Is Dany actually the ANTAGONIST?

Ribupr

Dany will not be the antagonist. I am quite confident of that. She simply doesn't have the evil heart that would almost always be required for that. I also think Selmy has seen and learned much during his years in the King's Guard. I just can't see him backing somebody he thinks would go down a bad road. One has to assume he has learned a lot since his service to Aerys. The mistakes she has made have not been made out of evil intent. That is a very important fact in this.

Dany II - ADWD (last paragraph)

Mother of dragons, Daenerys thought. Mother of monsters. What have I unleashed upon the world? A queen I am, but my throne is made of burned bones, and it rests on quicksand. Without dragons, how could she hope to hold Meereen, much less win back Westeros? I am the blood of the dragon, she thought. IF THEY ARE MONSTERS, SO AM I.

This does nothing but show she has a conscience. It's pretty normal for teens to feel a little uncertain at times.

Because he had just threaten to murder her and her unborn child. It's not exactly a sign of good to approve of that man dying (or evil).

He can say the words. Dany may hear them. The question is, will she listen? Only Dany can make that decision. So far, she has chosen not to. It's not only the act of physically hearing the sounds. It's also the act of being willing to accept what those words mean and the consequences of them.

Dany was nearing her breaking point with Viserys well before he threatened her baby. She will listen because she won't have a choice. Barriston won't press the issue because he is an old yes man, that is all that he knows how to do, obey orders. Old Jorah was too busy trying to get between her legs than making her listen to him. Neither one of them have EVER come out and said, your father slow cooked Ned Stark's father to death in his armour, while his son strangled himself trying to save him, as well as,Jorah being pissed that Ned was out for his head because he sold to slavers and failed to go to the wall which was his sentence. Or, your brother abducted the woman who was betrothed to the "Usurper" and your father called for his and Ned's head AFTER he murdered Ned's family.

A total unknown in Dany's story arc is how her time in the wilderness with Drogon may have changed her. Until we see how she behaves when she returns to Mereen it's nothing but speculation which way she will go. My guess is she will make the Dany haters look pretty bad.

Fair enough. My guess is that eventually people will look back and wonder how they could ever have defended her. :)

Archived