Taena Merryweather works for Varys

Brightstar_

I realise there are already a few threads on this, put people generally don't seem to think she works for Varys.

However while rereading aFFC I noticed that Cersei mentions to Jaime that Taena has told her that Lady Olenna has a chest filled with old Highgarden coins from before the Conquest... which is exactly the sort of coin Qyburn found in Rugen's cell. Rugen who is commonly known to be one of Varys' "disguises". This fits perfectly with the plan we know Varys has from the epilogue of aDWD : sow discord between the Tyrell's and Cersei by playing on her paranoia, and thus weaken the realm for Aegon's arrival.

Also it seems a very strange thing for Lady Taena to just casually mention to Cersei without any other intentions.

It's also possible that Varys didn't put that coin there at all (though it would fit his plan perfectly if he did), but that Qyburn simply told Cersei that he found it there. Perhaps Qyburn is working for Varys too, along with Lady Taena. There is very little to suggest this, though you could make the argument that he did give Cersei a strong champion to defend her innocence in her coming trial. If she were to win that trial, she would probably rule again as regent (now that Kevan is dead), which again fits Varys' plans.

I'm sorry if there is already a thread on this piece of information, I couldn't find one.

Thoughts please.

Edit : To the people that say she works for Dorne : if Taena is working for Dorne, how would she have known that an Old Highgarden coin had been found in the supposedly guilty goaler's cell? Did Varys inform someone from Dorne on this? That doesn't seem very likely. Did she just happen to mention Lady Olenna's chest filled with such old coins? Also highly unlikely IMO.

And if you think that Varys somehow works together with Dorne to prepare for Aegon, well then in a way, Taena is working with/for Varys too.

I think there was a thread awhile back suggesting that both Qyburn & Taena were working for Varys. I don't think Qyburn being a spy is very likely, but it's pretty clear that Taena was working for everyone but Cersei.

Qyborn-no. He's in thrall to the same dark powers, that Varys, despises. Taena, though, seems more than likely.

Regardless of Taena, I don't think Qyburn is in cahoots with Varys. The coin is suggestive though.

Yea I don't really think Qyburn is working for anyone either, but I just put the possibility out there in case Varys didn't plant the coin because I hardly think such a suggestive coin would just be "lying there". But it was probably varys' doing.

Taena is working for Dorne, I'm guessing. Varys doesn't need Taena, his whisperers have secret passageways etc. to overhear and observe. Planting a maid to woo and seduce Cersei just doesn't seem like Varys's style. There are more people doing nefarious things beynd LF and Varys, we shouldn't assume all evil doings fall back to one of those two.

Thread here has more on Taena theories:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/102292-how-will-taena-merryweather-betray-cersei/?hl=taena

Taena is working for Dorne, I'm guessing. Varys doesn't need Taena, his whisperers have secret passageways etc. to overhear and observe. Planting a maid to woo and seduce Cersei just doesn't seem like Varys's style. There are more people doing nefarious things beynd LF and Varys, we shouldn't assume all evil doings fall back to one of those two.

I agree and I too thought it very strange for Varys to have someone like Taena working for him ; it's just not his style. But if Taena is working for Dorne, how would she have known that an Old Highgarden coin had been found in the supposedly guilty goaler's cell? Did Varys inform someone from Dorne on this? That doesn't seem very likely. Did she just happen to mention Lady Olenna's chest filled with such old coins? Also highly unlikely IMO.

And if you think that Varys somehow works together with Dorne to prepare for Aegon, well then in a way, Taena is working with/for Varys too.

But if Taena is working for Dorne, how would she have known that an Old Highgarden coin had been found in the supposedly guilty goaler's cell?

If indeed she is a spy, she may ( a ) have other spy resources giving her info; ( b ) be spying on someone else; or ( c ) wouldn't surprise me if Varys is wise to her and planted the info about the coin. I don't find this to be a compelling counter argument...yet.

What about Lf? it is suggested that Taena may have once been whore, and we all know Lf uses whores as his spies.

This is what I thought. In the books Varys tends to use children & subterfuge to learn what he needs to know. LF uses intermediaries to befriend his marks so he can manipulate them.

I figure she is Dorne's friend in King's Landing. The Martells found out so easily what Cersei had planned for Trystane that I suspect Taena was the source.

That may mean she is working with Varys to some degree.

She's Myrish and so is Varys, so they may have a certain rapport.

Qyburn isn't working for Varys, but he's likely being manipulated by him. Qyburn is working with Varys's "little birds" who are likely still under Varys's control, so that Qyburn only finds out what Varys wants him to know. And chances are that what Qyburn learns from them is fraught with half-trues and outright lies.

Interesting point about Taena and Varys. I'd always just assumed that she was spying for the Tyrells, but there does seem to be a Dorne connection. If Teana worked for Varys, that would explain both, since Varys would feed information to both the Martells and the Tyrells as it suited him.

Archived