The Starks might keep the Old Gods.....

Morienthar

But they are themselves aspects of the 7.

I was re-reading ACoK,in Davos's first chapter in it,i.e the Buring of the Idols of the 7,I realized how closely the situation of these Idols resembles that of the Starks....

1.Ned-The Father,First to Fall,Loses his head,exactly like the Idol of the Father in the Burning.

2.Cat-The Mother,a Sword through the heart(Dies a heartbroken woman from the loss of her family)

3.Robb-The Warrior.

4.Sansa-The Maiden

5.Bran-Crone(the Wise one,he will light the Way)

6.Arya-The Stranger(More animal than man)

7.RIckon-Smith(The Builder,Re-builder in this case...This one is pure speculation)

Jon isn't included as he isn't a Stark.

The Faith worships the Seven, a single deity with seven aspects or faces, each representing a different virtue. Worshipers pray to specific aspects of the Seven for help and guidance depending on their need. This aspects are:

• Father, or the Father Above, representing judgment. He is depicted as a bearded man who carries scales, and is prayed to for justice.
  • Mother, or the Mother Above, representing motherhood and nurturing. She is prayed to for fertility or compassion, and is depicted as smiling with love, embodying the concept of mercy.
  • Warrior, representing strength in battle. He is prayed to for courage and victory. He carries a sword.
  • Maiden, representing innocence and chastity. She is usually prayed to to protect a maiden's virtue.
  • Smith, representing crafts and labor. He is usually prayed to when work needs to be done, for strength. He carries a hammer.
  • Crone, representing wisdom. She carries a lantern and is prayed to for guidance.
  • Stranger. An exception to the other aspects, the Stranger represents death and the unknown. Worshipers rarely seek favor from the Stranger, but outcasts sometimes associate themselves with this god.

I can buy into this.

Although, it seems that each person turns their back on their symbol before their character arch concludes. Ned decided to lie about Joffrey's legitimacy instead of demanding justice, Cat is the exact opposite of merciful, Robb was far from victorious, and Sansa seems to be on track to throw away innocence.

I could definitely see GRRM doing this on purpose, and I'm curious how the rest will play out with this pattern in mind (especially Rickon)

I think Jon is currently a balance between the Warrior and the Smith. He is warrior as shown in the Battle of the Wall and training in the yard, but he also shares the aspect of the Smith in constructing a treaty and peace with the wildlings as well as rebuilding old forts along the Wall.

Interesting. And I could probably argue that Jon actually represents all 7.

Some of that depends on whether or not you believe Jon is AAR and PTWP, but I'm inclined to agree with you. To the OP, interesting, I've seen other people coming to the same conclusion, so kudos. Must mean something if you're not the only one that thinks it. Right...

Some of that depends on whether or not you believe Jon is AAR and PTWP, but I'm inclined to agree with you.

Yes, I acknowledge that I'm biased because Jon is my favorite character :) but I do honestly think it works. Some of the rest can maybe be stretched to 2 or 3 (Robb as Warrior and a bit of Father; Ned and Catelyn both as both Father and Mother and perhaps a bit of Warrior or Crone).

But Jon exacts justice as LC (Father), shows mercy to the free folk (Mother), shows great courage in battle (Warrior), has taken a vow of chastity (Maiden; though, yes, he does break it), is rebuilding the castles along the Wall (Smith), shares wisdom about the north and the free folk and the Others (Crone), and he is an outsider surrounded by death and the unknown (Stranger).

Yes, I acknowledge that I'm biased because Jon is my favorite character :) but I do honestly think it works. Some of the rest can maybe be stretched to 2 or 3 (Robb as Warrior and a bit of Father; Ned and Catelyn both as both Father and Mother and perhaps a bit of Warrior or Crone).

But Jon exacts justice as LC (Father), shows mercy to the free folk (Mother), shows great courage in battle (Warrior), has taken a vow of chastity (Maiden; though, yes, he does break it), is rebuilding the castles along the Wall (Smith), shares wisdom about the north and the free folk and the Others (Crone), and he is an outsider surrounded by death and the unknown (Stranger).

Oh I wasn't bashing or anything, Jon is my favorite too, right up there alongside Arya and Hodor lol. I totally agree, Jon>>>Dany any day.

Archived