Cersei, The Hound and the Valonqar

greywindsrage

I have elsewhere speculated that Sandor (possibly no longer called The Hound) might fight against Gregor in the trial-by-combat. But I don't think he would be the Valonqhar. If he defeats Cersei's champion (Gregor), theoretically it means Cersei would be liable for execution. But the Valonqar is the person who will personally murder Cersei, which not likely to be the duty of the winner of that one-on-one battle.

The whole Valonqar idea is from Maggy's prophesy to Cersei where she says, "And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you." It's usally assumed to refer to one of her younger brothers, Jaime or Tyrion. Oddly enough, since Sandor is also a younger brother, the ambiguity of Maggy's line could also theoretically refer to him after all. But I doubt it.

Could be neat, but I don't see it happening (then.) He may have taken up the Faith, but I don't know if he'd go so far as to be their Champion. I'm leaning towards the showdown being held at a time when Sandor and Jaime are together, based off Bran's prophetic insight.

Archived