Can't Stand Sansa?

oxmix

So Jaime threw a small child out a window. Gregor is a psychopath. Cercie gets more like Henry VIII every day. But there is no one so lothsome as Sansa.

This kid had every advantage. The first opportunity she had to betray her family, she took. She isn't bad because her wolf died. Her wolf died because she is bad. She rejected her pack.

The lone wolf dies in the winter. For all you Sansa haters our there, what is the best way for her to go?

I say she gets the clap from the aptly named Little Finger, which she then gives to her Sweet Robin and half the Vale. The Vale folk throw stones at her, forcing her north, where she is attacked by Others. Jon then toasts her with dragon fire for a crispy end.

It's not like she broke a window or cheated on her math test or robbed a liquor store or something. There is blood on her hands.

I always factor intent in. As intent goes, she's clean as can be. However, that factors in naivete. A trait that can't be denied of Sansa. She is, at least as of the first book, as blind and stupid as can be in regards to Joffrey and Cersei.

I can't stand Sansa because I find it ridiculous to still be equating beauty with goodness the way she does at the age she's at. My sister's not pretty. Joffrey is. I shall therefore lie about what occured. I shall never think twice about how my lie cost the life of a boy my own age. I shall feel no regret at all until *I* lose something. I shall then blame my sister because she's not pretty.

I shall disobey my father and never once think about how I killed him with disobedience, but instead how horrible it is that the queen and Joffrey can still be so attractive yet so vile. Don't they know they're supposed to make themselves ugly so people will know what they're like? Should the hound stop being burned so I can be sure he's a good man?

I just can't find it viable in a girl her age, especially with her experiences, unless she's so totally self-absorbed she borders of sociopathic herself.

To say nothing of her attitude toward her sister in that fight they had in aGoT.

it's not holding things she did at 12 against her, it's her doing the things she does at 12 meaning she has to have a very specific character.

I can't stand Sansa because I find it ridiculous to still be equating beauty with goodness the way she does at the age she's at. My sister's not pretty. Joffrey is. I shall therefore lie about what occured. I shall never think twice about how my lie cost the life of a boy my own age. I shall feel no regret at all until *I* lose something. I shall then blame my sister because she's not pretty.

I shall disobey my father and never once think about how I killed him with disobedience, but instead how horrible it is that the queen and Joffrey can still be so attractive yet so vile. Don't they know they're supposed to make themselves ugly so people will know what they're like? Should the hound stop being burned so I can be sure he's a good man?

What's funny is that Sansa doesn't think like that, not anymore.

I think she's guilty of some heinous stuff, but then again so are Jaime, The Hound, Catelyn, Mance Rayder, Dany...I could go on, this is ASoIF we're talking about after all. Because Sansa is the smoking hot spoiled cheerleader type, she's just easier for us fantasy dorks to hate than total badass sword swingers like The Hound.

<- (Used to hate Sansa) :P

What's funny is that Sansa doesn't think like that, not anymore.

I think she's guilty of some heinous stuff, but then again so are Jaime, The Hound, Catelyn, Mance Rayder, Dany...I could go on, this is ASoIF we're talking about after all. Because Sansa is the smoking hot spoiled cheerleader type, she's just easier for us fantasy dorks to hate than total badass sword swingers like The Hound.

<- (Used to hate Sansa) :P

I agree. If there weren't so many sword-weilding badasses out there, then maybe I would put more blame on people other than Sansa. I personally like Jaime (now that he is having a change of heart after he lost his hand) because he is changing and become more aware of the people around him. The same for Sansa, she has changed and is beginning to appreciate those around her. In aFfC, she actual was kinda happy to hear of Jon, even though he is a bastard.

Yes, I absolutely hated her in aGoT, she was mean to Arya (who is just cool, BTW), she betrayed her to Joffrey and Cersei (sticking up for Joffrey, not Arya) about Mycah, and she betrayed her own father (which was painful). But she then went through a lot of crap after that, and yes, she even blaimed herself a little for Ned's death (if I'm not mistaken). Sansa is changing so I don't hate her as much as before, but boy, did she piss me off in aGoT! :tantrum:

Sooner or later we're going to get a book by some Sansa/Cat apologist decrying our lack of empathy, humanity, but let's rejoice in the hatred while we may. Stupid little Bitch! You got your father killed!!!!!!!!

P.s. these once a month threads are kind of fun. Just when I think I'm out, you pull me back in. For the record, I have tried being less judgemental of Sansa, but upon re-reads it just gets worse.

I hate Sansa too! Why? I dunno, I just like following the crowd sometimes...

