Ned Stark vs. Jamie Lannister

Lion of Judah

Ned won't manage to shatter anything. A sharp sword is only a sharp sword, not some vibro-explosive magical weapon of doom. And anyway, Jaime is faster, that's his speciality, he'll likely kill Ned the same way Forel killed those guards. Or how he killed those Kastark boys, come to to that.

Valyrian steel is a mystically forged metal that's not only sharper than your average blade but also stronger and has a better balance. It's not just some 'extra stabby' sword. So I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility for a veteran warrior like Ned to exploit this against Jaime.

Valyrian steel is a mystically forged metal that's not only sharper than your average blade but also stronger and has a better balance. It's not just some 'extra stabby' sword. So I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility for a veteran warrior like Ned to exploit this against Jaime.

No, and when Jon fights ~Rattleshirt~, he thinks the outcome might be different if he were using Longclaw and not some practice longsword (though Jon is also regretting the lack of Longclaw's reach). Having a better, stronger, sharper, lighter sword is always going to be an advantage. I still don't think that's enough to put Ned over Jaime as they are described in the books.

I would be cheering with all my heart for Ned, but I am certain Jaime would win.

How is this a question? As much as I love Eddard Stark, Jaime would beat him. I know Ned isn't one of the best fighters in the Realm, Ned would put up a fight, but in the end, Jaime would kill him. Jaime was that good. In AGoT, I think there are only a handful of men that could stand against Jaime. The list include Sandor, Barristan, Garlan, Loras, and the Mountain (based off of raw strength).

We know that Jaime doesn't like Ned because of the way that Ned looked at him when Ned rode into the throne room, could this possibly indicate some level of fear or hatred that would give Ned a chance to capitalize on Jaime not being clear headed in the fight?

Ned has killed Arthur Dayne and Gerold Hightower. Jaime has killed an 80 years old madman. Ned is a veteran of 100 battles. Jaime allowed himself to be captured on his first

Jaime smashed the Riverlands army at the Golden Tooth before he got to Riverrun.

Ned has killed Arthur Dayne and Gerold Hightower. Jaime has killed an 80 years old madman. Ned is a veteran of 100 battles. Jaime allowed himself to be captured on his first

1. We don't know what happened of TOJ, in Ned's own words he would have been killed if it weren't for Howland Reed. The battle started out 7 against 3, that certainly improved the odds in Ned's favor, even if it was against KG.

2. Not that it matters, but Aerys wasn't 80.

3. Whispering Wood wasn't Jaime's first battle, he was knighted at 15 on the battlefield by Ser Arthur Dayne. Ned did have more battlefield experience since Aerys wouldn't allow Jaime to leave KL during Robert's Rebellion, but Jaime wasn't without experience (he fought in putting down the Greyjoy rebellion). His mistake a Whispering Wood may say something about his skills as a tactician, but even Robb and his men comment on his his ferocity as a fighter.

The textual evidence points to Jaime being one of the best swordsmen in the seven kingdoms, we can debate how he may have done against Dayne or Selmy in his prime or {insert other bad-ass swordsmen here}, but there really isn't any doubt he would have beat Ned.

Robert, both the Cleganes, Ned, and Oberyn, at the very least.

No No No No and No. Gregor would be much too slow to even touch Jaime as we saw with Oberyn. Sandor is too sloppy in his skill and doesn't have the devistating power that Gregor has, as we see with his fight against Polliver. Robert is swinging a weapon that is much too heavy to hit someone as quick as Jaime, one false move and he's dead. Ned is just a no, even GRRM said that Ned is not an exceptional swordsman like Jaime. And Oberyn's biggest advatage on enemies is his speed which would be neutralized by Jaime.

I just don't see any of those guys having the slightest chance against him. Maybe Garlan would give him a good fight but I still think he dies in the end.

Oberyn Martell would swallow Jamie whole and pick his tooth with his bones

Based on what? His loss to Gregor? That is the only time we've even seen Oberyn fight, I don't even remember hearing about any of Oberyn's battles.

As a teenage boy, Jaime helped stop the Kingswood Brotherhood and even held off the Smiling Knight before Dayne took over and killed him in their epic fight. Jaime killed men right and left in the Whispering Wood even though he was outnumbered and caught off guard. Jaime is widely known as the best sword in the realm, Oberyn isn't even the most deadly in Dorne.

People are underestimating Ned. He is a man who has fought and and emerged victorious from a fight with the sword of the Morning and two of the Kingsguard, some of the best swords in the realm. Even though it was 7 vs 3, we know the 3 swordsmen were likely some of the best if not the best swords at the time. And Ned being humble and honorable as he is would never boast or say something that would smear the honor of a man he perceived as honorable and in his words "the finest knight I ever saw", even if he killed him in one on one combat. So, I think Ned would be more than capable of putting up a fight against Jaime, especially with Ice.

People are underestimating Ned. He is a man who has fought and and emerged victorious from a fight with the sword of the Morning and two of the Kingsguard, some of the best swords in the realm. Even though it was 7 vs 3, we know the 3 swordsmen were likely some of the best if not the best swords at the time. And Ned being humble and honorable as he is would never boast or say something that would smear the honor of a man he perceived as honorable and in his words "the finest knight I ever saw", even if he killed him in one on one combat. So, I think Ned would be more than capable of putting up a fight against Jaime, especially with Ice.

I'm a huge Ned fan, but I would like to actually find out what happened at the TOJ before I start giving out any credit.

Somehow, I can´t picture Ned as the sort of man who would slice someone´s throat from their back(cough). I bet Ned challenged Arthur Dayne to single combat and slew him right there. He didn´t brag about it, but Ned was a total badass.

I can pretty much tell you for certain that this didn't happen. Ned himself said that Dayne would have killed him but he was saved by Howland Reed. We don't know how this happened exactly but he could have used poison, he could have warged him, he could have attacked him from behind, he could have distracted him. All I can tell you for sure is that Ned didn't kill Dayne in single combat or anything close. Ned had a more than 2 to 1 advantage and lost nearly every man and himself. But once again I want to know exactly what happened at the TOJ.

How is this a question? As much as I love Eddard Stark, Jaime would beat him. I know Ned isn't one of the best fighters in the Realm, Ned would put up a fight, but in the end, Jaime would kill him. Jaime was that good. In AGoT, I think there are only a handful of men that could stand against Jaime. The list include Sandor, Barristan, Garlan, Loras, and the Mountain (based off of raw strength).

We know that Jaime doesn't like Ned because of the way that Ned looked at him when Ned rode into the throne room, could this possibly indicate some level of fear or hatred that would give Ned a chance to capitalize on Jaime not being clear headed in the fight?

There isn't the slightest chance that Loras stands against Jaime. I don't think Barristan, the Mountain or the Hound are any threat to him either, he is simply that good and Barristan was too old by that time. Garlan may give him a fight but those others are a no.

Look, just because you think Ned was a great guy, it doesn't mean he has to be the best at everything. That's the kind of thinking that results in Mary Sues and bad fanfic. The books pretty clearly establish that Jaime is a truly legendary swordsman before losing his hand - that's what makes losing his hand such a big deal in the first place. Ned is a better guy than Jaime. A more honorable guy than Jaime. A better commander than Jaime, by all indications. But he's not a better swordsman.

No No No No and No. Gregor would be much too slow to even touch Jaime as we saw with Oberyn. Sandor is too sloppy in his skill and doesn't have the devistating power that Gregor has, as we see with his fight against Polliver. Robert is swinging a weapon that is much too heavy to hit someone as quick as Jaime, one false move and he's dead. Ned is just a no, even GRRM said that Ned is not an exceptional swordsman like Jaime. And Oberyn's biggest advatage on enemies is his speed which would be neutralized by Jaime.

I just don't see any of those guys having the slightest chance against him. Maybe Garlan would give him a good fight but I still think he dies in the end.

I would like to point out that Sandor was incredibly drunk during that fight. We see a sober Sandor easily take on Gregor in AGoT. In ACoK, Sandor is a force during the the defense of KL (until there is too much fire). He has no fear of the other members of the KG. He is very big, very strong, and very skilled. I still think that going by GRRM statements that Jaime was the best, Sandor presents Jaime's greatest challenge.

Robert is a lot bigger and a lot stronger than Jaime. His gigantic warhammer seemed to be lifted effortlessly by Robert, and he wears plate, and Jaime uses a sword. A Robert during the rebellion would have provided a very difficult challenge for Jaime, probably one that he would not be able to overcome.

There isn't the slightest chance that Loras stands against Jaime. I don't think Barristan, the Mountain or the Hound are any threat to him either, he is simply that good and Barristan was too old by that time. Garlan may give him a fight but those others are a no.

On second thought, I do think that Loras may have been a reach, The only reason I put Gregor in there is his pure size and strength. His super armor will make it very difficult and time consuming for Jaime to kill, which will give the Mountain a puncher's chance.

I gave my reasons above, for why I think Sandor and Robert have the best chance for beating Jaime, granted I can only vouch for a young Robert.

There is only one way that I can see Barristan beating Jaime (at this point in time), and that is Jaime underestimates Jaime, due to Barristan's advanced age. If Jaime is able to not overestimate Barristan, than he probably easily beats Barristan. Garlan shows promise, but ultimately like you said Jaime would win that one.

At least we can agree that Ned has zero chance to stand against Jaime, although I don't think Jaime wins in a landslide.

I'm a huge Ned fan, but I would like to actually find out what happened at the TOJ before I start giving out any credit.

The very fact that he came out of that fight alive is a testament to his skill.

It is a testament that Ned has some skill, but Ned is still not in Jaime's league. Ned would die against Jaime. As I've said before, Ned won't make it easy for Jaime, but at the end Jaime would stand victorious.

Archived