Would Victarion bend the knee to Theon?

Lord Rhaegel Tarly

I don't think he would like it. But I suppose he would think it's better to have Theon than Euron. Specially if the Damphair supports Theon, I guess Vic might support him,

Anyway, I don't want to see Theon as King/Lord. And even if that ever happens, I believe Vic will be dead by then.

Quite clearly, yes. The first thing Vic does when arguing with his captains over whether to go claim the Seastone chair is to bring up Balon's sons and daughter. He is at first reluctant even to run against his hated brother, Euron, on account of his claim being better (being the elder).

He certainly would have stood aside to Balon's own son, had he thought him alive.

No he wouldn't.He wants to seat the seastone chair.

Not at all. Vic is reluctant to make his play for it on the Kingsmoot. His captains basically have to convince him to go.

If there was anyone he even felt remotely qualified to sit the Chair other than himself, he would be glad to. Vic's nature is being a dutiful follower, not a leader.

If I'd been writing Clash, I would have given Theon a touch more of a break back there on the Isles. But I would have been wrong, thinking about it. It's a nice Martin touch that though the ingredients are actually separately there to give him an okay homecoming, they can't come together.

His sister has affection for him, deep down, but is his political rival. His favourite uncle has become a religious maniac. His other uncle may tacitly allow him loyalty but stays too bloody tacit about it. His mother loves him but is insane and elsewhere. The Botleys seem to support him a bit but he's not politically sophisticated enough to notice. His honorary uncle Dagmer is kind of a has-been. And his real father has become his most implacable opponent.

Making Aeron still jolly, or rolling Dagmer and Vicky into one uncle as I would have been tempted to do, would have weakened, I suppose, the impressive level of cruel irony here...

Archived