Most hated characters?

FacelessDude

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I usually try to understand people's motivations and their POVs, so I sometimes like characters others despise (like f.e. the Malfoys, or Theon) and I like to imagine shit that fucked them so bad in past that they ended up the way they did (f.e. me liking Sandor). I also can appreciate pragmatic people skilled and enjoying the Game, so i'll never get people hating on Littlefinger or Varys, they're awesome! With that being said:

1. the Freys, lord Walder Frey most of them. For obvious reasons.

2. Joffrey. He could have everything, and had no reason to grow up in effing prick he did.

3. Janos Slynt and Allister Thorne, cause I just can't stand stuck up arrogant people who don't have the wit or skill to their egos, to actually be proud about.

4. Gregor Clegane. Brutal a-hole who has real pleasure from torturing others. Strong dislike.

Than there is fair amount of people I don't hate for their personalities, but who drive me crazy with their actions.

CATELYN! For no reason in particular, she made me mad throughout all her POVs, and she topped it with releasing Jaime.

NED Stark. At first he's this big great honorable Daddy (plus he looks like Boromir), but all his honor soon made me roll my eyes. One thing is being honorable, the other is being dumb as windshield wipers on a submarine. Really, did he just expect Cersei to leave the KL quietly?? He brought all this upon himself and raised his kids to be accordingly blindly honorable. Dislike.

I agree with people wanting to slap DANY. I just don't like people who expect to be treated like their all covered up in diamonds, poop gold and overall are the 8th Wonder of the world. I don't hate her though, I acknowledge importance of her storyline and I LOVE the dragons.

The others like Shae or Roose... well they just act the way you can expect from them. I can't hate them for being pragmatic and just who they are.

Edited for forgetting ser Gregor. (Yeah, I don't know how that happened either.)

I agree with people wanting to slap DANY. I just don't like people who expect to be treated like their all covered up in diamonds, poop gold and overall are the 8th Wonder of the world. I don't hate her though, I acknowledge importance of her storyline and I LOVE the dragons.

There is so much Dany hate on this board it is ridiculous. I feel like even if you think her actions are frustrating and/or don't like her character's "voice" (these are the most common [reasonable] complaints I hear of her) her storyline is obviously one of the most important to the fate of Westeros, and her dragons brought magic into the story. How come more people don't appreciate that?

My problem with choosing 'most hated characters' is that their role in the story influences me big time. For example whenever I see a Bran (who is a really friendly and smart dude) chapter I feel like crying, because I just don't care about kids wandering in the wilderness, while every time Roose Bolton (who is a horrible person) is mentioned I'm excited, because it means a really entertaining plot twist is coming.

Anyway, considering both their role in the story and their personality these are my most hated characters:

1. Sansa: She is pretty, but she is really shallow, dumb and passive. Over the first three books I couldn't find one thing to like about her. Her POVs are terrible, I just don't care about lemon pies. I hate her head and shoulders above anyone else.

2. Joffrey: He is handsome, but he is really shallow, dumb and aggressive. Too bad Sansa wasn't married off to him... Two reasons he isn't No. 1: at least he does something unlike Sansa and he has no POV chapters.

3. Lysa Arryn: First she behaves like and idiot when Catelyn brings her Tyrion, than just sits in her fortress and does nothing while Westeros is in flames. Booooring!

I'd say, irrespective of plots and not in any particular order:

1. Joffrey

Need I explain? He's just a vile brat, and it wasn't helped by Cersei coddling him. He's very arrogant and self-obsessed, but whenever someone says what he is (i.e. something you step in and then proceed to try and wipe off on the grass) he runs back to mummy with his tail firmly between his legs.

2. Daenerys

Sure, the dragons might be important, but she's so absolutely sodding clueless that it's hard to have any sympathy for her whatsoever.

3. Lysa Arryn

Arrogant, selfish, blind. It's tempered a bit by her obviously being ill, but she is not a pleasant character in the slightest.

4. Petyr Baelish

He's basically the stereotypical creepy uncle.

Well, by taking Tyrion captive, she started the entire chain of events that led to Ned's death and the War. While of course she couldn't see the future, she had to know there would be some pretty harsh consequences. And she does it based on no evidence except the word of a guy she hasn't seen in 20 years.

I always thought it was because Cersei fucked her brother.

Quite tricky, really - as the saga is filled with pretty repulsive characters, such as the Bloody Mummers or practically all Iron men or Roose Bolton and the Freys - or several characters in Essos. Or pitiful weak bullies like Joffrey and Viserys. Or even evil characters playing the Game - Cercei, Tywin, Petyr Bayliss. But they are the stuff the story is made of.

I don't know about hate, but some seemingly good and righteous characters get on my nerves - mostly because they seem to be staged as good guys. Foremost, alas, Catelyn Tully - she keeps thinking herself wise and calm, but sets most of the disaster and wars in motion by her rash actions. She also considers herself so civilizend and well-mannered, even if her arrogance shines through her every action.

And if you think Dany is annoiying, how come not Sansa Stark - I grind my teeth at her inability to defend herself. Her POVs are boring to extreme, or, miserable.

And I dislike Stannis, who is NOT just but resentful and cruel.

And yes, Eddard Stark sparks jut a tiny impatience in me as well... I like him but I could kick him for being so naive most of the time.

Putting mine behind a spoiler thing as I (vaguely) refer to things that happen later.

I am one of those rare Catelyn fans. She seemed real to me. She loved her children and did everything she could to protect them in times of great, great danger. Her release of Jaime was a judgement call - and it was the right one. Even she could not have foreseen what would happen down the road. If you compare her to the other Matriarch of the series, she is a far more likeable character. But then, I do not like Jon.

My most hated:

1. The Biter (for something yet to come)

2. Gregor Clegane (for everything)

3. Cersei (for fucking with Jaime's head)

4. Walder Frey (Red Wedding)

5. I want to say the Boltons, but there's something cunning about them that I like... So I will say Dany, for persistently insisting upon existing.

I am one of those rare Catelyn fans. She seemed real to me. She loved her children and did everything she could to protect them in times of great, great danger. Her release of Jaime was a judgement call - and it was the right one. Even she could not have foreseen what would happen down the road.

Catelyn is probably one of the most divisive characters in the books. She has some really hardcore fans, but most people hate her with passion. I'm torn between the two.

I like the fact that her actions drastically influence the story. Arresting Tyrion, setting up the first deal between Robb and the Freys, releasing Jamie, etc. All of these were really important events in the story and she has a major role in them.

Now the reason why I couldn't become a fan of her is her character. I don't find her realistic at all.

On page 10 she is wise, giving Robb great advice in warfare. On page 12 she becomes a complete idiot and releases their most valuable prisoner for some empty promise from their enemy. On page 16 she becomes wise again and gives Robb great advice in ruling his kingdom. And so on and on... And it's the same in being a mother. She takes care of Robb really well, but only after she left her cripple and 4 years old son in Winterfell to play Columbo in King's Landing.

It's almost like she has multiple personality disorder. There is a rash, dumb, bumbling Catelyn and than there is the smart, patient, clever Catelyn. Everyone makes mistakes or has moments of brilliance, but it is usually consistent with their character. Ned lived and died with his honor. Stannis with his inflexibility. Tyrion with his smartness.

Catelyn is a mixture of conflicting character traits, which makes her a menace to everyone around her...

...and also she is arrogant and cold like ealbiest sad.

But I guess that's so great about these books, no one is black or white! :)

And if you think Dany is annoiying, how come not Sansa Stark - I grind my teeth at her inability to defend herself. Her POVs are boring to extreme, or, miserable.

Well if you come to think about it, most of the fandom considers Sansa a child and Dany a woman, thus being harder on Dany when she shows inexperience or naivety, but the age difference between them isn't so big. Sansa is 11 at the beginning of books, while Dany is bordering 14.

For me, the main difference between them is how they got involved in the Game and the upbringing that formed their nature. Sansa was dragged into it (I'm not gonna say against her will, cause she indeed wanted to marry Joffrey, though it was a reckless first love thing). But she was raised to be a professional wife and after Ned's death, she was left on her own in a situation she's never been in, surrounded by people who went after her family's throat and her own too, no one there she knows, everyone close to her executed, she needed to superquickly adapted to the new situation. Yes, she might seem plain in comparison with her younger sister. But she did manage not to get herself killed and she's getting player-y. I think we can expect big from her.

On the other hand, Dany was raised to think herself special (well, not as special as Viserys, but a blood of dragon after all), believing she has a rightful claim to the throne, knowing how the Game goes (or at least how wrong it can twist). She steped into it willingly. Don't tell me she couldn't just resign on Westeros and happily rule the remains of her Khalasar and some pretty city in the sand. What I dislike about her is, that she prioritizes in a way I can't relate with. And when she surrounds herself with people older, wiser and more experienced than her, why doesn't she listen to them?? And I just have a thing against people who are stubborn and proud into the point that hurt them and people around, if you know what I mean. :)

This is in no order whatsoever

1. Ramsay Snow- All I have to say is that he is a complete psychopath and would be living in a mental institution if he lived nowadays

2. Bowen Marsh- He's ignorant and will always be a lackey

3. Joffrey- Hated him so much, but he's dead now

4. Cersei- I used to hate her, but now I...I... just loathe her

5. Stannis-His complaining about getting Dragonstone, his mindless following of Melisandre, but I kind of feel sorry for him too, because he just wants to be special, LOL.

6. Walder Frey- Nuff said...

7. Gregor Clegane

8. Tywin

9. Randyll Tarly

Archived