Will the Westerland vassals eventually fight the Lannisters?

The weirwood knight

By now the Lannisters seem to be in the unique position of being despised by every major power faction in the world.

- The Northern and Riverland lords obviously want to gut them or at least get rid of them.

- Littlefinger and other Valesmen are eager to throw them under the bus.

- The Tyrells are at the brink to declare open war against Cersei and her cronies in Kings Landing, Tomnen's second name is still Baratheon after all, so fighting the Lannisters won't cost Margery her crown, at least not officially.

- The Martells and the invading exiles of the Targaryan cause (Golden Company) alike insist on extincting the Lannisters for good and are ralliing the Stormlords to their cause.

- And mad Euron Greyjoy and his ironborn are commited to slaughter all high noble families, including the Lannisters.

- Even Stannis, if he prevails, has unfinished business with Casterley Rock and will show no mercy.

Whatever the outcome of this war, whoever wins, there will come a day when someone invades the Westerlands and demands Lannister heads.

Will the loyal and honerable Westerland bannerman come to join the Lannister in their last glorious fight or rather make a deal to sell them out?

The Tullys sold out Harren the Black to Aegon, the Tyrells handed Highgarden to the conquerer who had just burned their King, both got rewarded splendidly as Overlords of the conquered territory.

Yet noone calls them traitors these days, only wise and prudent Lords of old times.

Given that, a Marbrand or a Westerling could just as easily aspire to inheret the Lannister power and seat as well, or not?

Any thoughts?

I think that is a serious risk. Tywin's form of government basically only works as long as Tywin or someone like him is firmly planted in the Rock. Right now, the Lannisters are scattered, despised; while a lot of the old grudges (Tyrell vs Martell, etc.) are growing stale the current Lannister family has personally pissed off all of the people you listed.

It's not like some Tywhatever from 8 generations ago did it, these are things that were done mostly by Tywin and Cersei. So far they've been untouchable but I think people are getting tired of being in what essentially amounts to an abusive relationship with this family.

Will they?

Now that Cersei is disgraced, Jaime missing, Tyrion exiled and Kevan/Tywin are dead its seems as though there isn't really a strong arm defending the house at the moment. Only Genna or Daven has a chance.

I can totally see it happening.

I see everyone siding against the Lannister's. Cersei is disgraced and with Tywin and Kevan gone, do not see the house faring all that well. Daven is promised to marry a Frey and Genna is married to a Frey. I only see the Frey's going down and that might mean Genna along with them. I see the can't even imagine after all is done that the Lannister's are even a minor house or hold on to Casterly Rock.

I don't think so. Even though the Lannisters are weak, their banner men still seem loyal. Plus, everyone forgets Damion at Casterly Rock. We don't know anything about him, but he's likely competent, and may be in a position to take the helm when all turns sour.

I wouldn't say they are in a unique position of being despised by every house. The Frey's are in the same position.

The Freys didn't piss of the Martells.

And neither Aegon or Daenerys.

They maybe could even convince one of them to rule the Riverlands in their name, the Tullys were key supporters of Robert's rebellion after all.

And Danny and Aegon already have worse people in their service, mercaneries ussually don't care about honor or laws about guest right.

I dont think any lords of the westerlands will risk becomming the next reynes or tarbecks

Why not? Tywin is dead. Tyrion is exiled. Cersei is being trialed. Jaime has taken the white. Kevan is dead. Tommen's in control of the Iron Throne, but he has nobody to really support him anymore. Myrcella is in Dorne and a prisoner/ward.

Honestly, there's no better time than some Bannerman in the westerlands to get ambitious. The odds are in their favour.

Why not? Tywin is dead. Tyrion is exiled. Cersei is being trialed. Jaime has taken the white. Kevan is dead. Tommen's in control of the Iron Throne, but he has nobody to really support him anymore. Myrcella is in Dorne and a prisoner/ward.

Honestly, there's no better time than some Bannerman in the westerlands to get ambitious. The odds are in their favour.

House reyne and tarbeck considered the Lannisters to be weak at one point aswell, what happened there?

