Season Taking over Books..

Usman Mir

going to be interesting how they do aegons story considering the show has little back story.

I'm wondering even more how they're gonna explain Bloodraven and his past. After reading all five books, I still didn't have a clear idea of who he was, and had to read all of his wiki page to understand. I doubt the show watchers will do this.

This is probably true. I believe he once said that he hates writing, but loves having written...... not exactly an encouraging comment.

He never said this. Martin says that he loves writing and he will keep on writing whether its ASOIAF or anything else and will never retire from writing.

It seems like we have one of these threads every week. I'm not all that worried. I think GRRM knew what he was doing when he sold the rights to the story, that he would be hard pressed to finish the last two books ahead of the production schedule of the show, but also that he was capable of getting it done. Also, the existing books that have been published have at least two more seasons worth of material in them beyond the current season.

Look, for all we know, TWOW could be mostly done at this point and he could already be both planning and writing ADOS chapters. It's not like he doesn't know what's going to happen.

I'm wondering even more how they're gonna explain Bloodraven and his past. After reading all five books, I still didn't have a clear idea of who he was, and had to read all of his wiki page to understand. I doubt the show watchers will do this.

I have a feeling Bloodraven's backstory will be changed a bit and they're introducing him early to establish him as a character and give show watchers a better chance to understand who he is.

GRRM can release TWoW before the show takes over. I think the TWoW material can give at most two seasons. Then he will have to release ADoS. Or they can give a break like they did in Spartacus and give us some D&E stories.

They're not allowed to do anything besides time period in the main series plus they refuse to take any time off because of the aging child actors. In other words, figure out how to get the show canceled or the books will get spoiled :(

I think that, based on what some of us know about film/television production, it's very unlikely that the show will go on for more than eight seasons. It just wouldn't be practical from an economic stand-point, even if the show maintains its current popularity/profitability. Why? Well, it mostly comes down to the actors' contracts. Most television contracts are set for five years, with an option to add a sixth season at an increased rate. After that time, the actors are able to completely re-negotiate their contract, meaning they're going to be eligible for a lot more money.

That means that the billed actors who have been around since the first season will be re-negotiating after the sixth season, and the billed actors who came on board during the second season will be able to do so during the eight season. The Sopranos was delayed - as a previous poster mentioned - because of these negotiations. With a show like Game of Thrones, that kind of delay simply won't be possible. It shoots in several different countries, across various locations, and the various sets are all set-up in warehouses that have a rental fee associated with them. Basically, it isn't set during the modern day, and this creates a lot of problems were it to necessary to halt production. As another example, a large part of the reason Deadwood was cancelled had to do with the set itself, which had to be torn down after issues arose from actors re-negotiating their contracts - it simply wasn't economically viable to continue to pay for the lot the set had been built on.

All of that, and add on the fact that these final seasons will contain a multitude of climactic, large-scale, expensive moments to dramatize, and you can see why D&D have consistently cited eight seasons (or eighty hours) as the ceiling for this show.

When you get into the timeline, and how the publication of the forthcoming books will affect the show...

Season four will air in just a few months, and will cover the remainder of ASoS, as well as a fair amount of material from AFfC & ADwD. Bran's story line, Theon & Yara's story line, Dany's story line, Brienne & Pod's story line, and even some ancillary stuff concerning the Vale and Braavos (Tycho Nestoris having been cast) will all get into material from the two latest books in the upcoming season.

This - among other things - leads me to believe that D&D will (rightly) cover the majority of the two latest books in just one season. There are a number of reasons for this. From a narrative perspective, television simply doesn't work like a series of novels - you can't slow things down to the extent that adapting AFfC & ADwD as two separate seasons would entail. Sure, there are a lot of great moments, but the plot simply gets too spread out, with too many extraneous characters and individual story threads. The goal of the writers will (and should) be to end the fifth season with a lot of those disparate plot lines converging. There's also the issue of pace and structure: These two books simply don't have a satisfactory end point for the majority of the characters to be found in the middle parts of those novels. They aren't going to follow up what should be the best season of the show to date with one that leaves our main cast meandering, while simultaneously adding a large number of new characters into the mix. If the writers want to maintain momentum, and ensure that they will be able to tell this story to completion, they have to construct a season of television that will keep the audience engaged and excited for what's coming next.

