Chapter Titles - Proper Nouns and monikers

oramami

Hey, I can't seem to utilize the search function in the forum very effectively. I couldn't find anything on the Chapter titles and the differences that start to arise later in the books.

I'm guessing people have already discussed this in some length, so I'm assuming this isn't new.

But when we look through the chapter titles, I think they're are two kinds.

Proper nouns - Theon, Reek, Tyrion (Tyrion is always, "Tyrion" and Jon is always "Jon" and Daenerys is always, "Danerys")

and a moniker title

Moniker Title - "The prince of winterfell" and "The King's Prize" and "The Lost Lord" etc..

It's obvious that the chapter titles, whether they be a proper noun or a moniker, are central to the character's identity. In terms of telling us who the character is, or giving us a sense of the characters distance from their "true selves"

My understanding is that whenever we see a moniker for a chapter title we are seeing something that the character is not

Like in chapter 71 "The Queen's Hand" we see that Barristan is not in fact really a "Hand" that he lacks the skill and the desire etc..

or in chapter Chapter 62 - "The Sacrifice" we see that Asha is not in fact a sacrifice...

There are several Greyjoy chars, all of who have there own POV CHAPTERS. Theon is the only one who ever seems to go by the name, "Theon" or by his proper noun name. Although I think it's not supposed to be clear to us whether or not "REEK" is a moniker for theon or an actual name (The question being, when Theon is being "Reek" is he being true to himself or not ). Are we supposed to conclude something about the Ironborn? Or just about the greyjoys in particular?

For example, I think if Jon Connington ever discovers that Aegon is in fact, (f)Aegon - as a fact - then either that chapter or the next one will be called, "Jon" and we'll discover that he's always entertained a certain level of cognitive dissonance concerning Aegon and it will be revealed in that chapter (the one called "Jon") how Illyrio, Myles Toyne and Varys introduced him to the idea of raising the young (f)Aegon. Depending upon whether or not he survives, and he accepts the truth of what is presented to him concerning (f)Aegon's birth, his chapter titles will remain that way. If he rejects the truth after hearing it, which I don't think is unlikely unless he finds out about Jon Targ, and continues to fight for Aegon the idea that (f)Aegon is the legitimate son of Rhaegar, then his chapter titles will revert back to various false monikers like, "The Griffin Restored".

Also, Arya's chapters won't revert back to proper noun titles until she leaves the faceless men. But, she's so deep in loosing herself that she may never find herself..

Is there a thread about this already?

Jon's chapters will never be "Jon" because there is another Jon and that's confusing.

TBH, we don't really know why some chapters are named like they are. There isn't a pattern either. What fits the most is the subject of identity: people who are in places or situations they feel they don't belong, change their names. But that doesn't happen with Tyrion, Jon and Dany. But Asha is always Asha too and she doesn't have her name either.

So, who knows :dunno:

There are several Greyjoy chars, all of who have there own POV CHAPTERS. Theon is the only one who ever seems to go by the name, "Theon" or by his proper noun name. Although I think it's not supposed to be clear to us whether or not "REEK" is a moniker for theon or an actual name (The question being, when Theon is being "Reek" is he being true to himself or not ). Are we supposed to conclude something about the Ironborn? Or just about the greyjoys in particular?

Victarion got chapters called "Victarion".

I think the titles are what the character sees him or herself. Dany is always Dany, Tyrion is of course always Tyrion and Jon is Jon, they don't need to fake to be someone else or hide themselves as it happens for Arya or Theon for example. Then there is Aerys Oakheart who gets the title "The Soiled Night" and this is probably because he broke his vows and feels actually really bad because of that. Areo Hotah got a chapter called "The Watcher" and that is what he is basically doing all time: watching. As far as I remember he kind of didn't do much else so far.

Aspecially Arya changes her identities quite frequently and thus we get a lot of different titles for her. Compared to other people taking other names or fake identities, she really transforms into the new identity and doesn't necessarily see herself as Arya Stark anymore.

As for Barristan getting the title "The Queen's Hand" ... I think after Dany disappeared he feels responsible for her realm and all what she has reached and built up. That means he feels like he should rule for her (since he doesn't quite trust Hizdahr), exactly as a hand is supposed to do. If he does this job justice is another thing though.

I think part of it is to maintain a little surprise for anyone who sees a list of chapter titles. If you have an ebook, or if you thumb through the pages of the book before reading it, seeing a character name will let you know that they lived that long. Seeing "Quentyn" instead of "The Windblown Prince" would ruin some of the surprise of him showing up and being an important character, after there was speculation of where he was in the last book. I wouldn't be surprised if Jon's name isn't in the chapter titles in the next book so that people won't be assured immediately that he is still alive.

I think part of it is to maintain a little surprise for anyone who sees a list of chapter titles. If you have an ebook, or if you thumb through the pages of the book before reading it, seeing a character name will let you know that they lived that long. Seeing "Quentyn" instead of "The Windblown Prince" would ruin some of the surprise of him showing up and being an important character, after there was speculation of where he was in the last book. I wouldn't be surprised if Jon's name isn't in the chapter titles in the next book so that people won't be assured immediately that he is still alive.

That's a nice point!

Victarion got chapters called "Victarion".

I think the titles are what the character sees him or herself. Dany is always Dany, Tyrion is of course always Tyrion and Jon is Jon, they don't need to fake to be someone else or hide themselves as it happens for Arya or Theon for example. Then there is Aerys Oakheart who gets the title "The Soiled Night" and this is probably because he broke his vows and feels actually really bad because of that. Areo Hotah got a chapter called "The Watcher" and that is what he is basically doing all time: watching. As far as I remember he kind of didn't do much else so far.

Aspecially Arya changes her identities quite frequently and thus we get a lot of different titles for her. Compared to other people taking other names or fake identities, she really transforms into the new identity and doesn't necessarily see herself as Arya Stark anymore.

As for Barristan getting the title "The Queen's Hand" ... I think after Dany disappeared he feels responsible for her realm and all what she has reached and built up. That means he feels like he should rule for her (since he doesn't quite trust Hizdahr), exactly as a hand is supposed to do. If he does this job justice is another thing though.

You're right about Victarion, but I think it's only a single chapter.

Afer having read what you said, you might be right.

Archived