Question on the First Blackfyre Rebellion?

Skinner

Where was the location of the Battle of Redgrass Field? The Riverlands or the Reach?

I think there's two possibilities: first, on the border between the Riverlands and the Reach, near by to the Gold Road to King's Landing. The Blackfyres had started, likely in the Reach given their supporters, and then marched northwest into the Westerlands (which would explain the fight at the crossing of the Mander where Lady Penrose's sons died), then defeated Lord Lefford and Damon "the Grey Lion" Lannister, then turned east and marched through the Riverlands towards King's Landing, and the Gold Road gives you a straight-shot to King's Landing.

Alternatively, it was somewhere on the Kingsroad in the region of Harrenhal. We know that Ser Manfred Lothston had backed Daemon Blackfyre, only to betray him, so it's possible that Harrenhal's location was strategically significant.

Personally, I lean to the first possibility.

In my opinion, the Redgrass Field must be in the Crownlands, close to KL, as Ser Eustace would have become king had he pressed on there, instead of getting himself killed by Bloodraven. That suggests that KL was close by, and mostly undefended, which would have enabled Daemon to take the city, slew Daeron II, and seize the Iron Throne, effectively ending all resistance (at least in the mind of Ser Eustace - Baelor, Maekar, and Bloodraven would have continued the fight).

So let's see:

We know of Fireball's march through the Westerlands and meeting up with the Blackfyre host after crossing the Mander, most likely the northern tributary near the Gold Road. However, we don't know how long they marched east or north.

However, after consulting my map of Westeros, I see that the northern tributary of the Mander is almost parallel to King's Landing. So, all Daemon had to was march east through the Reach to take KL. From this, I would say the Battle of Redgrass Field took place in the northern Reach, west of Tumbleton. This doesn't, however, take into account the Lothston's key involvement in the battle. So southern Riverlands, northern Reach, take your pick.

P.S. I always wondered why the location of the battle was never specifically mentioned. I guess it wasn't significant enough?

So let's see:

We know of Fireball's march through the Westerlands and meeting up with the Blackfyre host after crossing the Mander, most likely the northern tributary near the Gold Road. However, we don't know how long they marched east or north.

However, after consulting my map of Westeros, I see that the northern tributary of the Mander is almost parallel to King's Landing. So, all Daemon had to was march east through the Reach to take KL. From this, I would say the Battle of Redgrass Field took place in the northern Reach, west of Tumbleton. This doesn't, however, take into account the Lothston's key involvement in the battle. So southern Riverlands, northern Reach, take your pick.

P.S. I always wondered why the location of the battle was never specifically mentioned. I guess it wasnt important enough.

Archived