And again, all that says nothing about the fact that TWoW & ADoS will surely be worthy of more screen time than the happenings from the two latest books in the series. To be clear, I'm not hater - AFfC is my second favorite book in the series (though ADwD is, admittedly, second to last for me personally; mainly due to how it 'ended'), but when you look at these books from the view point of a serialized television show - and all that that specific medium entails - you can see the inherent adaptation issues the writers are going to run into.

So, with all that in mind, a best-case scenario for the show and the books would look something like this:

2014 - Season four is released, and covers the remainder of ASoS and small portions of the latest two books. The writers and production team begin planning season five some time around early March.

2015 - Season five is released, and covers the majority of AFfC & ADwD. The writers will likely meet again with George, and possibly (read: probably) gain access to his written material for TWoW despite the fact that it won't yet be released by the time they need to start working on the new season. Late in the year (or more towards the middle, if we're being optimistic), TWoW is released.

2016 - Season six is released, and finishes up any remaining plot elements from AFfC & ADwD, as well as covering approximately half of TWoW.

2017 - Season seven is released, and finishes up TWoW. A few story lines (such as Bran's) may delve a bit into material from the last book, but not much, I'd imagine.

2018-19 - Now, again, this is best-case scenario, but this is where either George will be overtaken, or where the show would be delayed. The production schedule would continue as usual, meaning the writing, post-production, and shoot will all happen as they normally have and when they normally have (though it will go on longer than usual). As this will be the final season of the show, I can see something of a mutually beneficial delay happening - George will be given more time to finish and release the final book, while D&D and HBO will be able to produce an extended season, containing more than ten episodes (making the longer wait more bearable). The final parts of both the book series and the show will release - roughly - in tandem with one another. From a marketing perspective, it'd be ideal. Hype surrounding both the final season of the show and the release of the final book will be at an all-time high, and neither group will have to deal with issues inherent in one releasing too far ahead of the other.

In that scenario, the production isn't forced to stop (as they'll undoubtedly be given access to Martin's manuscript), and George doesn't have to deal with the show 'ruining' his ending. If George isn't able to keep up with the pace, then the show will overtake the books, and he'll have no one to blame but himself. In either scenario, the production of the show will go no longer than that. There aren't going to be any seasons covering Robert's Rebellion, and there won't be any interstitial Dunk & Egg films/mini-series produced in the interim.

I believe GRRM is fooling us all and more than likely already is close or has the books finished. He will the last two books, each one to coincide 6 months to the beginning of the last two seasons. forcing his real fans to buy the hardcovers, and at the same time securing NY time top seller status.

Im confindent we will get WoW out before s6 (2016) which will be WoW content. WoW is rumored to be larger then SoS so have feeling it will be 2 seasons, with Dos bringing it home in s8. But people saying it ending in 7 seasons is crazy, there is just to much content to compress, 8 seasons is most likely, possibly 12 episodes in s8. But s8 will be out before DoS.

As far as giving GRRM time to finish D&D have said they wont wait, and as for a back story season has also been ruled out. So we will get 8 seasons (2018), and doubt we will get DoS before 2019

Im confindent we will get WoW out before s6 (2016) which will be WoW content. WoW is rumored to be larger then SoS so have feeling it will be 2 seasons, with Dos bringing it home in s8. But people saying it ending in 7 seasons is crazy, there is just to much content to compress, 8 seasons is most likely, possibly 12 episodes in s8. But s8 will be out before DoS.

