Cracking the Sparrows pot/nest

Minstral

So we see the High Sparrow go about trying to curtail the corruption of the Lannister court and ignite a new feeling of pietey in the new regime ("You are subject to the gods/me and the Faith"). It would be understandable considering how much of a failure their rule of the Kingdom has been, war and famine. The corruption needs to be curtailed and lords seem out of touch with their gods so in his mind the Sparrow has a right to be disgusted. But is there another motivating factor that he decided to take up the cause of wiping the realm clean of lion dung?

Time for unfounded theories:

So Cersei's walk is very similar to what Tywin did to his fathers mistress. The fact that it is inflicted on his daughter seems to be a deliberate insult to the Lannister "legacy". Main perpetrators are the Tyrells and the Faith, and the Tyrells are upset at her for a good reason (maiming of one son and false charges against another while sabotaging the war effort in the Reach), but what if the High Sparrow has a reason to be upset with Cersei and perhaps Tywin himself.

What is the reason for his strong piety? Perhaps he was not always pious, but some drunken fool that married a dwarf and girl. Yes this is me taking a sledgehammer to the pot. Perhaps this man is the one who conducted the marriage of Tyrion and Tysha. Tyrion mentions that when his father found out about the ceremony he found the Septon, a terrified drunken man, and made him announce the ceremony as a false one. Perhaps this Septon heard what happened to the girl and would regret his part of in Tysha's rape, and would try to become more devout. He then later became the man we call the High Sparrow.

Keep in mind that I am not even half serious with this, but is a little fun theory when considering how Tyrion might be absolved of his crimes.

There's no proof of this, but it is possible. I like it and think it would give a good reason for this new High Sparrow to give as much trouble to House Lannister as he does. Although, he could just really believe in everything he's doing piously.

Also, Tywin was dead before the newest High Septon/Sparrow was anointed so you can't say that Tywin would have recognized him.

No proof at all but I'm running with it! :thumbsup:

Guys, this was a traditional power play. If I can make a Queen Regent walk apenance walk naked in front of millions, what do you think I can do to you? There`s a good reason why relligion was always dangerous tool in history. This is the man who established his army that is growing every day, this is a man who wants to rule and he`ll destroy all those that oppose him. Why do you think he doesn`t insist on Cersei`s incestual relationship with Jaime and the fact Tommen might not be the King? Because, if Tommen isn`t the King, Stannis is. And who is dangling around Stannis? On the other hand, he has a Targaryen pretender. Boy of the House that utterly ruled Westeros forming their own laws, proclaiming they are above Gods. For High Sparrow, Aegon is as dangerous as Stannis, not to mention what would he think of Jon, union of Valyria and North? He will maybe judge Cersei, but trust me, no greater harm will fall upon her. After all, the stakes are high. And Cersei has a son, who is the key so Faith could regain its former power.

Guys, this was a traditional power play. If I can make a Queen Regent walk apenance walk naked in front of millions, what do you think I can do to you? There`s a good reason why relligion was always dangerous tool in history. This is the man who established his army that is growing every day, this is a man who wants to rule and he`ll destroy all those that oppose him. Why do you think he doesn`t insist on Cersei`s incestual relationship with Jaime and the fact Tommen might not be the King? Because, if Tommen isn`t the King, Stannis is. And who is dangling around Stannis? On the other hand, he has a Targaryen pretender. Boy of the House that utterly ruled Westeros forming their own laws, proclaiming they are above Gods. For High Sparrow, Aegon is as dangerous as Stannis, not to mention what would he think of Jon, union of Valyria and North? He will maybe judge Cersei, but trust me, no greater harm will fall upon her. After all, the stakes are high. And Cersei has a son, who is the key so Faith could regain its former power.

You have probably hit the nail on the head, this is a man that is flexing his political muscle and he seems to be ripped. Still, until we find about his origins it would be kind of cool to theorize on what drove him in this direction. We may be looking though a forest for an answer that's on another continent, but there have been worse theories in my mind.

You have probably hit the nail on the head, this is a man that is flexing his political muscle and he seems to be ripped. Still, until we find about his origins it would be kind of cool to theorize on what drove him in this direction. We may be looking though a forest for an answer that's on another continent, but there have been worse theories in my mind.

This wasn`t personal, this wasn`t about justice, this was just to show everyone who`s the new boss in town, and to go under people`s skin who hate Lannisters. And considering that Cersei`s walk of shame was a charade, I doubt he is all that relligious he proclaims to be.

While I love the idea that this septon has personal issues to resolve and this is a fun theory, Mladen nailed the WHY keep Lanister. On the other hand, I think Gregor Clegane is behind the fervor of the faith--he burned septs, raped the silent sisters--he behaved abhorently and the House Lanister DOES need a lesson that they can't just ignore the faith like that. And luckily for him, Cersei's egotism and paranoia have played perfectly into his hands.

Archived