Season Taking over Books..

Usman Mir

Well I think Winds will be out in 2016, so it will run about par with the show. After that, there's no way the last book comes out before the show reaches that point. The show has left some of the best things out from Clash and Storm. The show is not bad, but I prefer the books.

I think it's a foregone conclusion, that the show will pass the books. Let's be realistic about this. The show, has five calendar years left...maybe six. The likelihood of Martin releasing two 1500+ page books in this time is highly doubtful. Especially after hearing the latest update on WoW.

The HBO series is it's own animal, at this point. It has its own identity and in a lot cases, a different following than the books. The network and creators, can neither afford or wait for Martin to finish the books. They will lose actors and viewers.

We have seen from the trailer of the new season, possible elements from aFfC and Dance. Season five will be comprised of Feast, Dance and the very beginning of Winds. While season six, most likely will be nothing but Winds and maybe the ending of Dance/Feast. Seasons seven and eight will be nothing but the end of Winds and Dream(most likely the two largest books of series.) D&D have stated before, that they do not wish to go past eight season.

I think it's an exaggeration to say people will just stop watching because the show takes a one year break. The Sopranos did this twice, and from I know it didn't lose many viewers, if any. So people have to wait. Who cares? If they really like the show they will stick with it, and those that don't wouldn't be many in number, not nearly enough to have any consequences.

Also, and normally I'm one for sticking to the books, but does it really matter if they child actors get older? None of the three's ages are very important to their storylines. It may be a bit jarring to see them older, but it won't change much at all.

I think it's an exaggeration to say people will just stop watching because the show takes a one year break. The Sopranos did this twice, and from I know it didn't lose many viewers, if any. So people have to wait. Who cares? If they really like the show they will stick with it, and those that don't wouldn't be many in number, not nearly enough to have any consequences.

Also, and normally I'm one for sticking to the books, but does it really matter if they child actors get older? None of the three's ages are very important to their storylines. It may be a bit jarring to see them older, but it won't change much at all.

Issue is the kids will age, there all ready older then they should be, The show wont break or go on hiatus. Its there for one reason. To make money.

Well I think Winds will be out in 2016, so it will run about par with the show. After that, there's no way the last book comes out before the show reaches that point. The show has left some of the best things out from Clash and Storm. The show is not bad, but I prefer the books.

Wind will be out this year or early next spring.

Didn't Martin's editor rule out 2014, and say it could maybe be out by late 2015? I'm only going off what I've read on the forum, since I haven't read the comment itself.

He had a big chunk of Winds written. It was material cut out from Dance. Several people "in the loop" have hinted he is close to being done. And correct me if im wrong but editing on the last book only lasted 3-4 months no?

He had a big chunk of Winds written. It was material cut out from Dance. Several people "in the loop" have hinted he is close to being done. And correct me if im wrong but editing on the last book only lasted 3-4 months no?

I don't think it was that big a chunk cut out. Only 200 pages or so I believe. He's been quoted as saying that Winds will be a very long book, at least the length of Storm. 200 pages out of the 1000-1200 still leaves a lot more to be written. I'm hopeful you're right about a lot being already done, and that it will be out soon, but I'm pretty pessimistic at this point.

I don't think it was that big a chunk cut out. Only 200 pages or so I believe. He's been quoted as saying that Winds will be a very long book, at least the length of Storm. 200 pages out of the 1000-1200 still leaves a lot more to be written. I'm hopeful you're right about a lot being already done, and that it will be out soon, but I'm pretty pessimistic at this point.

It might just be wishful thinking. Im putting it all on the line by saying Winter 2014.

what we know: season 4 is back half of book 3 (mostly)

what we can assume: Season 5 and 6 are books 4 and 5

He has atleast 3 more years till book 6 must be in the show, more if books 4/5 take up 3 seaons instead of 2.

Then if book 6 can be split up into multiple seasons...

He has plenty of time! (kinda)

I will agree with some of the things you said. The things on which we disagree is that I dont think DnD will make 2 whole seasons on book 4 and 5 but considering that they do so, even then some of the story lines that are ignored in the books, will be shown in the season.

Like in books Martin easily ignored Theon for 2 books and then again introduced him under another identity in Dance, however in the show we saw what happens to Theon right in the start thus maintaining the status quo with previous season.

Same can be said for the arcs of Bran and Jaime/Brienne, in ADWD we only see glimpses of them with 3 and 1 chapter respectively, however they cannot ignore them in the show like Martin did in his books.

Of some characters we have alot of story already told to go on for the next 2 seasons but some characters will definitely go ahead of their stories as per the novels.

Its pretty much confirmed that Joff dies in the 2nd ep. Season 3 will be wrapped up early. The show isnt going to do what GRRM did with book 4 and 5 and split the seasons but have them run parallel. This season 4 will have content from book 3,4,5. Season 5 will finish up book 4/5. Season 6 will start book 6. Season 7 will most likley end book 6.

We should have book six out before season 6 airs. Assuming book 6 comes out this winter / spring. That gives GRRM roughly 3 years and a few months after winds is published to get dance out before the show over takes him. Editing takes a few months. So if GRRM doesn't take any extended breaks. Gets right into Dance after he sends Winds to be edited. He should have a window of 4 years to write Dance before the show over runs him.

Season 4 will not over take the books, though a few elements will be speed up, and remixed.

