Nights Watch: Logistics

Jon makes a mention of some of the Black brothers going to Moles Town for prostitutes. Do the Nights Watch get paid? do they receive a paycheck?

If they do get paid, how does the Nights Watch sustain itself, with gold and the like. It has to have an income, else it could never provide food for 1000 black brothers. I vaguely remember a chapter in which Jon discussed it with an Iron Banker, but I am unsure as to his mentioning of Nights Watch monetary supplements, I know they settle the gift - Im assuming that taxes pay their way, but I doubt they have enough towns between the gift and the wall to support 1000 standing men on a guards wage.

Jon makes a mention of some of the Black brothers going to Moles Town for prostitutes. Do the Nights Watch get paid? do they receive a paycheck?

If they do get paid, how does the Nights Watch sustain itself, with gold and the like. It has to have an income, else it could never provide food for 1000 black brothers. I vaguely remember a chapter in which Jon discussed it with an Iron Banker, but I am unsure as to his mentioning of Nights Watch monetary supplements, I know they settle the gift - Im assuming that taxes pay their way, but I doubt they have enough towns between the gift and the wall to support 1000 standing men on a guards wage.

they get incomes in the form of tax from whoever lives in the gift. Mole town people probably pay the Black brothers a tax as well.

The Gift could support 10,000 men with ease three centuries ago. Who, by the way, were way more expensive even on a per person base thanks to all the knights and nobles.

The Gift is larger than quite a couple of Northern lordships.

And no, the NW isn't exactly "paid". They have supplies, there is the odd coin here and there, but in my opinion, it's mostly bartering. A side of beef for a a night with half the brothel? Sounds legit.

The Gift could support 10,000 men with ease three centuries ago. Who, by the way, were way more expensive even on a per person base thanks to all the knights and nobles.

The Gift is larger than quite a couple of Northern lordships.

And no, the NW isn't exactly "paid". They have supplies, there is the odd coin here and there, but in my opinion, it's mostly bartering. A side of beef for a a night with half the brothel? Sounds legit.

That's how I interpreted it — barter system.

But how many people are realisticaly settled on the gift, we hear it is always a problem and that they in turn wanted to settle it with wildlings so it can not be that many. That eaves the few nights watch stewards to farm the land and feed the watch. How much of there man power is spent on feeding the watch in terms of hunting and farming and such because i beleive they do mention steward farmers.

But how many people are realisticaly settled on the gift, we hear it is always a problem and that they in turn wanted to settle it with wildlings so it can not be that many. That eaves the few nights watch stewards to farm the land and feed the watch. How much of there man power is spent on feeding the watch in terms of hunting and farming and such because i beleive they do mention steward farmers.

Enough. While population dwindled during the last few centuries, so did the NW. Now, the reinforced NW on the other hand...

I was thinking that the Night's Watch was to some degree supplied by the lords of Westeros; surely not enough people live on the Gift and New Gift to feed a permanent non-farming force hundreds strong.

I think it's made pretty clear that the brothers of the Nights Watch don't just sit around with thumbs up their asses while waiting for ranging/guard duty. There is always work to be done. No doubt when the NW was larger, that involved farming as well.

Archived