Aemon's words to Sam at Braavos

Northman256

I'm not exactly sure about the fire comment but I took the "cold perserves" one to mean that that is why he (Aemon) has lived so long. Because he was spent most of his life on the wall and now that he is no longer there and is in warmer climate his health is rapidly failing him.

Quoting the first page, but this is what I took from it as well. Steel_Wind's post at the bottom of that page is great, though.

Aemon's dialogue as he's dying are some of the saddest moments in the books to me. It breaks my heart when he laments his inability to go to Danaerys, or when he wakes up and starts talking to Egg and says, "I dreamed that I was old." It reminds me of the elderly demented patients on the hospital floor where I used to work that would ask us to call their parents for them.

Totally forgot about this passage. Super awesome and glad it is being discussed.

I don't have any particular theories that haven't been mentioned here but reading Aemon's lines while I am re-reading the book definitely are special moments- he knows so much and his death was one that I mourned the most in the series.

<snip>So in my mind its quite clear that he is not talking about his health deteriorating because of the weather.

Very good. The consuming fire is the Targaryen dragon obsession!

• 2 months later...

Its hard to say exactly what it is, perhaps it is a sense of forboding about R'hllor or the other.

Perhaps he realises that the 7 is the true faith ?

He doesnt know about Jon (nor do we yet) but perhaps it is difficult for a targaryan to die on the wall ? (Jon not being killed by his black brothers ?)

Perhaps its to do with bloodraven ?!

Whatever it is, the way that he writes his books its bound to mean something

Archived