Questions

*i JUST WANT TO KNOW PEOPLE THOUGHTS AND IDEAS ON THE QUESTIONS PROPOSED. SOME OF YOUR IDEAS MY BORDER ON HERESY, THATS FINE LET ME HEAR IT*

So I've been wondering for a while about a few things in Westeros/Essos history. Starting with the Age of Heros timeline. I just wanted to know others thoughts specifically on these questions and what theories have others put together in relation to these questions. I have not made my mind up on a few things reguarding the whole Azor Ahai, Last Hero, Lightbringer thing. I'm just look for info or a really good solid theory.

1. The Children of the Forrest (CotF) inhabited Westeros first

2. The First Men (FM) arrive

Q. Where were the FM originally from?

Why did they leave?

3. The CotF & FM war against each other

4. They make a peace pact

5. The Long Night (LN) happens (8000 years before the War of conquest)

6. Winter lasts a generation; thousands die of hunger

Q. How long is a generation ?

7. The Others appear.

8. The Others raise armies of the dead. THey attak the CoTF & FM and drive them south

9. The FM seek out the CotF. The CotF and FM come together to try and stop the Others.

Q. At what point was it discovered that Dragonglass could killl an Other?

A. Legend states that the Last Hero (LH) forged a sword of fire that drove the Others back.

Q. Was this sword an actuall sword or was it indeed a band of men; like the Nights Watch (NW) as some have suggested?

If the LH actually used a sword was it made of Dragonglass?

B. It is also legend that the first members of the NW drove the others back

C. Legend also states that the LH had a band of 12 men when he sought out the CotF and all the men died

Q. Was the LH/Azor Ahai (AA) a member of the band of men that might have dubbed themselves the NW?

Was the LH/AA Bran the builder (Btb)?

Were those 12 men the first NW?

Was Btb the first LC of the NW?

D. In a story about the LN told by Salladhor Saan the LH/AA uses a sword to kill

E. When the story about the forging of Lightbringer is being told it says that he tempered it three times. The last time being with the heart of his greatest loved one, Nissa Nissa. It's said that "her cry of anguish and ecstasy left a crack across the face of the moon, but her blood and her soul, and her strength. and her courage all went into the steel."

E1. It sounds just a bit like the story Danys handmaid was telling; "Once there were two moons in the sky, but one wandered too close to the sun and cracked from the heat. A thousand thousand dragons poured forth, and drank the fire of the sun. That is why dragons breathe flame. One day the other moon will kiss the sun too, and then it will crack and the dragons will return.”

Q. Was this blood magic?

Was AA of Valyrian descent? (Remember my first question, did the FM come from Valaryia? Were the Valyrians before the doom actually the second inhabitants of Valyria? I really don't expect you to answer these two, they just came to me as I typed this.

Is there a connection between the two stories; Lightbringer and the return of the dragons?

Boltons and the Faceless Men- Added though

The Boltons are blood of the FM. They have used to practice/still do practice the art of flaying their victims and then wearing the skins.

The Faceless Men actually wear the faces of dead individuals. Do you think there is any connection between the two?

If you go to the Citadel & read some of the Concordance it might help answer lots of your questions, to be honest, there's just so many on your OP I don't think you will get many replies.

One I will try to tackle a couple of questions thought:

It is thought that Dragonglass or obsidian appears to be lost knowledge of LH/CotF on how to kill the Others/White Walkers, after discovering the cachet near the fist of the first men, Jon distributes some of the arrowheads & knives, gives one to Sam (along with a small cracked horn that might or might not be the Horn of Joramun.) this happens to be the only weapon he has when facing an Other & lo & behold it kills him so lost knowledge is being re-discovered & will help defeat the Others again.

There is a little believed theory that Bran the Builder may also be the LH as he used Magic to help build the Wall after defeating the Others & ending the long night & also built Winterfell.

To answer your first question, the First Men came from Essos. They crossed over a land bridge connecting the two continents, Why? Well, why does anyone ever go and settle a new place. Anyways, once they started fighting with the COTF the Children used magic to destroy the land bridge and halt the invasion of the FM. That land became the island chain known as the Stepstones.

Q. How long is a generation ?

About twenty-thirty years I think.

Q. At what point was it discovered that Dragonglass could killl an Other?

They Children of the Forest fought with dragonglass when the First Men first arrived, and were outmatched by their bronze weapons. I suspect the Children knew at that time that their Dragonglass weapons were effective against the Others.

