Characters you changed your mind about after finishing ASOS...

PetyrPunkinhead

As with most, I hated Jaime in the AGoT and ACoK. He was one of my least favourite characters but now I love him, purely down to his PoV and the changes he is having to go through.

Sansa. Thought she was just a silly and stupid girl but in ASoS it is clear there is a lot more to her and she has had to make some difficult decisions and deal with a lot.

Cersei. I can't put my finger on why but I warmed to her a lot in ASoS. I think I just sympathised with her a lot. She really does love her children unconditionally!

Bran. Really enjoyed his chapters in the first 2 books but now I have gone off him a bit. Im sure I will love him again later but at the moment it is like he is just plodding along completely oblivious to what is happening in the world around him.

Shae. Was silly to think that she was for real with Tyrion. Of course she probably had no choice with Tywin and in the trial but still...

Littlefinger. Couldnt stand his manipulation in AGoT (probs because of betraying Ned... although he did warn him!) but I think he is an incredible character now, especially after learning how integral he was in sparking off everything. I wouldnt say I like him as a guy but he is the smartest guy in the series and for he he is probably the most important character at the moment. Think he will have a huge downfall at some point which im looking forward to!

Tyrion. He was one of my faves in the first 2 books but for some reason he lost some of his charm to me in this book. Massively redeemed himself at the end though!

Walder Frey. Thought he was just a hard but ultimately harmless little toad. Turns out I was wrong...

Stannis. Never really enjoyed his chapters or his character but im slowly warming to him.

Kevan Lannister. Warmed to him for some reason.

Always loved: Arya, Jon, The Hound, Greatjon, Samwell, Ygritte, the whole Brotherhood Without Banners, Maester Aemon, Gendry

Always hated: Joffrey, Janos Slynt, Roose Bolton, Gregor Clegane, Alliser Thorne

When I started this post I only meant to write 2 or 3. oops!

• 3 weeks later...

Jon definitely. Jon seemed, to me, to have been set-up as one of the heroes of the series from the beginning; maybe b/c I started with the TV show and how he was portrayed in it. However, I just really didn't care all that much about him the first two seasons and two books - other than being mildly interested in finding out his parentage. But he really grew on me in this book - the growth of his character and his relationship with Y'Gritte. I literally got choked up when she died in his arms. I am now full on cheering for him.

I'm also starting to like Stannis. I wasn't sure about him, at first, I just thought he was boring but he's slowly growing on me.

Also Arya. I still love her and am heartbroken for her, but she also has made some completely self-serving and selfish decisions (tricking Hot Pie and Gendry into leaving with her and killing that guard in cold-blood) in this book, though I can be more forgiving of her b/c she is so young and scared. However, it sort of flows with the way her relatives have behaved. Maybe that's a Tully trait???

I hated Jon chapters until ASOS. Not sure why...he just bugged me, and the nights watch didn't interest me at all.

Also Arya and Gendry (not as a couple >.< lol) But I really got into her story when they were at the INN and he compliments her dress, it was nice chapter before things went bad.

Also Arya. I still love her and am heartbroken for her, but she also has made some completely self-serving and selfish decisions (tricking Hot Pie and Gendry into leaving with her and killing that guard in cold-blood) in this book, though I can be more forgiving of her b/c she is so young and scared. However, it sort of flows with the way her relatives have behaved. Maybe that's a Tully trait???

Oh snap! I never thought about Arya in that light. I'm generally moving forward w/ blinders on in the Arya chapters--she can do only awesomeness in my eyes. However, you may have a point there.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree that Jaime surpirsed me the most and I really started to like him. I remember him saying that he killed some crossbowmen in the Inn of the Kneeling Man. I had to laugh so loud. In this moment he had me completely.

I started to like Stannis since he became a litte bit strange in the second book.

The Hound was also a surprise to me, especially in the last Arya chapter I found myself really liking him. To that point he was some really suspicious and strange guy to me which I never really liked.

Melissandre starts to get on my nerves more the more i read about her. I truly hate her since the Prologue of aCoK. It would be such a pleasure to see her fail.

Brienne, Melisandre and Ygritte became favorites of mine after ASOS. Their appearances in ACOK didn't move me at all, but after they turned more relevant I started liking them alot.

Character I disliked more...Dunno. I guess I didn't like how Dany thought of the freed people as her "children", but I think that's just a personal grip...Since the people themselves call her "mother" and all.