As far as giving GRRM time to finish D&D have said they wont wait, and as for a back story season has also been ruled out. So we will get 8 seasons (2018), and doubt we will get DoS before 2019

Being larger than Storm of Swords doesn't mean that it will get two seasons devoted to it.

The reasons that Storm of Swords got two seasons were: RW, PW and a few other epic climaxes to storyllines.

If WoW, starts off with two epic battles and then has many other epic conflicts / climaxes / scenes that give D&D wet dreams like the RW/PW trial by combat etc. then it could get more than one season treatment.

This is already suspected since there's two "epic" battles that start the book off, one or both of which were suppose to be in DWDs anyway if I'm not mistaken.

but season 5 scripts are being written at this moment, one year from now season 6 scripts will be written unless HBO doesn't renew the show for season 5...

meaning that the show writters need the book in 2015, not 16. GRRM could give them coupuous details and they could dream up the scenes that might give them wet dreams to film like the PW/RW etc. did. but seeing how they envison 7/8 seasons, it doesn't appear to look like the final two books are going to be chopped in "half" like Storm of Swords was...

We can safely assume that this season ends with the shocking events at the end of ASOS.

HOWEVER, we can also take as fact that this season will also include event such as:

-Brienne beginning her quest to find Sansa

-Theon/Reek securing Moat Caillin

-Dany having trouble maintaining peace in Mereen (Though I have a feeling her arc this season will end with Jorah's betrayal)

-I also think Jon's arc in E4X10 will see him become Lord Commander.

The people who think that AFFC and ADWD can be stretched for two seasons don't seem to be considering the major flaw in that plan, which is to keep viewers hooked by maintaining a fast narrative pace and character progression. As much discussed on these boards, AFFC and ADWD have a far slower pace, there are practically no 'major' events akin to Blackwater or the Red Wedding. D&D have already mentioned how it is Season 5 that gives them nightmares. Judging from all of this, and from the relentless pace of storylines already in Season 4, it is safe to assume that they will want to condense the storylines of books 4 and 5 into one season, in order to maintain a huge audience and not lose people.

Based on this, here's how Season 5 might reasonably play out. Forgive me if I've omitted anything. I've chosen to leave Bran out of this, as it seems he is very likely to reach the end of his ADWD storyline by end of Season 4. If not, I feel he will have very few scenes in S5, most of them will be about his turning into the new Bloodraven, having visions. He may be brought back in S6 though.

5x01 - Arya passes under the Titan and enters Braavos, is admitted to the House of B+W. Tywin's funeral, Cersei starts to lose it over Tyrion, asks Jaime to be Hand of the King. Introduced to Kevan Lannister, who eventually becomes Hand instead. Sansa and Littlefinger treat with the Vale Lords, present their lie over Lysa's death to them. Tyrion awakes in Pentos, talks with Illyrio. Introduction to Dorne, the Sand Snakes plead with Doran for vengeance. He summons his daughter Arianne and we are also introduced to her. Ramsay reveals his marriage to 'Arya', Theon realises it is false. Dany hears Hizdaar plead for the fighting pits to be reopened. She is advised to marry by the Green Grace, Daario says she should marry him instead. Jon beheads Janos Slynt, and is offered Winterfell and the chance to become Jon Stark by Stannis.

5x02 - Introduction to Euron, who has taken the Iron Islands following Balon's likely death in episode 4x10 or earlier, and who sends Victarion east to claim Dany for his wife. Cersei sends Jaime to the Riverlands, realises that the Tyrells are trying to sink their teeth into the Small Council, and Margery into Tommen. Appoints Qyburn as Grand Maester. Jon refuses Stannis his offer and following Melisandre's interest in Gilly's baby, has them swapped and sends Sam and Gilly with Maestor Aemon to Oldtown. The Boltons reach Winterfell. Arya begins her lessons, is taught to refer to herself as 'noone'. Tyrion leaves Pentos and is introduced to Duck and Haldon, who take him to Griff/Young Griff by the river. Dany is offered ships to leave Mereen and is advised to do so by her councillors, but refuses. The bones of Hazzea are presented to her.

