Best/Worst 5 POV characters?

reduxien

This is hard to do encompassing all of the books since some of them change so much.

WORST

1. Cersei-just don't care what crazy thing she will do next.

2. Catelyn-can't stand her personality and just don't enjoy her chapters.

3. Bran-too much wandering through the woods dreaming about eating fresh meat but actually eating frogs.

4. Brienne-frustrating travelogue of little or no consequence.

5. Sansa-early ignorance and snobbishness was annoying got better later on but don't particularly like Eyrie chapters either.

BEST

1. Eddard-just loved reading about him.

2. Arya-diddo above. A bit much traveling for awhile but still enjoyed her.

3. Davos-always seems to be where the action is.

4. Jon-sometimes not much going on at the wall other than Jon whining but I still like him.

5. Theon-his chapters certainly are interesting and well written.

Conspicuously absent: I see Tyrion, Jaime, and Dany on a lot of lists but all of them are a bit meh to me. At one point Dany was awesome to read but I am so over her now.

Yeah, Catelyn totally took over when Robb sent her to Bitterbridge or told Theon to go to Pyke, or when Ned forced her to stay in Winterfell, or refused to send Jon away, or left with Robert when she begged him not to at Bran's bedside

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't it Catelyn who initially told Eddard he HAD to go to King's Landing with Robert? I thought he initially wanted to just turn down the offer until Catelyn convinced him to go. It would look pretty bad to not serve as hand after accepting the position. He could have maybe delayed leaving because of Bran's fall.

WORST

ASHA GREYJOY - As soon as she became a POV character she got boring

THEON GREYJOY - I hate him, I just hate him

ARIANNE MARTELL - Boring, just plain boring

BRAN STARK - All this talk of the three-eyed crow is just not interesting to me, he was fun till he could walk, after the fall he got boring

SANSA STARK - Even though I can recognize her character ark is impressive and she's always developing and changing, I just can't stand her whining

BEST

CATELYN TULLY - She is heartbreaking and moving and strong and a bunch of other inspiring things

JAIME LANNISTER - To see the character change and mature in his own head, it's just wonderful

TYRION LANNISTER - He's hysterically funny, my favorite character

JON SNOW - To see him struggle with his life and his choices is incredibly entertaining and very moving

EDDARD STARK - I miss him so much

BEST

1. Tyrion Lannister - my favourite character, he's never disappointed me. Awesome jokes, wits, estimation and charisma.

2. Jon Snow - He's been on his own since the beginning of the novels, always making tough decisions, sacrificing everything in the name of his duties and putting his wishes and feelings aside for the greater good. I truly admire him, the only thing I don't really like about him is the lack of humour, he probably inherited that from his father.

3. Theon Greyjoy - a guy who goes through a lot, but still manages to overcome the odds. One of the most interesting POV characters.

4. Jaime Lannister - a complicated character who bears the stigma of a kingslayer, but nonetheless evolves throughout the series, turning into something more than just a fierce knight.

5. Davos - loyal to his very core.

WORST

1. Arys Oakheart - Probably the biggest filler in the novels. Utterly boring.

2. Brienne - even though she interacts with Jaime, her character is so flat that I almost gave up reading her chapters in AFFC.

3. Sansa Stark - Probably the most boring member of the Starks.

4. Victaion Greyjoy - Nothing special about him, just another brick in the wall...

5. Catelyn Stark - Never been fond of her either.

BEST

1. Tyrion Lannister - my favourite character, he's never disappointed me. Awesome jokes, wits, estimation and charisma.

2. Jon Snow - He's been on his own since the beginning of the novels, always making tough decisions, sacrificing everything in the name of his duties and putting his wishes and feelings aside for the greater good. I truly admire him, the only thing I don't really like about him is the lack of humour, he probably inherited that from his father.

3. Theon Greyjoy - a guy who goes through a lot, but still manages to overcome the odds. One of the most interesting POV characters.

4. Jaime Lannister - a complicated character who bears the stigma of a kingslayer, but nonetheless evolves throughout the series, turning into something more than just a fierce knight.

