Stannis is the Valonqar

jaimereborn

In the following prophecy, Maggy the Frog is specifically talking about Robert and Cersei, and the children they will have. In the following line, she describes how 'the valonqar' (little brother) will kill her.

"Cersei: Will the king and I have children?

Maggy: Oh, aye. Six-and-ten for him, and three for you. Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds, she said. And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you."

Notice how she says 'the', not 'your', which clearly relates the prophecy back to Robert in the previous sentence. This indicates that Stannis, Robert's younger brother, will be the one to kill Cersei.

This has already been foreshadowed, when in the show Stannis grabs Melisandre by the throat having lost the battle of Blackwater, and starts to 'choke the life' from her. It also makes perfect sense if Stannis wins the battle of the North, that when finally arriving at King's Landing he will come face to face with Cersei and end up strangling her. This is likely to take some time, and perhaps won't happen until late book 6 or book 7, as Stannis has some work to do before arriving there. Also, given the prophecy, Myrcella has to die before Cersei is strangled - and I think this is likely to happen as a result of the Dornish alliance with Aegon and crowning of Myrcella. This will play out before Stannis arrives at KL.

I think Stannis will depose Aegon, kill Cersei with his bare hands, and take the Iron Throne. Then the White Walkers and Dany will arrive shortly after, and all hell will break loose.

As you have rightfully stated, "the" valonqar is so vague that it opens up the realm of possibilities; options that aren't just limited to Stannis alone. The Valonqar might be Aegon (Rhaenys' younger brother), or The Hound (The Mountain's younger brother) or, if you want to interpret valonqar loosely, it could mean any of Robb Stark's younger siblings (either Arya or Sansa seem more likely to choke out Cersei than Bran or Rickon). If you really want to stretch it, maybe even Jon Snow (as either Aegon and Rhaenys' younger brother or as Robb's younger brother).

That said, the valonqar might most likely be either Jaime or Tyrion.

I think it's going to be jamie, no question. most book readers (who don't read forums & theories) dont even realize jamie is technically younger than cersei & assume the valonqar is tyrion. it'll be a surprise to many & make narrative sense & be tragic as hell when it's jamie who offs cersei. I bet jamie will be emotionally destroyed as a result.

I think it's going to be jamie, no question. most book readers (who don't read forums & theories) dont even realize jamie is technically younger than cersei & assume the valonqar is tyrion. it'll be a surprise to many & make narrative sense & be tragic as hell when it's jamie who offs cersei. I bet jamie will be emotionally destroyed as a result.

But Jaime doesn't hate Cersei that much

But Jaime doesn't hate Cersei that much

he's been stewing over her having sex with lancel, the kettleblacks etc. obsessively for the last book. I think he's realizing she's totally poisonous & will further distance himself from her. after all he did burn her letter & refuse a response to her pleas. maybe he'll kill her & be really emotionally messed up from it. putting an end to her would probably be an act of love in some deranged jamie lannister way.

"for the realm".

Grammatically it makes sense, but Stannis actually strangling someone to death seems out of character. He's initiated physical contact twice in the entire series, and both times it was done as a conciliatory/brotherly gesture. When he's had people arrested, disarmed or executed, he's had his underlings carry it out (the exception being Davos).

Stannis doesn't usually go around strangling people so why would he strangle her as apposed to any other kind of death? He'd be more likely to give her to Rhllor's flames. Capital punishment would suite Stannis and his cause. Things would have to take a huge twist for them to get up-close and personal with one another. I guess she could attempt to seduce him IF (huge if) he conquered KL and the Red Keep with her in it resulting in him playing along until he had her neck in his hand?

Don't think so though. Not his MO.

I like the idea of LS convincing Jaime to do it. As ellstasia said, he already has a motive. He constantly hears Tyrions voive in his head claiming that shes sleeping with the Ketttleblacks and Lancel. LS could push him over the edge. Convince him or put it into his head that killing her is the only way to make 'amends' and at a pivotal moment in the story when she rages at him he snaps. She's also stupid enough to try to 'remove' him if she throws a tantrum.

I also like the idea that the faith elect Sandor as their champion to fight Robert Strong. Sandor being a little brother or Valonqar.

I'm not confident that GRRM will go with any of those though. He has a whole 2 more books and a lot can change. Fun to guess though!

Grammatically it makes sense, but Stannis actually strangling someone to death seems out of character. He's initiated physical contact twice in the entire series, and both times it was done as a conciliatory/brotherly gesture. When he's had people arrested, disarmed or executed, he's had his underlings carry it out (the exception being Davos).

Yep, that. Didn't see it when I was writing.

In the heat of battle a lot can happen. If Stannis sacks the Red Keep and is confronted by Cersie who knows what happens that would lead Stannis to strangle her.

I really believe Stannis is the Valonqar. The title Valonqar, while it could mean anyone who is a younger brother, in this case it must have a significance. For Stannis, being the younger brother is the ENTIRE reason he is at war. He is the rightful heir to the Throne because he is the Valonqar.

In the heat of battle a lot can happen. If Stannis sacks the Red Keep and is confronted by Cersie who knows what happens that would lead Stannis to strangle her.

I really believe Stannis is the Valonqar. The title Valonqar, while it could mean anyone who is a younger brother, in this case it must have a significance. For Stannis, being the younger brother is the ENTIRE reason he is at war. He is the rightful heir to the Throne because he is the Valonqar.

Agreed. Also GRRM would not be so lazy as to have the prophecy be able to apply to every 'younger brother' in the whole of ASOIAF to be the potential valonqar. there has to be something actually clever and not easily perceived in the prophecy. Stannis makes sense as the one to fulfil it in this regard.

another thought is that 'the valonqar' makes it sounds as though there is only one younger brother. Cersei has two, so there is not one definitive 'younger brother' that would demand a 'the' in this context. I think that Jaime and Tyrion should be excluded both on that count and on the more obvious count that they are both red herrings. Tyrion is the red herring for Cersei, who has clearly got it wrong, and Jaime is the red herring for the readers' interpretation of the theory - who can incredibly easily come to the conclusion that Cersei would have got it wrong and that it could apply to her OTHER brother. Jaime is a convincing red herring because of his arc and his drifting away from Cersei and it would be a tragic end to that relationship, but I think this is too obvious an interpretation. When does GRRM ever go for the most obvious interpretation of a fan theory?

Agreed. Also GRRM would not be so lazy as to have the prophecy be able to apply to every 'younger brother' in the whole of ASOIAF to be the potential valonqar. there has to be something actually clever and not easily perceived in the prophecy. Stannis makes sense as the one to fulfil it in this regard.

another thought is that 'the valonqar' makes it sounds as though there is only one younger brother. Cersei has two, so there is not one definitive 'younger brother' that would demand a 'the' in this context. I think that Jaime and Tyrion should be excluded both on that count and on the more obvious count that they are both red herrings. Tyrion is the red herring for Cersei, who has clearly got it wrong, and Jaime is the red herring for the readers' interpretation of the theory - who can incredibly easily come to the conclusion that Cersei would have got it wrong and that it could apply to her OTHER brother. Jaime is a convincing red herring because of his arc and his drifting away from Cersei and it would be a tragic end to that relationship, but I think this is too obvious an interpretation. When does GRRM ever go for the most obvious interpretation of a fan theory?

Plus Stannis is Cersie ' s younger Brother-in-law

Archived