5x03 - Haunted by Hazzea's death, Dany chains her dragons. Quentyn Martell arrives in Mereen and is introduced to Dany as a suitor. Tyrion sets off down the river, talks with Young Griff, realises he is with Aegon and Jon Connington. Sansa looks after Robert in the Vale, Littlefinger begins to teach her how to play the game as Alayne. In the Riverlands, Jaime learns of the movements of the Brotherhood and hears of Lady Stoneheart and how she is hanging Freys. Cersei begins to plot against Margery, befriends Taena - who reports back to her on her movements. Arianne begins her plot to crown Myrcella. At the Wall, Mance Rayder is burned alive. Arya is sent out to learn new things about the city that she did not know. Theon talks with Fake Arya, after she has been raped by Ramsay.

5x04 - Cersei burns the Tower of the Hand, devises a plan with Osney Kettleblack, tells Taena of the prophecy of the Valonqar. Tyrion & co pass through the Sorrows, Tyrion falls into the water, fight with the stone men. Arya becomes Cat of the Canals. Jon ignores the advice of his brothers to not get involved in Stannis' plans, and advises him to not attack the Dreadfort, but to win the support of the mountain clans instead. Stannis sends Davos to treat with White Harbour, and departs from the Wall. Melisandre stays. Brienne reaches Cracklaw Point, where she is told that a Stark girl was with the Hound. Jaime reaches Riverrun and talks with the Freys there. Dany sends Daario from the city, shows Quentyn her dragons.

5x05 - Jon realises the Wall is low on provisions, goes to Moletown to recruit more men to the Watch, sends men to some of the other castles on the Wall. He learns of the marriage to fake Arya - Melisandre tells him of her vision and that she can help him save her. Cersei sleeps with Osney Kettleblack and gives him his instruction to sleep with Margery, gives Qyburn permission to continue his experiments. Arianne smuggles Myrcella out of Sunspear. She sends the Mountain's head to Dorne. Sansa meets Lynn Corbray, learns of Littlefinger's plans surrounding him. Tyrion meets Ser Jorah, exiled in Volantis. Sam and Gilly reach Braavos, where Aemon passes away. Sam runs into Arya. Brienne reaches the Quiet Isle. Jaime treats with the Blackfish, who refuses to surrender. Dany struggles to maintain peace in Mereen, is being threatened by Qarth and Yunkai, agrees to marry Hizdaar.

5x06 - Tyrion and Ser Jorah meet Penny, and find a ship at the Merchant's House, finds out Jorah is taking him to Dany, not Cersei. Jon Con and Aegon reach the Golden Company, and decide to head straight to Westeros. Davos reaches White Harbour is imprisoned, only to later meet Wyman Manderly, who sends him to find Rickon and informs him that the North Remembers and the Mummer's Farce is almost done. Jon discusses his plan to admit the wildlings through the wall. We realise Mance is still alive, Jon agrees with Melisandre's plan to help rescue Fake Arya and sends Mance south. Arianne & co are caught trying to smuggle Myrcella, and Myrcella is injured. The Blackfish escapes Riverrun in the night, Jaime orders the Freys to bring the Red Wedding prisoners to King's Landing. Cersei's plan to frame Margaery backfires when she visits the High Septon. Arya kills Dareon. Dany marries Hizdaar, accepting a peace that tastes bitter to her.

5x07 - Jon treats with the wildlings, and they come through the Wall, much to the suspicion of his brothers. Stannis marches toward Winterfell, with Yara as his prisoner. Tyrion and Ser Jorah take the boat, meet Moqorro, which is diverted from Qarth to Mereen. Sam and Gilly get together on the boat to Oldtown. Euron attacks the Reach. Arianne is imprisoned by Doran. Theon meets Lady Dustin, who takes him on a tour of the Winterfell crypts. Jaime unknowingly talks with one of the Brotherhood without banners in Riverrun, before departing. Arya is made to get rid of all of her posessions - she does so, except Needle. Quentyn Martell devises a plan to steal one of the dragons. Cersei is imprisoned, along with Margery.

