Depression and loneliness

Love Is A Sweet Poison

There really is no recipe for dealing with depression, it is an individual journey. No one will really understand what you are going through and that is fine. They don't need to, your demons are yours to conquer on your time, on your own phase and when you are ready that is when the fog starts to lift.

Thats what I've learned from being diagnosed with clinical depression since 2013. Unaware, I might have been suffering far longer than my date of diagnosis, I've had about 6 different therapists, one for each crisis that I went through from 2010 to 2013. I lost my best friend to lung cancer in 2010, she was diagnosed in may died in august. I lost my father to cardiac arrest in march 2011 had a miscarriage in july and another one in october. Went through marriage counseling throughout 2012 and finally my divorce in 2013.

After all the physical & mental break down, there was still a part of me that wanted to live, and to this day that is what I hang on to. That no matter how bleak everything was, I had that resilient part of me that's wanting to survive. I've opted out of antidepressants because I prefer to deal with my demons without the clout of chemicals wrecking my brains. I found a great therapist in nyc while visiting family & having a nervous breakdown in the middle of the city. She is my life saver to this day, we just connected in a way that my other therapists have not been able to reach. She gave me the tools I needed to be functional, because for awhile after I returned to nyc I was numb like a comatose patient.

I took a long sabbatical to really understand my demons and try to face them. Traveled on my own and soak up that alone time to reflect and get to know myself again. I used to be one of those people who log on to FB every 15 minutes but after all that's happened, I could barely log on longer than a minute and won't come back until after 6 months. I read constantly, it seems its my only escape from calming my brain from over thinking. I also volunteered and went to different classes that interests me. I slept most of the time and isolated myself from negative friends, I only allowed communication when I know I can handle the conversations. Some friends have come and gone and that's ok, I was not a good friend to them while I was going through my phases. I also wrote a bucket list some grand and some simple, and I try to fulfill them as much as I can. I also joined this supportive forum with extremely intelligent and compassionate people. I also took meditative yoga, this and reading seems to calm my zigzagging brain and focus on getting better.

To the OP, breathe and everything will be OK. It might not look it right now but all the struggles, anxiety and loneliness will pass. If you need someone to talk to pm me and I'll be glad to help.

Can I ask--the advice is always to find a therapist. Can I ask how? I go on my provider's website and I can pull up a 100 names in my area (being blessed to live in a city). And that's all I have about them--a name and an address. How do you even know where to start calling?

Can I ask--the advice is always to find a therapist. Can I ask how? I go on my provider's website and I can pull up a 100 names in my area (being blessed to live in a city). And that's all I have about them--a name and an address. How do you even know where to start calling?

Corny as it sounds, I looked for members of the opposite sex. Don't know why I thought that would help. But I started there (maybe i've got a mother thing). Next I called to see if they were a veteran. If they were, and their schedule worked out I gave them a shot. I was able to find a good one on my first try.

That was my criteria.

(Assuming you're in the U.S.)

If you are planning on going through insurance, I would start there first and ask them how to go about finding a therapist. Once you know, then I will suggest doing some research on each eligible one and see what type of counseling do they do. Some specializes in substance abuse, some in OCD, some in depression, some in addiction cessation, some in family relations, etc. You might not know a whole lot about their approach so that might mean you will have to try and see, but at least you should be able to narrow it down.

One distinction too is whether they can prescribe psychotrophic drugs as part of the treatment. Some can and some cannot. That means you might need to get a referral to get the drugs your counselor suggests that you might need.

There really is no recipe for dealing with depression, it is an individual journey. No one will really understand what you are going through and that is fine. They don't need to, your demons are yours to conquer on your time, on your own phase and when you are ready that is when the fog starts to lift.

Thats what I've learned from being diagnosed with clinical depression since 2013. Unaware, I might have been suffering far longer than my date of diagnosis, I've had about 6 different therapists, one for each crisis that I went through from 2010 to 2013. I lost my best friend to lung cancer in 2010, she was diagnosed in may died in august. I lost my father to cardiac arrest in march 2011 had a miscarriage in july and another one in october. Went through marriage counseling throughout 2012 and finally my divorce in 2013.

After all the physical & mental break down, there was still a part of me that wanted to live, and to this day that is what I hang on to. That no matter how bleak everything was, I had that resilient part of me that's wanting to survive. I've opted out of antidepressants because I prefer to deal with my demons without the clout of chemicals wrecking my brains. I found a great therapist in nyc while visiting family & having a nervous breakdown in the middle of the city. She is my life saver to this day, we just connected in a way that my other therapists have not been able to reach. She gave me the tools I needed to be functional, because for awhile after I returned to nyc I was numb like a comatose patient.

I took a long sabbatical to really understand my demons and try to face them. Traveled on my own and soak up that alone time to reflect and get to know myself again. I used to be one of those people who log on to FB every 15 minutes but after all that's happened, I could barely log on longer than a minute and won't come back until after 6 months. I read constantly, it seems its my only escape from calming my brain from over thinking. I also volunteered and went to different classes that interests me. I slept most of the time and isolated myself from negative friends, I only allowed communication when I know I can handle the conversations. Some friends have come and gone and that's ok, I was not a good friend to them while I was going through my phases. I also wrote a bucket list some grand and some simple, and I try to fulfill them as much as I can. I also joined this supportive forum with extremely intelligent and compassionate people. I also took meditative yoga, this and reading seems to calm my zigzagging brain and focus on getting better.

To the OP, breathe and everything will be OK. It might not look it right now but all the struggles, anxiety and loneliness will pass. If you need someone to talk to pm me and I'll be glad to help.

thats very intense what you experience. and you write from a strong stance at this point. i read stories like yours and i say that i have to hold my own, understand that there are things beyond my control. i also have to learn acceptance. thank you for making yourself available. it means a lot to me to know i can talk to someone

thank you as well as thank you to everyone here who has cared to post about their struggles and what has helped them.

some days are good, some are bad

Archived