Masters of Sex S3: We Are The Sexual Revolution [Spoilers]

BearQueen87

I can't believe we don't have a thread for the new season of Masters of Sex! (none that I could find anyway...)

So what does everyone think of the season thus far?

Some thoughts:

--Big theme of the season seems to be family, at least in the first two episodes. Libby is worried about her imagined perfect family being broken up because obviously she knows that Bill and Virgina are having an affair and that it is more than just sex. Bill is clearly attached to Gini in ways that he's never been attached to Libby. Bill seems to actively distancing himself from being a family man, because he is overly myopic but also out of fear. His interaction with his eldest son at the lake shows that--I thought he was going to punch the poor kid, thus becoming his own father. Virgina and her two kids are rocky at best. Tessa grew up fast; it was almost jarring to see her as a teenager (and one who wants to be sexually active at that). What are the odds that Henry dies while enlisted? I'd say pretty high because the historical Virgina Johnson did not have a son named Henry--Scott, yes. Henry no.

--I thought the press conference was well done, especially inter-cut with scenes from the lake. Gini and Bill are clearly more comfortable talking about their work to a room full of strangers than they are spending a holiday with their families. I also really enjoyed the reporter who was persistent to the point of rudeness but then, in the end, said the reason for that was because the Masters and Johnson book deserved such scrutiny because it's *that* important. I may have also done a little cheer when Gini said "We ARE the sexual revolution."

--Never enough Betty. Love her.

--Where are we going to end this season? I speculated elsewhere that by the end of the season, Bill and Libby have to both be ready to call their marriage over and done. Bill, I think, is mostly at that stage now. Libby still clings to "looking like the proper family." She needs the appearance of normalcy, hence her telling Bill that the next door neighbors think she is a single mother since he's never home and that they need to rectify that by having a party (or something)

--What happened to Dr. Langam? Did Lester and his wife "get over" their own sexual issues (wish we could have seen that, but I know that the writers need to push the timeline to get to certain milestones in the Masters and Johnson historical narrative). Are we going to see Ethan again?

--Is anyone else bothered by the card at the end of the episode that none of the children are historical? I always knew that they had to change the names of the kids, but I just assumed we were looking at Lisa and Scott (Virgina Johnson's kids) with Tessa and Henry but now it seems like the show is going to start actually bringing in the historical children since Gini just gave birth to a girl. Bill's youngest is called Howie, who is probably the show's version of Bill Master's historical son, who was named after him. (William Howell Masters)

I think the showrunner said in an interview that in real life they each have two kids, while in the show they each have three. And they had legal issues with that, hence the message.

Yes, I've heard that there were some real legal issues that needed to be sorted out. But I don't quite know why they needed to add a third child when Bill's eldest son could have easily be Howie and Gini's two kids could have been real life Scott and Lisa (but with different names, of course).

Episode 3 was probably my favorite episode of the season thus far; I feel like the previous two episodes were gearing up for this one: the reaction, both positive and negative, to Masters and Johnson's seminal book.

Some thoughts:

--Bill and Gini aren't having sex but they seem to be on somewhat solid ground, a first. The last time (last season) they stopped having sex and their own emotional relationship began to suffer. Now, they are closer with or without the sex. Close even to the point where Bill accepts Lisa as a part of Gini and whatever role he may play in her life.

ETA: goes back to the major theme of the season which is family; Gini and Bill and I think by proxy baby Lisa are building a new family while Gini's old family of Tessa and Henry and likewise Bill's old family of Libby and their three children are falling to pieces.

--Lester married...Jane? Did we know this? Was Betsy Brandt unavailable or something? I really feel like this came out of the left field (unless it's based in the historical narrative which I don't know as well)

--The actor playing Hugh Hefner was spot on!

--Tessa. Poor Tessa. My heart broke for her. She's obviously totally inexperienced and her first experience is violent and gross. And the second worst part of this whole refrain is that Gini and the book will be blamed instead of the man who forced himself on Tessa. Tessa's rape will be touted as proof that the book corrupts the minds of the youths and that Gini is not doing her "job" of raising her daughter properly because she was too consumed with sex.

