call him Stannis BAMFatheon why dont you.

Lord Flashheart

Is it just me or is Stannis supposed to be the "bad ass who plays by his own rules but sometimes he breaks those rules for hot red witch sex" yanno, that old cliche.

What is it that makes him such a BAMF? Is it his trusty sidekick Davos? The fact that he is AA reborn? The fact that a God fights for him?

Stannis will be a player til the end IMO and I'm trying to see alternative endings in my head but every time Stannis prevails. He is the definition

of BAMF

Help me expand my horizons I'm in danger of going full Stan.

Eta: if a mod sees this, I meant to post in general (asoiaf) if you could please move it. I'm too stupid to figure out how.

While I like Stannis a lot and think he is a great character, he most certainly is not AA reborn.

Melisandre might honestly believe he is, but she misinterpreted the visions in the flames imo.

"When the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone."

- Melisandre to Jon Snow

I think this is much better suited to refer to Dany "Stormborn" who had petrified "stone" dragoneggs which hatched eventually.

The house of the undying prophecies indicate that Dany will show, that Stannis is a false AA

Glowing like sunset, a red sword was raised in the hand of a blue-eyed king who cast no shadow. A cloth dragon swayed on poles amid a cheering crowd. From a stone tower, a great stone beast took wing, breathing shadow fire...mother of dragons...slayer of lies...

But to the topic at hand:

I think Stannis is great because he is not someone who wants the throne for power and to "whore and drink himself to an early grave", but someone who is mostly unliked, but iron in his believes in law, duty and the right thing.

He would be a hard but just king.

I never asked for this, no more than I asked to be king. Yet dare I disregard her? We do not choose our destinies. Yet we must ... we must do our duty, no? Great or small, we must do our duty.

I never asked for this crown. Gold is cold & heavy on the head but so long as I am the king, I have a duty … If I must sacrifice one child to the flames to save a million from the dark … Sacrifice … is never easy, Davos. Or it is no true sacrifice.

And what do other people say about Stannis:

Varys: "There is no creature on earth half so terrifying as a truly just man."

Mathis Rowan: "Yield? When Mace Tyrell laid siege to Storm's End, Stannis ate rats rather than open his gates."

Tywin Lannister: "This is Stannis Baratheon. The man will fight to the bitter end and then some."

Samwell Tarly: "Few of the birds that Aemon had sent off had returned as yet. One reached Stannis, though. One found Dragonstone, and a king who still cared."

So, yeah, Stannis is awesome.

Stan is the man, and a card carrying BAMF, and everybody knows it. If it weren't for Mel, and shadow babies, evil magic etc. I would be on the Stan-Wagon with a loud speaker. All prophecy interpretation aside he is orders of magnitude greater than Dany on leadership and justice.

It is not just you, that is a common and popular reading of Stannis.

IMO it is also a very inaccurate one, though. Stannis is your garden variety hypocrite.

Almost as bad as people who defend Renly's treason with 'Might is Right' yet fail to accept that this gives anyone the right to commit what we would call atrocities, such as Roose Bolton, Walder Frey, Cersei, Tywin, Septon Utt, Gregory Clegane, Vargo Hoat, Aerys Targaryen and Ramsay Snow, so long as they have the strength to do those things. Which they clearly have.

<opens can> worm anyone?

<takes cover>

It is not just you, that is a common and popular reading of Stannis.

IMO it is also a very inaccurate one, though. Stannis is your garden variety hypocrite.

lol, you know, you dont HAVE to post in every single stannis thread you see about how awful he is. You could confine that to a few threads, and perhaps leave the rest alone?

inb4 lock

background to my viewpoints: I started by watching the first 3 seasons of the show and just recently finished reading the 5th book.

Initially, I didn't mind Stannis. Even called him Stannis the Mannis a few times. The further the story progressed, the more he became "meh" to me. I think Melisandre is full of sh|t. I think Stannis, at times, follows her blindly because her "red god" can deliver him the kingdom that is "his by rights."

I don't agree with everything he has done. I don't disagree with everything he's done. That said, I like to take a "what have you done for me lately" approach to him. I think he showed very poor leadership marching into a snowstorm without adequate provisions... and when this poor decision forced some others to turn to cannibalism to survive, he punishes them by barbecuing them up.

That said, I didn't really mind him too much. I didn't really like him, but I didn't mind him either.

Then I came to these boards and saw how certain people forgave every single one of his faults while criticizing others at every turn. As I said on another thread, it's as if half this board eats Stannis's shit for breakfast and thanks him for the opportunity.

Because of the vehemency of some of Stannis's supporters here, who (at times) will dismiss anyone who doesn't agree exactly with their reading of Stannis as a "troll" or "hater," in addition to the "what have you done for me lately" aspect of Stannis himself, I am not a fan and hope Ramsay gets a chance to flay the pretender that is Stannis Baratheon.

I'm well aware of that quote.

But "Stannis becomes one of the few characters fully to understand that, which is why in spite of everything he is a righteous man, and not just a version of Henry VII, Tiberius or Louis XI."

=/=

closest thing to a hero.

Ah my bad, i had remembered that quote as that of a hero. But yeah he is a righteous man.

Archived