There is still Lancel with the faith behind him (maybe)

Tommen, the king.

Jaime

Cersei, will be freed after robert strong kills whoever the faiths champion is, probably The Hound

Tyrion, with a swellsword army he owes a lot of money to, who will be expecting that money when they get to westeros

Myrcella, with dorne behind her

House lannister is far from weak, weakened sure but not dead

House reyne and tarbeck considered the Lannisters to be weak at one point aswell, what happened there?

There is still Lancel with the faith behind him (maybe)

Tommen, the king.

Jaime

Cersei, will be freed after robert strong kills whoever the faiths champion is, probably The Hound

Tyrion, with a swellsword army he owes a lot of money to, who will be expecting that money when they get to westeros

Myrcella, with dorne behind her

House lannister is far from weak, weakened sure but not dead

Lancel gave up his claim to join the faith.

Tommen is a boy king and soft

Jaime is missing.

Cersei is disgraced and an idiot.

Tyrion is exiled.

Myrcella is disfigured or possibly dead. She does not really have Dorne behind her anyways.

Leadership for the Lannisters is weak right now. Practically non existent maybe

I hope they don't dump the Lannisters but if they do, I hope they do it in unison and without infighting. Their unity has given them strength so far. They'd be fools to get in a fight about who'll take over. Personally I think the Lannisters will come up with something tricky. Tyrion will probably be arriving with Dany or another incoming force, he could persuade them to accept him as the Lord of the Rock if that side has a good chance of winning.

Daven probably say "fuck it" and makes peace with everybody and tries to live a peacefully, since he sees how westerlands don't have much military power left.

When you play a game of thrones, either you win or die. Lannisters seem to be as dead as Starks.

Daven Lannister is currently the Warden of the West, and that title commands respect. Cersei obviously granted him that position to spite Kevan and Jamie, but he still holds it. He is considered capable by Jamie and the Blackfish and is generally a renowned warrior. We didn't meet him until AFFC, but he seems like a honorable knight who's just doing his duty (i.e. marrying a Frey) but will be the type of person to lead if pushed in a crisis.

Damion Lannister is currently the Castellan of Casterly Rock. Damion's likely been in charge of governance of the Westerlands while Tywin and Kevan have mostly been on the battlefield and King's Landing. He's also bound to House Crakehall by marriage, and from what we've seen of Strongboar, they're a particularly loyal vassal house.

Genna Lannister may be a woman, but she proved in her only appearance in AFFC that she's feared and hard-headed. She's also the last surviving member of Tywin's immediate family, and a senior Lannister, she'll probably hold some influence in how the Westerlands is going to get themselves out of this mess.

I do think they can regroup what's left of the family and coordinate a better plan in the coming conflicts. House Marbrand, Crakehall and Jast are all loyal vassals with powerful men leading them, so their situation is totally hopeless... yet.

Daven Lannister is currently the Warden of the West, and that title commands respect. Cersei obviously granted him that position to spite Kevan and Jamie, but he still holds it. He is considered capable by Jamie and the Blackfish and is generally a renowned warrior. We didn't meet him until AFFC, but he seems like a honorable knight who's just doing his duty (i.e. marrying a Frey) but will be the type of person to lead if pushed in a crisis.

Damion Lannister is currently the Castellan of Casterly Rock. Damion's likely been in charge of governance of the Westerlands while Tywin and Kevan have mostly been on the battlefield and King's Landing. He's also bound to House Crakehall by marriage, and from what we've seen of Strongboar, they're a particularly loyal vassal house.

Genna Lannister may be a woman, but she proved in her only appearance in AFFC that she's feared and hard-headed. She's also the last surviving member of Tywin's immediate family, and a senior Lannister, she'll probably hold some influence in how the Westerlands is going to get themselves out of this mess.

I do think they can regroup what's left of the family and coordinate a better plan in the coming conflicts. House Marbrand, Crakehall and Jast are all loyal vassals with powerful men leading them, so their situation is totally hopeless... yet.

Devan's the Warden of the West, Damion's the Castellan of Casterly Rock, I think he's supposed to be really old as well.

Archived