--The Bible/Missionary guy was funny, but I really loved and laughed out loud when the guard just stared him down when the Missionary tried to talk to Gini.

--I know that Hef ends up bankrolling a lot of Masters and Johnson, so what's the point of the perfume guy? Is he really just another guy to come between Bill and Gini. That story has played out many times already.

--Libby's storyline sort of came to stand still. I get it; she's a bored housewife (like Jane and Joy) but she's been a bored housewife since the season began and she asked Bill point blank what he sees when he looks at her. Also, did the husband (Paul) beat Joy after Joy announced she was leaving and hence the brain trauma? That was my impression.

--The unexpected Scully return was nice, if sad since he can't be who he really is without judgement. It'd be nice to say that mankind has moved past the prejudice but alas....

--Speaking of unjust prejudice: "all girls who like sex are nymphos." Perhaps the nympho part isn't tossed around as much, but girls who enjoy sex still get labeled, and not kindly.

The Jane thing was quite weird, it's like they managed to get the actors back and they just wrote them in again without further explanation (well, at least, Beau Bridges got a reasonable reintroduction).

What happened to Lester's girlfriend from last season?

The Jane thing was quite weird, it's like they managed to get the actors back and they just wrote them in again without further explanation (well, at least, Beau Bridges got a reasonable reintroduction).

What happened to Lester's girlfriend from last season?

I have no idea. When we opened the season and learned that Lester had a wife and kids I assumed it was the woman from last season who was going through therapy with Bill and Gini. My only explanation is that the actress, Betsy Brandt, was doing something else and couldn't make an appearance on MoS.

Another good episode, but if I'm being honest I need the show to advance a little bit. I think they need to really push Masters and Johnson into the limelight of the show once more. It often feels like the two leads and their world changing book have taken a back seat to a lot of B-plot, like Tessa, Libby, Barton/Margaret and the next door neighbors. I also think that lately the B-plot stories are getting a little too heavy handed in how they relate back to Masters and Johnson. I don't need the other stories to tell me what Bill and Gini's problems are; I get that from watching them. So while I love Alison Janey and her character, her whole speech about secrets and insecurities and keeping things from the people we love and care about was a bit too on the nose and obviously a big flashing arrow to Bill and Gini about Bill's insecurities. Likewise the next door neighbor who tried to leave her husband and is now stuck forever in her current life is a bit too on the nose for Libby's story, especially when you have Libby's daughter point blank asking if Libby could ever end up like Joy and then Libby going off about how much Joy could still hear and know and see and understand.

--"I hear a phone ringing. Somewhere. Not here..." I love Betty. Also really loved her heart to heart with Bill later in the episode. She always hits the nail on the head.

--Bill Masters is an awkward awkward awwwwwwkward little man. I love him, even if he is prick. "I'd like to thank you...for your assistance today."

--I loved the scene where Bill presents the fur to Gini. I was laughing so hard.

--Allison Janey is NEVER unwelcome on this show. "How long should Graham and I wait to discuss our sexual issues, Barton? 30 years?" BURN. However I absolutely think that Margaret should be able to tell Graham why her marriage broke up. And it's rather heartbreaking that Margaret has taken all the blame with her and Barton's daughter.

--Barton, Margaret, and Graham. AWKWARD.

--With regards to Mr. Logan...okay, I like the actor and even the character has some charm and depth but I am rather over the "dangling Gini in front of a new guy and having Bill be jealous" storyline. It's been done, quite a bit.

--Tessa, Tessa, Tessa. Now I get why they decided to make Gini's eldest daughter a fictional character instead of being based on Virginia's real daughter. The writers are going to make Tessa Gini's "price" for her success.

--Whaaaaat? Margaret and Graham....and another girl? That was unexpected.

--Given the obvious parallels between Libby/Bill and Gini/Bill with the dinner and the fur coat, I am still predicting that this season will end with Bill and Libby divorcing and Bill wanting to marry Gini.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived