Eunuchs "god"

WidoW101MakeR

Greyworm says "This one and this brothers beg leave to bathe in the salt sea when our work her is done, that we may be purified according to the

Laws of our great goddess"

Who is this god the Unsullied worship?

Could this be the voice Varys heard that night he was sold?

It might be. It's said that the goddess can only be spoken of to those who burn their manhoods upon some kind of altar in ADWD, right? I'm not sure if the patron of Unsullied is the demonic presence that Varys described, but it is definitely an interesting parallel that I didn't pick up on before!

I don't think there is any connection. Varys encounters blood magic, what Greyworm describes sounds more like something that the Unsullied came up with to try to help them cope with the hellish treatment they have survived.

I think it's meant to be known to them and only them, Grey Worm is hesitant to talk to Daenerys about it. So unless there is ever an Unsullied Epilogue or Prologue POV (because GRRM has said he won't introduce any more new POVs) then I doubt we'll ever find out more.

A "Great Goddess" is a very natural thing to invent for a group of boys (later men) who have never had a real mother figure.

I don't think she's particularly real though, any more than the other gods - there's clearly magic, sometimes attributed to gods by their priests, but actual gods are still not proven real in ASOIAF.

I always assumed the Slavers made her up to help keep the Unsullied in check through fear of divine retribution.

No I believe it was created by the Unsullied, probably older members came up with it to try and help younger recruits cope, like Mikkel says.

Archived