Great Book, Lousy Movie and Vice Versa

Baitac

Give them time. They'll remake Blade Runner too. And if the quality of todays crop of remakes are any indication, it'll stink. The only way to do it right, is to do a straight adaptation of the book. It would really be a completely different film, given how loose the adaptation was in the first place.

One remake that got it right was True Grit. It's actually better than the original, John Wayne's performance notwithstanding. Why? Because it was more true to the Portis novel.

Not that being faithful always works. Pet Semetary is actually quite a faithful adaptation, and it still stinks.

There's plenty of good remakes out there (The Fly, The Thing, The Departed, A Fistful of Dollars, the Seven Mercenaries....). Remakes are not a bad thing in and of themselves, nor are they a recent phenomenon. They come and go and we only remember the best of either movie. Sometimes it's the remake (The Thing) sometimes it's the original (Psycho, wtf was Van Sant thinking), sometimes it's both (Seven Samurai/Mercenaries).

I actually tend to think remakes are a good thing in general because they might allow younger generations to discover movies they wouldn't have the curiosity or opportunity to find out about on their own.

When I was younger, I saw the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake. The fact that it was horrible made me want to see the original movie even more and I loved it. So while the remake itself was shitty, I'm grateful it was made because I don't know if I ever would've seen the original had I not seen the remake.

The Carrie remake is probably going to be really shitty, but if it makes even only one person want to see the De Palma movie, then it's a good thing.

There's plenty of good remakes out there (The Fly, The Thing, The Departed, A Fistful of Dollars, the Seven Mercenaries....). Remakes are not a bad thing in and of themselves, nor are they a recent phenomenon. They come and go and we only remember the best of either movie. Sometimes it's the remake (The Thing) sometimes it's the original (Psycho, wtf was Van Sant thinking), sometimes it's both (Seven Samurai/Mercenaries).

I actually tend to think remakes are a good thing in general because they might allow younger generations to discover movies they wouldn't have the curiosity or opportunity to find out about on their own.

When I was younger, I saw the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake. The fact that it was horrible made me want to see the original movie even more and I loved it. So while the remake itself was shitty, I'm grateful it was made because I don't know if I ever would've seen the original had I not seen the remake.

The Carrie remake is probably going to be really shitty, but if it makes even only one person want to see the De Palma movie, then it's a good thing.

True, there are some great remakes but I was speaking more about the current trend, most of which are pretty bad. True Grit being a major exception.

Well after watching the movie Drive again and loving it like every time I see it..I decided to buy the novel by James Sallis! Just bought it from Amazon for 5 bucks...can't beat that! I look forward to reading it!

As a bit of a change of pace, how about flipping back through the popular Hollywood film magazines of the past and discussing classic science fiction films that have since been remade today?

Harry Bates very pulpy (and by today's literary science fiction standards, rather poor) novella "Farewell to the Master" became the beloved 1951 Patricia Neal and Michael Rennie classic "The Day the Earth Stood Still." It gave us one cool and collected alien and the first really convincing screen robot of The Atomic Age. And a film score by master composer Bernard Hermann that stills sends chills up spines.

Then, we flash forward to several years ago...and Keanuu Reeves (shaking head) and company starring in that...that completely unnecessary, wrong-headed, and oh-so-self-conscious-and-relavant remake (tapping foot impatiently)...of the same name.

Let me count the ways at just how much *I hate/loathe/despise* this remake: It made my teeth itch. I'd rather be forced to read Harry Bates novella once again (where the robot Gnut--not Gort!--is revealed as the real bossman) than to once again sit through a single minute of this annoying remake.

Summation: An unconvincing, dated pulp novella later made as a terrific Hollywood movie...then it's eventually remade again (*sigh*) as a (fill-in the description using your own colorful language, please).

"Klaatu Berada Nicto!"

• 2 weeks later...

I'll throw in Don Quijote. The musical and movie that were based on it were wonderful, truly, but they had very, very little to do with the novel. I was lucky enough to see Richard Kiley on stage playing the role of Don Q. Holy cow. So amazing. He brought me to tears.

• 1 month later...

I'm bumping this to add the movie "Munich". It was based on George Jonas' "Vengeance: The True Story of an Israeli Counter-terrorist Team". Both the movie and the book were excellent, even if the movie is, by necessity a redux version. What made me think about this movie was watching Argo. I haven't read any of the books related to the incident depicted in the movie, but I thought the movie was good. However, It isn't at the level of Munich, in my opinion.

I love the Iliad but the movie Troy from about ten years ago was pretty bad. It didn't work for me as an adaption or just as a swords and sandals type movie.

If you want, I think there is a several page discussion hidden somewhere in this thread about this. I have started reading some of the Illiad and it is much more accessible than I thought it would be.

I love the Iliad but the movie Troy from about ten years ago was pretty bad. It didn't work for me as an adaption or just as a swords and sandals type movie.

If you've only seen the theatrical version, it does stink. Extended cut is the way to go. Much better. Much the same way that the extended cut of Kingdom of Heaven was better. I can understand the "realist" approach. but I still wish they hadn't cut out the Gods.

Archived