Best/Worst 5 POV characters?

reduxien

Best:

- Eddard: Still my favorite. He did everything right in my book

- Jon: A man born to lead and makes the nasty choices he is forced to make

- Bran: He will be one the major players that helps to restore the Starks in the North!

- Davos: An honorable smuggler. He is a stand up guy and helped me appreciate Stannis

- Arya: Her time will come...and she will kick major ass!

Worst:

- Dany : Stupid, spoiled brat that gets lucky all the time and never 'pays' for her actions

- Dany : I really LOATHE her

- Ironborn: I don't care about those guys. I just want them to pay for what they've done to the north...Tenfold!

- Dornish: Yawn!..

- Cersei: Evil meets stupid

Worst:

Cersei. Stupid. Evil. Blind. Shortminded. Ghrrr! Wake up, woman!

Dany. I don't like her yet.

Prophet of drowned god./yawn/

Arianne. Bad girl! Listen your daddy! What are you doing!? Stop!

Best:

Bran. So mysterious. I can't wait for "Dance".

Arya.

Jon Snow/Samwell

Davos. I love him and I love his King. Sorry - our King.

Tyrion.

This is not to say that I like my 'Best' characters or dislike my 'Worst', but rather which are most interesting.

Best:

Arya. So awesome.

Tyrion. So snarky.

Cersei. So crazy. I can always hear a faint, "The dingo ate my BABY!" during her chapters. Don't know why.

Jon. Yeah, I'm a sucker for the lilly white character in this sea of grey. Sue me.

Reek. So visceral. *shiver*

Worst:

Bran. So slllloooowww.

Samwell. So unnecessary.

Victarion. Ibid.

Arrianne. Ibid.

Ned. So boring. Possibly influenced by me watching GoT prior to reading any of the books.

Best POVs:

1. Arya - simply the best

2. Sansa (gets better with every book)

3. Tyrion (gets worse with every book but still enjoyable enough)

4. Cersei (not so evil after all)

5. Jon (not the most gripping story, but I like him anyway)

Worst:

1 DAENERYS (can you imagine anybody more boring, I hope she will be eliminated soon)

2. Brienne

3. Aeron

4. Catelyn

5. Eddard

2, 4, 5 - because they are stupid and blind to the reality

My favourite povs are not the same as my favourite characters. I really, really dislike Tyrion because I cannot read him without thinking you participated in the gang rape of your wife you cowardly bastard stop whining and BURN but I enjoy his pov chapters because of his witticisms.

I'm fond of both Jon and Arya, but their pov chapters are so far removed from everything else that I can't bring myself to care about them, much less their plotlines.

My overall favourite would be Sansa for the best character development and political intrigue.

Cersei and Eddard alternate between being entertaining to read and being such idiots I want to bash my head against the wall.

The one character I disliked (until ADWD) was Dany.

Best

Jon - He's Ned reborn for me.

Lannister Twins - Both are hilarious for me, whether it be Jamie trashing talking people or Cersei's inner voice where she seems to hate everyone.

Tyrion - Brilliant character development, nearly everything he says holds a lot of meaning.

Arya - Her story so far has probably been the best read, however unreal it may be.

Catelyn - Quite a tragic character to follow but I enjoy reading her chapters alltogether.

Worst

Bran - Only thing that brightens his chapters for me is Hodor, such a narrow minded boring character.

Asha - I feel like skipping her chapters, don't find her story or anything about her interesting.

Aeron - Again, don't find much interest here, the Iron characters don't hold anything for aside for Theon.

Sansa - Her chapters generally infuriate me, such a terrible character, she's become bearable as of late, but still a horrible character in my mind, totally the opposite of Arya.

Daenerys - ....

Best:

Favorites:

1. Theon - the most human, interesting character in the series, in both his past and present life - people that name him a villain make me laugh. Theon is easily my favorite character, miles ahead of anyone. But most important to this discussion, every single chapter of his is thrilling, which can be said of very little characters. I look forward to his ADWD chapters more than anything, and I felt like I had been gutted when I read his spoiler chapter. Long live Theon.

2. Jaime

3. Arya through SoS.

4. Catelyn

5. Asha

Worst:

1. Arianne

2. Dany

3. Bran

4. Melissandre

5. Samwell

wow, i cant believe how many strongly dislike the one-offs and Davos chapters. Davos is probably my favorite character (reminds me a lot of Dunk). You guys don't like the one-off chapters...really? I think there great becuase the character archs aren't as drawn out. This means that they don't have to follow the same rules of exposition as the other chapters. Plus, we get a pretty good glimpse of Dorne and Sunspear through Areo's/Arianne's/Oakheart's eyes.

