Wise Man's Fear [SPOILERS!]

Rugburn

Got the Kindle version, finished it last night.

I liked it to a greater degree than the first book.

Learning more about the Fae and Fae Realm was interesting, and we seem to be getting hints about the origin of the Chandrian/Seven. Regrettably, we still don't really seem to have any idea of what is going on in the greater world of the "present" in the story, other than the civil war and nasty things creeping into the world.

All of Kvothe's mooning over Denna didn't really bother me that much. It's a re-telling, and she's obviously one of the more important parts of his story, to him at least. I liked how their relationship seemed to be falling apart near the end, mostly because* both of them were carrying open secrets (Denna and her sadistic patron, Kvothe and Felurian/his adventures/his romances with other women) that they knew the other knew about, but couldn't actually talk about out loud.

I agree that the Ademre training section went on for too long. It was mildly interesting at first, but I quickly started thinking "Okay, when is he finally going to be getting back to Vint?" That might just be me, though - I'm not particularly fond of the whole "ascetic warrior race" set-up, nor of swordsmanship training sequences.

The bandit tracking sequence had some of the same stuff, but it at least had a very cool ending when Kvothe does his lightning "white pillar of fire" method for destroying the bandit camp. I liked it more.

Kvothe's friends seemed more fleshed out in this one, but I'd still be hard-pressed to really define them beyond one or two attributes. Fela is . . . pretty and smart. Simmon is . . . a poet? Fond of chasing women and failing before hooking up with Fela? In love with Fela? On the other hand, Auri, Elodin, his fellow bandit hunters, and Devi seemed much more "solid".

Anyways, it was an overall enjoyable book.

EDIT: I re-posted this over in the dedicated spoilers thread.

Bah.

Borders still hasn't shipped my copy. I knew I shoulda gone with Amazon.

Yeah, there's a reason Borders is failing. They refuse to sell books that people actually want to buy. I went there on my lunch break Tuesday afternoon, and they had nothing. Ended up getting it later that night at B&N.

Still only 30 pages into it though. :(

I have finished reading it.

I agree some of the Denna scenes could have been cut out.

The entire Adem thinking women give birth without men was just stupid. It could have been explained away easily by saying there was something they ate or drank that made acted like a contraceptive. But Patrick didn't

When he met the Cthaeh and got a few answers then he ran away? Here was a Fae with all the answers he needed. Why ran away?

Apart from these few small things, the book was quiet good. I enjoyed reading it.

Archived