A. Legend states that the Last Hero (LH) forged a sword of fire that drove the Others back.

Q. Was this sword an actuall sword or was it indeed a band of men; like the Nights Watch (NW) as some have suggested?

If the LH actually used a sword was it made of Dragonglass?

B. It is also legend that the first members of the NW drove the others back

C. Legend also states that the LH had a band of 12 men when he sought out the CotF and all the men died

Q. Was the LH/Azor Ahai (AA) a member of the band of men that might have dubbed themselves the NW?

Was the LH/AA Bran the builder (Btb)?

Were those 12 men the first NW?

Was Btb the first LC of the NW?

We don't really have answers for most of these questions. Brandon the Builder was the first King of Winter I believe, so he would not have been the first Lord Commander of the Watch.

Aside from the questions that have already been answered. Sam says –in Jon’s first chapter in ACOK I believe-- that the COTF gave the Night’s Watch a yearly supply of Dragonglass weaponry. We can assume that they were the first to obtain this knowledge (though it doesn’t necessarily have to be the case), but we don’t know when it was obtained, nor do we know much about the relationship between the COTF and the others. Very little is known about the Last Hero, Prince That Was promised, and Azor Ahai or how the three might relate to each other, same goes for their swords (or their wives) which could potentially be something else. Not much known about these men and the Night’s watch either. The story about Azor Ahai could technically be considered blood magic, although some might want to avoid this description as it has rather negative implications.

FM and Valyrians came from the same region, the continent of Essos, but are two distinct ethnic groups. There are many speculations about the similarities between the legends of the three mentioned above, and how such similar legends exist in both Essos and Westeros. Same goes, to a lesser extent, about the Boltons, their potential connection to anything occult, and the faceless men.

Hope this helps.

The information in the Wiki says that the Others were finally defeated by the men of the newly formed Night's Watch. So I'd say the Last Hero was instrumental in founding the group. Likely he found the CotF, learned from them how to defeat the Others, and then went back and recruited more men now that they had a fighting chance (and since his 12 companions died).

Some of us think that the AA legend is just a cultural variation of the story of the LH. So the two are based on the same person, but the details got changed over time. We have yet to learn how much of either is true. AAR, would be the new LH or TPtwP, more than likely. Aemon seemed to think AAR and TPtwP are the same and he was right a lot of the time. It's also possible that TPtwP will be different from the new LH. We could end up with two heroes. In which case I'd say Bran is the new Last Hero.

There's no known connection between the Boltons and the Faceless men. For one thing the Boltons were said to wear men's skins like cloaks. No mention was made of them wearing their victim's faces. Flaying is cruel, but what the FM do is magic. It isn't just wearing the face, you get the memories of the person as well. And per the prologue of AFFC, there is no flaying involved. It's more of a dissolving process. There's a thread (something about getting Blood from a Bolton) that has some fascinating ideas about Roose. You might want to check it out.

Oh, and according to Old Nan, the Others came during the Long Night, not after.

ETA: I've got a theory about Night's King and the Last Hero. Not ready to post it, but if you want I'd be willing to discuss it over messages.

The information in the Wiki says that the Others were finally defeated by the men of the newly formed Night's Watch. So I'd say the Last Hero was instrumental in founding the group. Likely he found the CotF, learned from them how to defeat the Others, and then went back and recruited more men now that they had a fighting chance (and since his 12 companions died).

Some of us think that the AA legend is just a cultural variation of the story of the LH. So the two are based on the same person, but the details got changed over time. We have yet to learn how much of either is true. AAR, would be the new LH or TPtwP, more than likely. Aemon seemed to think AAR and TPtwP are the same and he was right a lot of the time. It's also possible that TPtwP will be different from the new LH. We could end up with two heroes. In which case I'd say Bran is the new Last Hero.

There's no known connection between the Boltons and the Faceless men. For one thing the Boltons were said to wear men's skins like cloaks. No mention was made of them wearing their victim's faces. Flaying is cruel, but what the FM do is magic. It isn't just wearing the face, you get the memories of the person as well. And per the prologue of AFFC, there is no flaying involved. It's more of a dissolving process. There's a thread (something about getting Blood from a Bolton) that has some fascinating ideas about Roose. You might want to check it out.

Oh, and according to Old Nan, the Others came during the Long Night, not after.

ETA: I've got a theory about Night's King and the Last Hero. Not ready to post it, but if you want I'd be willing to discuss it over messages.

Sure, i'll send you a message!

Archived