Season 4 will be mostly the end of book 3, with a few sprinkles from 4 & 5 to balance out the story.

The rest of books 4 & 5 will be shuffled together & made into 2-4 seasons(3 seems like a safe number).

The taking over the book elements of the trailer (dragon shadow & Theon), are all but defiantly misdirection & a combination of flash backs, visions/dreams, and ad only content.

Season 4 will not over take the books for sure but do you think GRRM have enough content for all storylines already published for all the characters.

This following may contain some spoilers.

Again I say that if we look at the ending of season 3, Bran has already crossed the Wall which happened at the end of ASOS in the novels and after that we had only 3 chapters of Bran and his encounter with BR. I have only one question, Do you think DnD can stall his storyline for 10 episodes with just 3 chapters to follow?

Season 4 will not over take the books for sure but do you think GRRM have enough content for all storylines already published for all the characters.

This following may contain some spoilers.

Again I say that if we look at the ending of season 3, Bran has already crossed the Wall which happened at the end of ASOS in the novels and after that we had only 3 chapters of Bran and his encounter with BR. I have only one question, Do you think DnD can stall his storyline for 10 episodes with just 3 chapters to follow?

The shows has a lot of stories to follow. While brans content will be less they can fill in the time with several of the plots not yet introduced. Vic, Brienne, Quent, Arianne, Euron, Or they can create new characters like that Rose

I wish that too but I think when it comes to writing and if we are talking about GRRM's writing then we all are pessimist/realist :P

Its pretty much confirmed that Joff dies in the 2nd ep. Season 3 will be wrapped up early. The show isnt going to do what GRRM did with book 4 and 5 and split the seasons but have them run parallel. This season 4 will have content from book 3,4,5. Season 5 will finish up book 4/5. Season 6 will start book 6. Season 7 will most likley end book 6.

We should have book six out before season 6 airs. Assuming book 6 comes out this winter / spring. That gives GRRM roughly 3 years and a few months after winds is published to get dance out before the show over takes him. Editing takes a few months. So if GRRM doesn't take any extended breaks. Gets right into Dance after he sends Winds to be edited. He should have a window of 4 years to write Dance before the show over runs him.

It's Dream not Dance.

I don't think it is going to go as fast as we think. If it's only 10 episodes again, we still have a lot to watch. They could wrap up Purple wedding, Tyrion's departure, even Oberyn fighting the Mountain, but would still need another season just to get into Cersei's crap, Jamie and Brienne, Stannis not only at the Wall but then the goings on at Winterfell/Boltons et al, and Dany could span another two seasons before riding off on Drogon. Ten episodes is not a whole lot of time and AFFC/ADWD are slow moving in their book form, anyway.

Most people in this thread are assuming it will only take him 2 more books to wrap things up. He may be able to but I think 3 books is much more likely. I think it is unlikely that he can finish the series before the show in two books. It will be near impossible if it takes him 3.

I also don't understand why people think ADWD and AFFC can be condensed into a single season. I know there isn't that much going on compared to the other books but there is still enough to get two solid seasons. I don't know why HBO wouldn't stretch the show out as much as it can right now. The ratings are good and I don't think HBO wants to pass the books if it doesn't have too.

I'm not sure how much aging characters will be a problem anymore. Bran already hit puberty so there won't be any other huge changes. His voice changing was the biggest thing and pretty soon he is going to be a tree-boy. Joff is dead soon. I think Sansa will be fine. Arya may be a problem if it wasn't for the fact that she is a tomboy. When she really starts going through puberty most of her womanly attributes can be hidden and she can continue to look much younger. Also who knows whats going to happen with the FM. They may use different actresses at some points.

HBO can't stop the series though. They need to keep filming while they have the actors under contract. They can decide no to release a season until a year or so later if they have too.

The problem isn't HBO or the TV show. As much as I love GRRM he is completely to blame. The man is an amazing author but he can't plan worth a damn. Just look at his estimates of how many books the series would originally be and he estimated release dates. He's never right and normally not even close. If he couldn't finish the series he should have waited a few years for the show to be made. The frustrating part is I think he could finish in time. He is spending a lot of time writing side projects, traveling, and doing other things though so it's not like he's trying his hardest to get the books released ASAP. I know he's not our bitch but he he has put himself in a strange position where someone else can be finishing HIS story. I fear that he has lost interest in writing the rest of the series. I think he still loves the series but I think when it comes to putting pen to paper it seems like a burden for him.

I think he still loves the series but I think when it comes to putting pen to paper it seems like a burden for him.

This is probably true. I believe he once said that he hates writing, but loves having written...... not exactly an encouraging comment.

grrm said a good writing day is 4 pages (probably draft too - from nerdest podcast) most hes ever done is 20ish and that was like twice? at the end of a book. thats when he writes and you have to actually factor him in writing asoiaf instead of a side project. its ok him saying he wont be pressured and that he can write what he wants but he needs to finish his main project (which made him famous/money) so it doesnt collapse on its self, the fans deserve that.

the seasons need content and big land mark events as finales, so you could go through the books and use the biggest events as check points im too tired to try and work it out, its a dany this season will be where she is in the beginning of dance, so god knows how they are going to pull her story out. they might have to have like 2-3 scenes of her in a whole season to drag it out, who knows, this season will probably end with her having war declared on her?

going to be interesting how they do aegons story considering the show has little back story.

Archived