Dany -> became interesting

Sansa -> started to like her

Jaime -> just brilliant development from being super-flat to complex and envolving

Stannis -> grew to like him

Catelyn -> praise the lord she's over with! Her chapters were so BOOOOOORING (Duty-Family-Honor really sucked after a while)

Tyrion -> went from good to better to awesome

Jon -> lost my desinterest for his doings. I kinda like him now

Samwell -> With every chapter of his that passes I like him less ... I think he's designed to hate himself and to anger me personally (I haaaate people who keep on whining about themselves without changing)

Yeah, I love Arya but it bothers me a bit that she is starting to get a little psycho... I mean as you say it probably is because Ned was so honorable and all "killing should never be easy". Still we should cut her some slack, she is like 12 years old and has lived through some tough stuff.

The Hound was also a surprise to me, especially in the last Arya chapter I found myself really liking him. To that point he was some really suspicious and strange guy to me which I never really liked.

I started to kinda like the Hound too... I mean not in a "he's a good person" kind of way, but I tend to be fascinated by characters I don't completely understand. I just wish we got to know a little more about what was going on in his head.

Of course I have to mention Jamie too, I basically hated him and know he's one of my fav characters. It really amazes me the way GRRM works with character evolution, talking advantage of the whole POV thing.

I'm also not sure about Melissandre... I'll just have to get to know her a little bit more before deciding how I feel about her.

Although I always enjoyed reading Sansa's chapters, I used to like her less and less as I read the first book; in ACoK I "understood" her a little bit more and now I almost like her.

I can't leave Littlefinger out... he blew me away at the end.

• 2 weeks later...

I really liked Shae at first but I think that's because I watched the TV seriees first, where the character seems really genuine and likeable, whereas in the books, you can kind of tell she's just a whore (constantly asking him to f**k her etc so she can just get it over and done with). I can see the logic in people's reasoning to say she was probably forced HOWEVER there was no need for her to bring up the giant of lannister thing to humiliate him. This single act makes her a complete c**t in my book.

Jaimie - I can't explain what happened to him except some kind of literary wizardy. Seeing things from his POV has definitely changed my opinion. I'll probably do a lot more thinking about 'bad guys' intentions from now on in everything I read.

Catelyn -

Not being able to speak is a massive improvement. I'm just hoping we also won't have to read her depressing thoughts about Ned anymore as well.

Stannis - I still don't really have an opinion on him, but I'm definitely more interested than I was....

• 2 weeks later...

Dany in books 1 and 2: a bit annoying but her story rocks.

Dany in rest of series: SO ANNOYING, KILL HER, MAKE THE BOREDOM STOP!

Haha, this.

Also, I could see Jon breaking out of the "generic fantasy hero" mold, and that's exciting. I think the guile that he develops in this leg of the series is going to be no less important than his swordsmanship in the end.

Samwell. I never thought I'd ever warm to that big craven who wets himself whenever he talks to Mormont but I really like him and many of his chapters have been fantastic reads and very insightful. His dad is a complete tosser, though, he's just awfully cruel to his eldest son and rightful heir.

I actually liked Jaime before ASOS; the conversation in Riverrun with Cat was great and made me see him in a completely different light, which his subsequent chapters in book 3 only continously reinforced.

• 2 weeks later...

Samwel Tarly. I am only about half way through asos. I did not like him at all at first- he wasn't boring, just pathetic- but after the retreat from the fist, his insight about 'dragonglass' combined with his use of it makes me delight in the evolution of this character.

Sam is the fat virgin neck bearded character we can relate too. In a way he reminds me of Bilbo, thrust out of his comfortable home and life into a dangerous place with dangerous strangers, and before you know it he's killing monsters and chillin with single mothers.

I really liked Shae at first but I think that's because I watched the TV seriees first, where the character seems really genuine and likeable, whereas in the books, you can kind of tell she's just a whore (constantly asking him to f**k her etc so she can just get it over and done with). I can see the logic in people's reasoning to say she was probably forced HOWEVER there was no need for her to bring up the giant of lannister thing to humiliate him. This single act makes her a complete c**t in my book.

Jaimie - I can't explain what happened to him except some kind of literary wizardy. Seeing things from his POV has definitely changed my opinion. I'll probably do a lot more thinking about 'bad guys' intentions from now on in everything I read.

Catelyn -

Not being able to speak is a massive improvement. I'm just hoping we also won't have to read her depressing thoughts about Ned anymore as well.

Stannis - I still don't really have an opinion on him, but I'm definitely more interested than I was....

I agree with all points.

though I think Cat is going to be more annoying. From what I gather she was raised from the dead and turns all goth. But her throat is still cut open so she can't speak

And Shae is a good one, too. I was shocked and kind of not about what she did to Tyrion. There's a part of me, and I'm sure of Tyrion, that knew her true nature yet deep down hoped she'd rather die than betray Tyrion. Obviously she stayed true to her nature--it's kind of hard for me to hate someone for that though.

Tyrion was constantly reminding himself that she's just a whore, but he caught feelings for her so it blinded him. If anything it showed her true nature. She does it for the money. Now if he wasn't paying her for the sex I'd think differently.

Archived