Three eyed crow as an enemy to AAR? Bran's possible association with darkness?

Bloodraven / Three eyed crow I believe is not as good as everyone thinks. The theory that Mel is Shiera's daughter makes it more interesting of them being opposing forces.

I saw some interesting quotes, first these

“Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night’s Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.”- Night's watch oath

Darkness seems evil here.

Now this:

“In ancient books of Asshai it is written that there will come a day after a long summer when the stars bleed and the cold breath of darkness falls heavy on the world. In this dread hour a warrior shall draw from the fire a burning sword. And that sword shall be Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes, and he who clasps it shall be Azor Ahai come again, and the darkness shall flee before him.”- AAR

“May the Lord of Light protect you in your darkness, Ser Cortnay.”

Melsandre believes darkness is the enemy of the lord of light in this and also the quote below

“The god of darkness protects us now, my lady. Even you.” The flames of her eyes seemed to burn a little brighter at that. “Speak not that name, ser. Lest you draw his black eye upon us. He protects no man, I promise you. He is the enemy of all that lives..."

And what about the weirwood with his brother’s face, that smelled of death and darkness? - Jon Snow

This is Bran, and this is another interesting quote, he smelled of death and darkness to his own brother?

He’d felt safe in the darkness; when you could not even find your own hand in front of your face, it was easy to believe that no enemies could ever find you either.- Bran

Bran says he will feel safe in the darkness :o

Against him stands the Great Other whose name may not be spoken, the Lord of Darkness, the Soul of Ice, the God of Night and Terror. -Mel

Who is this lord of darkness is it bloodraven?

North of the Wall was a sea of darkness that seemed to stretch forever. - Jon SNow

Bran is now residing north of the wall at the moment.

And the last quote that makes me thin Bloodraven or whoever the 3 eyed crow is is evil.

"Never fear the darkness, Bran. The strongest trees are rooted in the dark places of the earth. Darkness will be your cloak, your shield, your mother's milk. Darkness will make you strong." -Three eyed crow.

What is his end game what does he want with Bran?

We don't know who AAR is? or if the prophecy will be fulfilled.

If it ends up being the NW, Jon, Dany etc, it looks possible The 3 eyed crow is the enemy and is probably bringing Bran to his side, on that note all I have to say is " RUN BRAN RUN"

NOTE THIS DOES NOT MEAN BR IS EVIL JUST A POSSIBLE ENEMY TO AAR AND THE SIDE OF LIGHT

I have been thinking about that too. Good quotes you got there too. However, why would they fight Others? To let Bran think they are good?

Perhaps.

That could be the reason.

Or maybe the're playing their own game.

Thats the last piece of the puzzle I am trying to solve.

Someone brought up the quote that Old Nan said about crows being liars. Bloodraven was himself a "crow" being a brother of the NW. Bloodraven is lying to Bran about his real purpose and why he has been brought to the cave.

Bloodraven is working with the old races (COTF, white walkers and other old races) and is the watcher over the realms of men to make sure they don't break the pact that was made, which they already brought by living beyond the Wall.

Someone brought up the quote that Old Nan said about crows being liars. Bloodraven was him a "crow" being a brother of the NW. Bloodraven is lying to Bran about his real purpose and why he has been brought to the cave.

Bloodraven is working with the old races (COTF, white walkers and other old races) and is the watcher over the realms of men to make sure they don't break the pact that was made, which they already brought by living beyond the Wall.

Thats a very good point, the crow being a "liar" and "lying" to Bran about his whole purpose.

I still think that if Bloodraven was trying to lure Bran north he would have done it with promises of making him walk or bringing back his family rather than showing him that he may very well die when he gets there. Plus if they were working with Others why would they need a cave that's warded against them? I think that Bran's purpose will be to help guide someone further north and what better way to do it than with the skills he's learning from Bloodraven. I have a hard time buying into Mel because when we get her POV we realize that she doesn't even understand what she sees most of the time. As for BR's comments about the dark, he's teaching Bran to fight creatures who only come out in darkness so it's only logical that he would tell him not to fear those things.

I too have the same impression about the Light-Darkness line. Both powers have worshippers, both (in the form of old gods vs god of fire) are greedy for sacrificial blood, so there clearly are some parallels. It would be weird if Bran ends up as a champion for Darkness, only to fight in the final battle against Jon as the champion for Light.

Also, I remember thinking when reading DoD for the first time that the thing with the Others might be an idea of children of forest to punish the First Men for their invasion to Westeros, and to make their (squirrel men) population last longer. But what about them fighting the Others? I'm confused here.

