Wise Man's Fear [SPOILERS!]

Rugburn

OK, that series is not going to work for me. I held up on the first book because it sounded like a coming of age story and I don't care about those. Wanted to wait where the story goes in the second book, but obviously Kvothe is still coming of age. ;) 1000+ pages of that stuff is too much for me.

Might want to wait till the series is finished because there is going to be a plot-bomb in the third one!

Don't know about a plot-bomb...

As I'm still waiting to hear back from Pat and his editor regarding an extract, I don't think we can expect much in terms of excerpts for TWMF...

And you can win a copy of the book here! :)

Patrick

Might want to wait till the series is finished because there is going to be a plot-bomb in the third one!

The setup would still be too long for my taste. There are so many books, so why should I buy those that look like I won't finish them? Review blogs and forums like this, with several different opinions, are exactly the place to weed out the ones for which I'm not the target audience.

from Pat's review:

It's everything its predecessor was, and then some! However, if you weren't thrilled by Rothfuss' debut, then I believe you need not bother with the second volume. Style-wise and plot-wise, regardless of the fact that the storylines are a bit more ambitious, there is likely nothing that can win over readers who were not that impressed with The Name of the Wind. In terms of style and tone, both novels are pretty similar. So I doubt that The Wise Man's Fear can satisfy readers that weren't enchanted by the first one.

This tells me everything I need to know, so thank you!

On the one hand, I think that Rothfuss has a great way of stringing words together - his writing pleases me.

On the other hand, I thought his debut novel was fully mediocre - too padded (the draccus sequence was purely unneeded for the plot OR character development), too repetitious (how many times did I need to hear the kid bitching about being poor?), a main character who is too much of a self-described Gary Stu (I could buy gifted at either magic or music but not both, as both would be stern and demanding mistresses), an irritating sort-of romance (Denna - UGH), and far too inspired by Harry Potter once the kid got to school.

If these things have not gotten better - and he is still in school for a big chunk of the next book - I probably will not bother with it.

And that does make me feel sad, as I do like Rothfuss' writing style, but I think that he absolutely needs an editor with a big red pen to cut out the repetition and needless side trips (like the draccus). Such an editor could have really made a huge difference in quality for the first book - and from the sound of it, the second as well.

I think it's pretty clear-cut, really. If you didn't like TNotW, I have a feeling that Rothfuss may never be your thing...

And according to our agent, a LOT of stuff was cut from the manuscript. Makes you wonder, though... :worried:

Patrick

• 3 weeks later...

I wasn't too impressed either. I think Rothfuss has really handled his fame well, and in a positive light (the whole charity organization he runs; you don't see many fantasy authors pushing it the way he does) -- so his persona is more impressive to me than his written work.

Far more entertaining is the comment section. Rothfuss's hardcore fans sure bristle at any criticism directed toward TNotW.

(Spoilers)

Did anyone else think that to little happened in this book. Not that i didn't love it, but it feels like there should be at least eight years to go before we get to the present.

I did like where it was going with the Edema Ruh plotline.

That excerpt was terrible, at least it cements my decision not to buy.

I have to admit that it's pretty lame as far as extracts go...

But Rothfuss and Daw seem quite worried about giving anything away, which I guess is why they went for a pretty harmless extract...

There are loads of better spoiler-free scenes to choose from...

Patrick

Archived