Best

1. Tyrion. The best character. Hilarious. After the first two books it didn’t matter what happened the rest of the series, he’ll always be the best POV.

2. Jaime. If he hadn’t joined the game so late as a POV he might be on the top. He might have been even more interesting than Tyrion since SoS. It’s fascinating to get in his head.

3. Reek. I’m including reek separately from Theon. How Martin made me feel pity for Ned Starks’ ward I’ll never understand.

4. Sansa. Awful in the first book. But since then her’s have been some of the most interesting chapters, with all the politics in Kings Landing. Admittedly that’s more inspite of Sansa than because of it. But still good chapters.

5. Cersei. Ok, to be straightforward I hate Cersei. But it’s always interesting to get in the head of someone as messed up as she is. All the intrigue in King’s Landing helps. Of course I might just like her because she gives me more Tyrion and Jaime.

Worst

1. Bran. There’s no way to say this other than Bran bores the hell out of me. In GoT it wasn’t so bad because his storyline actually seemed to matter. So I trudged through. But especially since he left Winterfell it’s been unbearable. The only way I will forgive Martin for Bran’s story is if he wargs into Drogon. And I still might not.

2. Catelyn. I definitely didn’t cry when she died. Yeah, I did feel bad for her losing all her family. But I can only take so much. The only good thing she ever did was get Jaime out of prison.

3. Theon. Yes, I’ve technically included Theon on both the best and worst list. But Theon and Reek are two very different characters, even if they are the same person. And I hate Theon. Even if he didn’t really kill Rickon. Plus, the Iron Islands just seem a little over the top to me.

4. Daenerys. I’m probably gonna get flack for this. Her story doesn’t interest me. Plus I can’t get on board with a 14 year-old girl conquering cities in the kind of world they live in. Even if she does have dragons. I guess I just don’t like seeing people make mistakes and that seems to be all Dany does. Perhaps I just can’t get into the mind of a teenage girl.

5. Jon. He’s low on the list because I actually enjoy his story. But I just can’t make myself like Jon. Especially in the earlier books all he does is whine. “Woe is me, I’m a bastard born to the second most powerful man in the country, who chose to raise me as one of his own children, in his own house. His wife occasionally gives me dirty looks. I don’t get to sit at the big kid’s table when the king comes to visit. I’ve had and incredibly tough life that 99% percent of the people in Westeros would kill to have.” Just shut up already.

1. Bran. There’s no way to say this other than Bran bores the hell out of me. In GoT it wasn’t so bad because his storyline actually seemed to matter. So I trudged through. But especially since he left Winterfell it’s been unbearable. The only way I will forgive Martin for Bran’s story is if he wargs into Drogon. And I still might not.

It's fascinating how much variation there is here regarding best and worst aspects of the books. In stark contrast to the above, I adore Bran's chapters. I've always assumed his story will be amongst the most important, and...

I spent all of ADWD praying that the next chapter would be his, and was pretty disappointed that he had so few chapters. His last chapter was probably my favourite of any chapter ever, I've been gagging to read it ever since "some say they could even warg into the trees, and see the truth beyond this world..." (I forget the exact quote and who said it)

Best:

1. Bran

2. Bran

3. Bran

4. Tyrion

5. Jon

Worst (in no particular order)

1. Daenerys (I like her, and some of her chapters......but I have a horrible feeling that when all is said and done everything between ditching Viserys and invading Westeros will be utterly pointless)

2. Catelyn (Couldn't shake the feeling that she was simply a pair of eyes to see what Robb was up to.......might as well have Robb as a POV character)

3. Theon (during aCoK anyway.......arrogant and cocksure, his whole arc had failure written all over it)

4. Cersei (again, it was too obvious that she was going to fail miserably)

5. Errr........I dunno. Probably some less important aFfC character. Take your pick.

It's fascinating how much variation there is here regarding best and worst aspects of the books. In stark contrast to the above, I adore Bran's chapters. I've always assumed his story will be amongst the most important, and...

