick world when the confidence and investment of an astute firm of publishers is justified by a work of unparalleled depravity.

Archived