I still think that if Bloodraven was trying to lure Bran north he would have done it with promises of making him walk or bringing back his family rather than showing him that he may very well die when he gets there. Plus if they were working with Others why would they need a cave that's warded against them? I think that Bran's purpose will be to help guide someone further north and what better way to do it than with the skills he's learning from Bloodraven. I have a hard time buying into Mel because when we get her POV we realize that she doesn't even understand what she sees most of the time. As for BR's comments about the dark, he's teaching Bran to fight creatures who only come out in darkness so it's only logical that he would tell him not to fear those things.

But we saw through her eyes and that description was clearly Bran and BR.

Darkness will be your cloak, your shield, your mother's milk. Darkness will make you strong."

I think this is more than just telling him not to be afraid of Darkness

Why do we assume Mel and her Red God are good? Just because Bloodraven scares Melisandre doesn't make him evil. I think that the First Men would not have adopted the Old Gods if the Old Gods were on the side of the Others during the Long Night. Bloodraven's lesson about darkness I think is natural for a man who spent a long time in the black cells of the Red Keep without going crazy. He knows how to turn deficits into strengths. That's something Bran needs.

We know that the Others are attracted to fire and heat (e.g. Fist of the First Men). So while Mel and her fires may seem a natural opposition, the only way she can fight them is straight on. Furthermore, while fire kills the wights, it doesn't work against the Others. Only dark obsidian, "frozen fire", can kill them. In a fight against the Others being able to operate in the dark is a great advantage. There's a reason the Night's Watch wears black and not red.

Bran is one of my favourite characters and tbh if his plot is just to become a tree and protect the realm I would be disapointed by GRRM, I am hoping there is something more to the children of the forest.

Questions to ask

Why would the children of the forest care about helping humans leaf even said "men are the children" which means they have the arrogance of elves in most series.

I like the theory that the children and the old races are angry that humans broke the pact.

But we saw through her eyes and that description was clearly Bran and BR.

Darkness will be your cloak, your shield, your mother's milk. Darkness will make you strong."

I think this is more than just telling him not to be afraid of Darkness

But she doesn't know that that is her enemy.

A wooden face, corpse white. Was this the enemy? A thousand red eyes floated in

the rising flames. He sees me. Beside him, a boy with a wolf’s face threw back his head and howled.

There's also the fact that Mel had no problem whatsoever with the live sacrifice of an innocent child so the good and evil there is a matter of perspective.

But she doesn't know that that is her enemy.

There's also the fact that Mel had no problem whatsoever with the live sacrifice of an innocent child so the good and evil there is a matter of perspective.

Jon also said it smelled of death and darkness.

Jon also said it smelled of death and darkness.

To Ghost it smelled of death and darkness, Bran's in a cave surrounded by dead things. I think originally the Others were created or conjured up by the CotF but they lost control of them, sorcery is a sword without a hilt, there's no safe way to hold it. But given that their cave is warded against such beings I think that these particular CotF are trying to help the realm of men. And as for Bran becoming a tree I don't think he is bound to the tree, it isn't until after he is taken off of his throne that he sees the majority of the visions from Winterfell. Bloodraven has to use the tree to keep himself alive long enough to instruct the next Greenseer, but he doesn't have to be connected to it to see through it.

Bloodraven isnt the 3EC. When Bran asked him when they first met Bloodraven was confused with the question.

Bloodraven doesn't know how he appeared to Bran, Bran sees a crow because the last thing he sees just before he hits the ground are the crows circling the tower and if you reread that chapter he spends a fair amount of time thinking about the crows. It's like when you go to sleep with something on your mind and end up dreaming about it.

Bloodraven isnt the 3EC. When Bran asked him when they first met Bloodraven was confused with the question.

That might just mean he doesn't know what he's represented as when he makes someone dream/have a vision.

Likewise, does Bran show any knowledge of how he appeared to Jon? A young weirwood tree that grew his face? And the 'death and darkness' came from Bran's position when he contacted Jon: the Stark crypt.

That might just mean he doesn't know what he's represented as when he makes someone dream/have a vision.

Likewise, does Bran show any knowledge of how he appeared to Jon? A young weirwood tree that grew his face? And the 'death and darkness' came from Bran's position when he contacted Jon: the Stark crypt.

You're right I had forgotten that that was when they were still hiding out in the crypt.

On this business of the children and the Others its worth noting two points; first there is no evidence in the books of the children ever fighting against the Others. Quite the contrary, it took years for the last of the 13 heroes to find them after the armies of men had stood alone against the blue-eyed lot. Secondly, although there is a popular belief that Bloodraven and the children are going to train Bran how to fight the Others, at no point in the cave are they even mentioned, let alone any intimation given to Bran as to how they can be beaten.

Archived