Nah I don't like her, whiny, and causes her own damn problems, awful lot like her mom. And she was mean to Arya, and Jon. Seriously, she wanted to be friends with Joffery and Cersei and disliked Jon and Arya...dumb bitch

Like mother like daughter. How many of us did catelyn piss off with EVERYTHING she did except where it regarded Brienne (preAFFC)? Likewise for Sansa. She has had and is getting a first rate education in the game of thrones. First in Kings landing and now with Littlefigner. Will this improve her at all? I dont knwo well see.

I was pretty sympathetic of Snasa for most of AGOT because she was a silly little girl. She had no idea what the consequences fo her actions would be and she wasnt smart enough to figure them out so I gave her some credit. But when she never mentioned of thought of her sister Arya untill days after her father was arrested and now has almost no sympathy at all for the fate that may have befallen her I wanted to wring the little bitches neck.

SHE IS A STARK!! Why doesn't she act like one?

Sansas only saving grace at all in the whole series IMOP has been her scenes with the Hound. Those are great. She was the major force that changed him. So I guess for that I can fogive her a lot. But we'll see if she is a redeeming character at all by the end of the series.

I hate Sansa so much I hope she dies of a mosquito bite and we only find out about it third hand. Or better yet, we never hear from Sansa again and only learn of the manner of her death when those poor misguided Sansa lovers ask GRRM about her at some book signing and he says: "Who? Oh.. ermm.. West Nile. Terrible thing. In other vastly more important news, I saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico."

I hate Sansa so much I hope she dies of a mosquito bite and we only find out about it third hand. Or better yet, we never hear from Sansa again and only learn of the manner of her death when those poor misguided Sansa lovers ask GRRM about her at some book signing and he says: "Who? Oh.. ermm.. West Nile. Terrible thing. In other vastly more important news, I saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico."

:lol:

That does sound good, but I'd still prefer a major set-piece for her death. Maybe wildfire can be catapulted onto her wedding, or Sweetrobin completely loses it and stabs her to death.

:lol:

That does sound good, but I'd still prefer a major set-piece for her death. Maybe wildfire can be catapulted onto her wedding, or Sweetrobin completely loses it and stabs her to death.

She is captured by the lannisters again. Cersie gives her so Qyburn as thanks for freeing her from her cell. Qyburn attaches her head to the body of un-gregor and unleashes them onto the world. Then he takes her bocy and animates it with the head of moonboy and the two of them go on a world tour singing shania twain songs while dancing Irish jigs.

She has had and is getting a first rate education in the game of thrones. First in Kings landing and now with Littlefigner.

Although I dislike Sansa, I have to step in here and defend her: Exactly HOW is her education "first rate"? She is taught all the things a noble lady needs to master, nothing more, and her mental education is based on stupid fairy tales - and Sansa is a good pupil, in contrast to Arya, who defies any attempt to turn her into a lady.

Actually, you may dislike Sansa as you like, but she is the perfect image of a noble lady. She is somewhat like Margaery, but more stupid/naive I guess.

One last thought: If Cersei was like Sansa instead of being a scheming bitch, Robert would be still alive with some beautiful blackhaired princes raised to be politicians like Tywin and fighters like their dad and their uncle Jaime. Uncle Stannis and Tyrion would also add their part to the education. Hell, and dragons or not, Dany would have NO CHANCE of ever winning the Iron Throne, not even with all the Dothraki and Unsullied of the world behind her. :)

And to all the ladies out there: No, I am NOT defending medieval role models for women, but each time has its own ideals, and for good reason. A noble knight in our modern society would be stupid and ridiculous, but we all love our Arthur Dayne, now don´t we?

Okay, I have long been a Sansa apologist so here we go again.

Sansa is certainly a flawed character, and she has made some very big mistakes, but the things she has done certainly ring true to how a teenager girl who has lived an extremely sheltered life would act in her situation. I too was annoyed by her in the first book, but I think she has grown and changed throughout the series, possibly more than any other character. She has shown considerable courage at times, and I think she deeply regrets her past naivete.

I think it's easy for a lot of readers to rally behind someone like Arya who is a "badass rebel who follows her own rules and defies convention!" but it's harder to make a character who works hard to do what is expected of her interesting. In real life I can't stand kids like Arya with "you can't tell me what to do!" attitudes.

Also, (and I know this will piss a lot of people off) a lot of us who read this series (and post on an internet board about it) are, well..kinda geeky (myself included). We're sort of pre-conditioned to look down on the popular homecoming Queens types, and hear so much talk about them being "mindless conformists" and "airheads". This is a pretty silly, immature attitude.

So in conclusion, count me as one of the rarest of creatures on this board, a Sansa apologist and an Arya hater!

Archived