5. Davos - loyal to his very core.

WORST

1. Arys Oakheart - Probably the biggest filler in the novels. Utterly boring.

2. Brienne - even though she interacts with Jaime, her character is so flat that I almost gave up reading her chapters in AFFC.

3. Sansa Stark - Probably the most boring member of the Starks.

4. Victaion Greyjoy - Nothing special about him, just another brick in the wall...

5. Catelyn Stark - Never been fond of her either.

I disagree about Arys ,I think he is a actually a tragic character and very important to the the Dorne chapters .

Best

1. Tyrion - He's funney, he's cool, has a cool storyline, a bit of an underdog, but born with a golden spoon in his mouth. A flawed and interesting character.

2. Danny - Very interesting and exotic world, can sometimes get a little lost herself, but the cast of characters remains interesting. In the last book both Dan and Tyrion dimmed a lot, but oh well, on Average, they are both still pretty interesting.

3. Melissandre - The one POV chapter from her point of view was flat out fascinating to me. It really made me think about this character in a totally different way.

4. Maester Cressen - A very good mini-story, very moving in some ways.

5. Davos - Awesome guy. Cool adventures. Never lets it get to his head. Nuff said.

Worst

1. Bran. Until the last book I could not stand the boringness of his chapters. Lots of dreams, lots of whining, lots of nothing.

2. All the AFFC Iornborn - I don't like you or your obnoxious culture.

3. Dornish Subplots - Aero Hotath, etc. The only one I care slightly about is the Prince of Dorn, the rest of you plotting scheming losers can go to hell.

4. Cercei - Not big problems with her, but she is just kind of an unpleasant bitch. I couldn't bring myself to be on her side, even momentarily. If she were a little more cognizant of what was going on around her, I would like her better, but She and her gang of lickspittles are sort of unlovable.

5. Cat - At some point she says something like "I must sound like such a bitter old women to blalbla" and I was like YES, you are a very dusty old cunt. Every day is a funeral with this one. I understand why, and I understand her motivations, but being inside her head was a little on the depressing side.

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't it Catelyn who initially told Eddard he HAD to go to King's Landing with Robert? I thought he initially wanted to just turn down the offer until Catelyn convinced him to go. It would look pretty bad to not serve as hand after accepting the position. He could have maybe delayed leaving because of Bran's fall.

That was the show not the book

Best

1. Jon

2. Bran

3. Arya

4. Tyrion

5. Jamie

Worst

1. Brienne

2. Brienne

3. Daenerys - in dance

4. Sansa - in the first 3 books

5. Aeron Damphair

Best:

1. Tyrion

2. Sansa

3. Jaime

4. Dany

5. Dornish chapters

(both Dany and Tyrion were actually not so enjoyable in ADWD but overall still two of my favorite POV)

Worst:

1. Bran

2. Jon

3. Davos

4. Any Ironborn except Asha

5. Sam

How do some ppl not like Davos and Bran POV?

I find both of them incredibly boring, nothing against the characters, I do love Bran but I just wish I read about him less.

AGoT to ACoK

Best:

Tyrion

Come on, who doesn't love the little guy? He's funny, he's witty, he's smart, he's courageous, and he just might be a horrible little monkey demon. I see eye to eye (heh) with Tyrion a lot, and I can empathize with a lot of his family issues. He's been my favorite since day 1, and I'm hoping he comes out on top. Some of the best chapters in the series have come from his POV, like the King's Landing riots, or Blackwater.

Jon

What goes for Tyrion goes for Jon. The Wall has always been my favorite storyline in the series, and Jon's has been particularly fascinating. I get a kick out of that stuff. I love the camaraderie Jon has with his brothers of the Watch, and I love his personal conflicts. I know a lot of people don't, but those people are clearly insane :lol:

Arya

One of the most downtrodden and miserable characters, but she always manages to look on the bright side of things. Her chapters leading up to and following the red wedding were heartbreaking, her bonds with Sandor and Gendry and even Hot Pie great, and through her we got our most significant look at the Brotherhood Without Banners. I hope she gets back to Westeros soon.