Stark contrast”; I like that. ;-}

In no particular order, the Starks certainly make up the best parts of the books, with the dispossessed Stark Sansa coming in dead last. I would give Ned, Cat, Arya, and Bran Stark top billing, followed by either of Jon Connington or Barristan Selmy for my fifth slot, and with honorable mention going to Davos Seaworth. I am tired of reading about broken stupid people.

Only now in the last book has Jon begun to become a tolerable read.

There is no question that Martin has bent over frontwards to make sometime-villains like Jaime and Theon less one-dimensional, trying to portray them as humans who have made horrible decisions. Doesn’t matter: they still did horrible things, although at least Jaime has become somewhat less terrible to read about. Apart from Asha, the Greyjoys are all icky barbaric trash — just look at the wicked evil things that Victarion does — and even Asha isn’t at all interesting.

Martin has really done us, and himself as well, a disservice by going from 8 central viewpoints in the same time and place to now 24 spread hither and yon. It is simply too much to keep track of, to care about.

My least favorite characters, again not in any order, are Damphair, Victarion, Theon, Cersei, and Dany.

I think every character arc has gone through highs and lows.

Dany, Jon, and Tyrion all struggled in the last book (IMHO), and there were some others that were outstanding that I didn't like as much previously.

Still, for the series, for me:

Best:

1) Arya

2) Jon

3) Tyrion

4) Davos

5) Dany

Worst:

1) Aeron Greyjoy

2) Aerys Oakheart

3) Victarion Greyjoy

4) Areo Hotah

5) Quentyn Martell

Oh boy, this varies greatly for me since favs/dislikes have shifted.

From AGOT to ASOS ->

Best:

-Arya

-Dany

-Bran

-Sansa

-Tyrion

-Honourable mentions are Eddard and Catelyn.

Worst (Well, I wouldn't say worst at this point. More The-chapters-that-didn't-put-me-at-the-edge-of-my-seat-compared-to-the-others-or-didn't-entirely-intrigued-me-in-general):

-Theon. Moreso because he was acting like a selfish unbright manwhore for the good first set of his chapters.

From AFFC to ADWD ->

Best:

-"Reek" Theon.

-Sansa AKA Alayne

-Selmy

-Jaime

-Davos

Worst:

-Dany. ARRGH. There are so many things I want to say about her chapters.

-Tyrion. He has become a bit more jerkish and whiney. The wit even seems to be repetitive and old. I suppose I can understand why, after being accused of murder then killing kin, but still.

-Arya. Her earlier chapters were quite intense. Unfortuntely, now the constant descriptions of Braavos and long detailed training is getting a bit on the dull side.

-Bran. So sorry. Just like Arya, his earlier chapters were intense, but now that he has reached that special destination, it's getting dull.

-Brienne. Mainly because a good hunk of those chapters were nothing but mindless descriptions at inns or lanscapes or people...even though I do like her as a person. That one scene with Mr Munchface was really crazy though.

-Honourable mentions are Arianne and Victarion.

Undecided/Medium:

- Samwell Tarly. They are either really shocking/interesting or really dull throughout the series. So I'll be neutral on this one.

- Asha Greyjoy. Early chapters weren't really that special, but the later ones got more intriguing

- Cersei. Again, earlier chapters weren't special, but later ones became more intriguing.

- Jon. And once more, depending on the chapter it's a hit or miss for me.

Best

1. place - Arya/Sansa tie

Then in no particular order: Davos, Jamie, Tyrion (apart from some chapters in ADWD) and Cersei (I find her bitchiness, paranoia and utter incompetence fun to read about)

Honorary mention goes out to Reek in ADWD.

In between....

Jon - most of his chapters are good but I was kind of bored when he was with the wildlings.

Brienne - Her travel was way too long and uneventful for most parts in AFFC.

Bran

Catelyn

Eddard

Dany... I don't know... she's just so removed from the rest of the story. I usually don't find her chapters boring though.

Worst

I don't care about the Greyjoys (apart from Theon, and Asha's chapters were tolerable in ADWD because she was with Stannis...) and Dorne and therefore chapters about them bore me to tears...

Favorites:

1. Arya
  2. Jaime
  3. Theon/Reek
  4. Sansa
  5. Jon

No Thanks:

1. Bran, whom I spent the entire first four books referring to as the Bran Muffin. Dry and dull as dust.
  2. Damphair
  3. Catelyn
  4. Dany
  5. Aeron Greyjoy

The last book shook things up for me, but Bran still has a long way to dig himself out of the hole he got into and back into my good graces before I consider him interesting.

Archived