The Blackfish

Jonias Snow

My favorite is Daniel Day-Lewis, I know he has taken off from acting, but this would be a good role for him to jump in on. The role isn't to major and wouldn't require him to spend much time so he can stay semi-retired. The Blackfish is in all the books and I guess the actor will need to clear a month out of his calendar each year, that shouldn't be hard for Mr. Lewis.

I remember there being a discussion and us thinking that Jeremy Irons would be perfect.

Showtime must have read that discussion and signed him real fast to "Borgias", so I guess it's Daniel Day-Lewis, they are both in the same league and wouldn't that be kudos for HBO, a casting like that would really pull in quite a few viewers.

Showtime must have read that discussion and signed him real fast to "Borgias", so I guess it's Daniel Day-Lewis, they are both in the same league and wouldn't that be kudos for HBO, a casting like that would really pull in quite a few viewers.

I always saw Daniel Day-Lewis as an Iron born, Either as Aeron Damphair or Euron Greyjoy (especially when he's king). Problem is, Day-Lewis is very picky about his roles... He really doesn't act very often, so I imagine it would be next to impossible for HBO to get him unless by some chance he loves the series and want's to do it...

TBH, I wanted Day-Lewis as Ned originally. Such a great actor. :bowdown:

Not sure how I feel about Jeremy Irons, I think I still hold Lolita and Damage against him... And physically he seems too slim and elegant to me. Whereas in my mind the Blackfish is thicker, hardier, more of a big guy.

I'm trying to stay within the realm of reality. I'm sure Sean Bean wasn't cheap, Dinklage either, so they'll have to get someone lesser known who is perhaps trying to break into the American market acting-wise that they can get for a bargain. Blackfish is certainly a bit of a larger than life character, but is he really critical to the story to warrant them spending a fortune on the actor when there are plenty of awesome yet reasonably-priced character actors out there? My favorite is Holland's Victor Reinier:

Victor Reinier in A Letter for the King

His look is great :thumbsup: But of course he has to be able to pass for Michelle Fairley's uncle, and the actor appears to be only a year older.

FWIW, in the book the Blackfish is described as lean and craggy, not really meaty and burly (that would appear to be his brother).

FWIW, in the book the Blackfish is described as lean and craggy, not really meaty and burly (that would appear to be his brother).

Huh, didn't remember that. Still, Irons is too elegant and posh in my mind.

• 2 weeks later...

His look is great :thumbsup: But of course he has to be able to pass for Michelle Fairley's uncle, and the actor appears to be only a year older.

Being an uncle doesn't necessarily mean that Blackfish is way older than his niece, especially in the world of Westeros where life is cheap and wives even cheaper, plus the book isn't definitive on the subject of the differences in age. Everyone looks burly in plate armour. Victor is rather average in build and closeups reveal a much craggier face, especially when not covered with a beard.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure how I feel about Jeremy Irons, I think I still hold Lolita and Damage against him

Lolita and Damage?!? If Jeremy Irons ever did something to deserve my loathing was Dungeons and Dragons. Actually, lose the "if" and "ever" part. I swear to God that if I happened to cross path with him in the street right after watching that film, I'd end under police custody. I only warmed to him again after watching the Director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven.

I would welcome him as the Blackfish, as unlikely as it is for him to accept the role now. I'm not too sure about Danied Day Lewis. I think he's too intense to be left with just a secondary role.

Casting the Blackfish

This is a post from my blog where I've been adding possible Blackfishies, also from the suggestions I read here and on WiC. I actually have to thank you all for making me discover wonderful actors such as Jeff Fahey or Peter Mullan.

Mafham, Morrissey, McGann, Reinier... they all look so young! But this does not mean they should be excluded a priori. Reinier in particular looks very interesting. I may get aroung to adding them to my list.

PS - Yay, a new Blackfish thread!

Casting the Blackfish

This is a post from my blog where I've been adding possible Blackfishies, also from the suggestions I read here and on WiC. I actually have to thank you all for making me discover wonderful actors such as Jeff Fahey or Peter Mullan.

Mafham, Morrissey, McGann, Reinier... they all look so young! But this does not mean they should be excluded a priori. Reinier in particular looks very interesting. I may get aroung to adding them to my list.

PS - Yay, a new Blackfish thread!

I've just had a look to your blog. Some strong candidates there, mixed with some odd choices (shit-eating grin Dennis Quaid? not in my lifetime).

I think, for no-British audience, Billy Connelly could work, but he's such a distinctive figure in here that I think we'd never see Blackfish, just Billy Connelly in armor.

I've just had a look to your blog. Some strong candidates there, mixed with some odd choices (shit-eating grin Dennis Quaid? not in my lifetime).

I think, for no-British audience, Billy Connelly could work, but he's such a distinctive figure in here that I think we'd never see Blackfish, just Billy Connelly in armor.

ROFL, I had noticed I had to change that Dennis Quaid pic, it's too modern (or too shit-eating) ;) In some roles (Pandorum) he is suitably grizzled and a little ambiguous.

Anyway, thanks for checking out my page! I believe I'm trying to avoid Blackfishies that would be unpleasant to me, more than suggest candidates. My ideal Blackfish is a mix of all my candidates.

I don't know Billy Connolly enough... He looks impressive, I hope that if they choose him they'll find a way to make him look like Brynden and not like Billy Connolly in armour. Heck, by now I'd be happy with Jeremy Irons, even though he would not be my first choice.

(My first choice would be Jeff Fahey, but I fear this is very, very subjective.)

(My first choice would be Jeff Fahey, but I fear this is very, very subjective.)

In my early teams I used to daydream waking up one day with Jeff Fahey's eyes. I was convinced with them I'd get any chick I set my mind to.

Needless to say, never got the eyes. My success ratio with the chicks didn't match my dreams either.

I never understood why Fahey didn't get a more successful career. It pained me find him time after time in B productions, sort of a Lord in the DVD rental's kingdom.

Archived