Ned

Poor, poor Ned. He was a good man, in over his head. He refused to play the game of thrones, and died for it. His chapters were frustrating to read at times,

Theon

What a game changer. Theon's story has been brutal from the beginning. Even through everything he does, it's hard not to feel some empathy for the poor guy. Even crazy douchebags need love.

Honorable Mention: Bran and Cat. Never got the hate.

Worst:

Dany

I have never been able to get invested in Dany's chapters. When I started reading, I was having trouble figuring out who was who, and it took me a while to realize that she was connected to the events I actually cared about, no matter how distantly. Aside from that, her retinue of supporting characters have never been anything more than paper mache stereotypes.

Sansa

Admittedly, Sansa as a character grew on me, but her chapters never did. I had a hard time struggling through them. I found her completely without redeeming qualities for the longest time, and her betrayal of Ned sealed it for me. Stupid Sansa.

Davos

He's a good man, I know, but his chapters were just tough to get through, his lead-in to the Blackwater being the worst offender. That chapter literally bored me to tears, and it's one I skip every reread.

Hm. Can't think of any others for this one. Yay GRRM.

ASoS to AFFC

I'll try to mix it up a bit and leave off those I listed above. Except for Dany and Sansa, because fuck Dany and Sansa.

Best:

Jaime

I love this dude. He's such a great smartass, and his is probably the only true redemption story we've gotten (even if he's not quite there yet) through a POV character. He might be the Kingslayer, but he's also Ser Jaime Lannister, Knight of the Kingsguard.

Samwell

Watching him find his courage was very interesting to me. Aside from that, he was another fascinating glimpse at events at and beyond the Wall. The scene where he and Gilly are rescued by Coldhands is fantastic. I really hope Sam and his fat pink mast come out on top. Moving on.

Brienne

I've always enjoyed what people call 'travelogues,' and this was no different. Brienne is an amazing character, one of the few true knights in the entire series. My favorite scene in the entire series is where she decides that she has to fight the Bloody Mummers outside the inn, even if it means her life. Incredible.

Shit. I'm out. I guess I'll finish up with Jon and Tyrion again, because let's face it, their stories in ASOS are great.

Worst:

Dany and Sansa again. Sansa's chapters in AFFC deserve special mention because they're so goddamn long.

I'll make the five with the Ironborn: Asha, Victarion, and Aeron. I have a hard time when authors introduce major characters and plotlines this late in the game as it is, but when they're insufferable to boot, it truly becomes a painstaking read.

I was about to do one for ADWD, but then I realized I'm in the wrong forum. I followed that up with another realization, that I have entirely too much time on my hands. Yay Internet!

Best:

1. Tyrion

2. Sansa

3. Jaime

4. Dany

5. Dornish chapters

(both Dany and Tyrion were actually not so enjoyable in ADWD but overall still two of my favorite POV)

Worst:

1. Bran

2. Jon

3. Davos

4. Any Ironborn except Asha

5. Sam

I find both of them incredibly boring, nothing against the characters, I do love Bran but I just wish I read about him less.

Well if you dont care about warging and magic I guess I could see ppl not liking bran chapters.

This might seem a little weird but your a girl right?

There are some chapters that I absolutely cannot put down because I like the character so much and other chapters from loathed characters which I can't wait to end. I'm curious to see everyone's preferences. List your Best/Worst 5 POV characters to read :)

I can't answer this generally because it really changes from book to book. Here's a top 3, bottom 3 for the first 4 books:

AGOT

Best - Tyrion/Dany/Ned

Worst - Sansa/Bran/Cat

ACOK

Best - Tyrion/Dany/Arya

Worst - Bran/Davos/Cat

ASOS

Best - Jon/Davos/Tyrion

Worst - Bran/Jaime/Samwell

AFFC

Best - Arya/Cersei/Jaime

Worst - Brienne/Samwell/Martells

Favorite: (In order of most to least) :wub:

1.Jon- His is the classic fantasy experience, which is not at all a bad thing in my opinion, he faces a largely unknown enemy that no one else believes exists, he sees places that few others have ever seen and lived to tell the tale, and he has the most mysterious past and future of all the characters and doesn't even know it. :read:

2.Eddard- the last truly honorable and nobleman in Westeros, loved by his family and by his people. His past is part of the backbone of the story, his part in the rebellion and the events after and before it are still mysterious, despite being five books in already. Also he introduced us to Westeros, he was the closest thing to a protagonist we had in the first book. I respect his character even now for remaining honorable to nearly the very end, only giving up his honor to try and protect his family, his death was a tragic event. :bawl:

3.Jaime- His chapters in ASOS were the best in that superb book filled to the brim with great chapters and great characters. He is more noble then he acts, more honorable then he acts, and far more nicer then he acts. His character growth and development is awe inspiring, I like him to the point where he is now one of my favorite characters, with question by favorite Lannister (Sorry Tyrion). :bowdown:

4.Tyrion- at one time my favorite (especially during the second book), but fell a bit in the third book and alot in the fifth book. He was funny, cunning, and manipulative, but still seemed to have some morals despite being a ugly, whoring dwarf. However, he does seem to be becoming alot more dark and angry, which could end badly. :stunned:

5. The Dornish Chapters - The Dornish chapters at first bored me, till I read the last one at the very end of AFFC, then went back and reread them and found them far more interesting. The political climate of Dorne involving the Sand Snakes, Doran, and Arienne is great, and I can't help but wonder how it will end and who will come out on top, I know its a strange choice. :blushing:

Honorable mention: Davos, Sansa, Reek

Hated: (In order of most to least) :ack:

1.Dany- Her chapters in AGOT were great, but then free fell. I began to really dislike her character in ACOK, she always seemed to be so self assured to the point of arrogance when it comes to fighting her enemies, she insults and hates other characters that I really like when she doesn't even know anything about them but pretends to know. Her story always seems far apart from everyone else and seems to have so little relevance to the entire story overall, not to mention the names of most of the characters in her chapters are always so strange and numerous, and it usually turns out that most of those characters aren't even important. :bang:

2.The Ironborn Chapters- I hate nearly all of them; Aeron, Asha, Victarion, all of them bore me to the point where I just skipped entire sections, they all act so macho and strong, but they are all so pathetic. :frown5:

3.Brienne- her chapters in AFFC were SO BORING, I liked her character so much more BEFORE she was a POV. :thumbsdown:

4.Bran- his chapters were always boring compared to his siblings who always seem to be on the move, while he just sat around, which I know wasn't his choice. But to be fair, his recent chapters were some of the best in the book.

5.Samwell- It really isn't his fault, its just he is overshadowed by Jon for most of the third book, being two POVs in basically the same plot. Then in AFFC, well he was on the move so much he rarely ever did anything besides sail, although I won't deny some of his earliest and latest chapters are interesting.

Best

1. Tyrion (Easily some of the best lines in the SERIES...next to Dolorous Edd, of course)

2. Theon (he's a smug little bastard...and I respect that)

3. Davos (His conflicting morals are cool)

4. Eddard (Words fail to describe his awesome)

5. Sansa (I like her BECAUSE she's an idiot)

Worst

1. Danearys (While the world she's IN is cool, she herself is just droll, and the dragons seem like a desperate attempt at making her not suck.)

2. Asha (total 360 as soon as she got a POv)

3. Doran (he could be worse, but he's so calculative he bores me)

4. Mr. IlostmyhandsonowI'machangedperson (name says it all)

5. The sandsnake chicks (Just. Plain. Useless)

Best:

1. Arya

2. Jon

3. Bran

4. Sansa

5. Dany

Worst:

1. Anyone from the Iron Isles besides Theon

2. Anyone from Dorne

3. Cat chapters initially (though better on reread)

4. Brienne...I still enjoy them somewhat but they were the most boring

Archived