5x08 - The guests arrive at Winterfell for the wedding, including Wyman Manderly, who the Boltons are suspicious of. Theon meets the hooded man. Tyrion and Ser Jorah are bought as slaves, taken to the camps outside Mereen. Sansa prepares to descend from the Eeyrie. Jon tries to integrate the wildlings to Castle Black, learns of the crisis Hardhome and decides that an expedition has to be sent out there - the Watch disagrees. He sends ships there anyway. Doran tells Arianne of his plan for Quentyn to steal the dragons. Quentyn attempts to steal the dragons, is burned alive in the process. Arya is taught to change her face. Jon Con and Aegon arrive in Westeros. Cersei is made to undergo her walk of shame.

5x09 - Jaime treats with the Blackwoods/Brackens. Sansa leaves the Eeyrie, talks with Lady Yronwood on the way down. Tyrion and Penny are forced into the fighting pits. Dany endures the fighting, feeling sick, until suddenly Drogon arrives and is attacked. She rushes into the pit to protect him and ends up flying off on his back. Cersei returns to the Red Keep and awaits her trial. Arya is given an assignment by the Kindly Man. Theon undergoes his plan with the spearwives to save Fake Arya, jumping from the city walls and scaping. Stannis nears Winterfell. Sam and Gilly reach Oldtown, where Sam goes to meet a Maester, before running into Sarella. Jon receives bad news from Hardhome. Brienne meets Lady Stoneheart, we a become,re introduced to what Cat has really and is hung by her along with Pod - this is the episode 9 cliffhanger.

5x10 - Dany wanders the grasslands with Drogon, possibly has visions about fire and blood and her true purpose to invade Westeros. She is found there by the Dothraki. Cersei is introduced by Qyburn to Robert Strong. Varys returns to the Red Keep and kills Pycelle & Kevan. Tyrion devises a plan for the Second Sons. Victarion reaches Mereen. Barristan is informed of the Yunkai armies that are approaching the city, he confronts Hizdaar about being the Harpy. Arianne meets with the Sand Snakes, devises their plan to infiltrate King's Landing. Jon Connington and Aegon take a castle and begin their invasion of Westeros. Stannis' army waits outside Winterfell, meets Theon in the snow, who has finally escaped the Boltons. Theon and Yara reunite. Brienne reappears and tells Jaime he has to come with her and that she has found Sansa. Sam meets Pate/Jaquen when introduced to Archmaester Marwyn. Littlefinger reunites with Sansa and informs her of his plan to give her Winterfell. Jon receives the Pink Letter and delivers the Shieldhall speech, before being stabbed by his brothers.

I'm a huge fan of the books but I've got to say, I won't be that upset if the show overtakes the book, if only for some form of closure. And if the book series ends a few years after the show ill just go back and read them then. I am enthralled into the realm of westeros, ill take what I can get. It's like Logen Ninefingers said, you have to be realistic.

It seems like we have one of these threads every week. I'm not all that worried. I think GRRM knew what he was doing when he sold the rights to the story, that he would be hard pressed to finish the last two books ahead of the production schedule of the show, but also that he was capable of getting it done.

And it's not like his prediction from early 2000's ever failed, did they?

Tyrion, Jon, Dany, Stannis and Melisandre, Davos Seaworth, and all the rest of the characters you love or love to hate will be along next year (I devoutly hope) in A Dance with Dragons, which will focus on events along the Wall and across the sea, just as the present book focused on King’s Landing. —George R. R. Martin June 2005

They bought the rights to the story and I think they can continue even if the books aren't published.

I seriously do hope so!!! Even if I would prefer G R R Ms books leading me to the ending of the story meanwhile I just hope to ever knowing how it ends at all :cool4: and the TV series is not that bad!!!

Archived